Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Poll, is Einstein wrong?

Nexus 6

Is Einstein wrong?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is Einstein wrong?

Simple, been a lot of threads and many posts on the neutrino news. Is the great man wrong?

I am in no way any kind of expert in such matters, what convinced me its false was hearing Prof Jim Al-Khalili say he believed it was probably wrong.

That's good enough for me :glasses2:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prof Jim Al-Khalili say he believed it was probably wrong.

He put it a little stronger than that!

Jim Al-Khalili: It's not that I am closed to new discoveries, but rather that FTL travel violates causality for f**k's sake.

Jim Al-Khalili: Right, if the CERN experiment proves to be correct and neutrinos have broken the speed of light, I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV.

My impression is that the OPERA team are in effect saying "there's something weird here that we haven't been able to understand in terms of systematic effects, so this needs further investigation and, if true, would imply superluminal neutrinos" - but the rumour mill of the media etc. has really only picked up on the last two words.

He was right for his day but physical laws and scientific laws change all the time as our understanding of the universe around us increases. From what I know about Einsteins theory it has never quite sat right with me but it has been a long time since I studied it and I was never good enough in the subject matter to put a solid enough case forward as to why it never sat right.

If it is proved to be wrong them I do think that people should consider that without it our understanding would not have got to the stage it has where it can be disproved. Sometimes an almost right theory is as important to the pursuit of knowledge as a correct theory.

That is my stance anyway but I am sure there are some on here in a position to make a more informed statement but I left the world of physics to pursue a career in I.T. nearly two decades and half a lifetime ago.

I voted yes in the absence of a better option :glasses2:

The great man wasn't wrong - just going on the evidence available on the day and the technology available.

And lets face it hasn't been proven wrong yet :rolleyes:

However some of his theories/equations for me are missing an important element - which I find extremely strange. This has puzzled me and for the life of me can't see how his equations could ever work without this missing constant.

But on a larger scale - I find it incredulous that we as a species feel we can make claims of Knowledge of the universe and its mechanics from a tiny point of view.

Physics can work to a degree here - but not else where...such as inside a black hole - quasar - pulsar...etc.

Its like two ants on an elephant claiming the world is grey....

It's also disturbing how some elements are quick to jump on and claim yes the physics is right....why??? been to the ends of the universe and researched every element and its behaviour have we??

It also smacks of the same self belief that scientists say they know how the pyramids were built and how the egyptian pharoahs lived.

We don't have a clue - just an very small understanding based on the evidence we have been able to gather and interpretations from ancient writings such as glyphs.

Which is the same as making claims of the workings of the universe.....very small evidence from a very small point in the universe.

We have an idea....but that's all it is.

I have a saying - Theories are the ideas of the unsure..

Which is a shame as some theories are fact such as electronics theroies such as thevenin/norton which should be renamed as facts or laws...for clarity...

Were he alive today I'm sure Einstein would be one of the first to admit that he made some mistakes and got some things wrong (in fact he famously did during his lifetime, regarding the gravitational constant). Assuming the results of the experiment can be shown to be correct however, I think it's likely that the worst we'll see is that his theory is considered incomplete rather than incorrect (which some might argue we already accept it is anyhow).

James

There is a subtle difference between being wrong and being "not right".

Newton was not right, but he certainly wasn't wrong.

Well put SM.

I have not voted cos there is no "maybe" :glasses2::)

I like Al-Khalili's TV stuff, lot of respect previously, but the stupid boxer shorts lark make him look more like a self-publisist :rolleyes:

Well put SM.

I have not voted cos there is no "maybe" ;):)

I like Al-Khalili's TV stuff, lot of respect previously, but the stupid boxer shorts lark make him look more like a self-publisist :(

Ah the dreaded BC effect...I hope it's not permenant... :glasses2::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just think of the opportunities for new T shirt-slogans provided by this "discovery"...

Well perhaps I should have worded the question...do Neutrinos travel faster than light? Yes or No?

Einstein was not wrong...

I thought there has to be either a Yes or No to this question with no other maybe, could be, not sure option.

Kept it to that

thanks for looking and voting folks :glasses2:

we're talking about quantum physics. The answer is usually Yes and No.
Only after Alan has opened the box, looked at the result and thus collapsed the superposition of all states :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I think I remember something about probability density functions as well ?:glasses2:

Archived