NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

i'll take your 100 and raise you some

WayBig

Every eyepiece has been tested in a meter of water, apparently. So it should be handy in low lying areas when the sea levels rise :)

I think everyone was horror struck when the Ethos prices came out at over $500 but look how many folks own one or more of those now.

Where next, I wonder :(

I think it's nitrogen/argon in, air out. Not sure what advantage argon has over nitrogen.
My double glazing is Argon filled (so I'm told - though since I'm in no position to test the statement I just take it on faith). Maybe the EP manufacturers do it ti keep more heat in :(
I'd like to see them helium purged - might make them lighter
Ahhh, but the molecule is a lot smaller so it would all leak out quicker. Which could be the reason for Using Argon instead of N2

From their web blurb

Pushing the boundaries of eyepiece design, Explore Scientific spent years developing the 120 degree eyepiece, adding to it the bonus of an Argon purged interior space ensuring that your investment is immune to the outside environment and your eyepiece never falls victim to a damp night.

What a load of twaddle.

If the air inside is dry, you'll get no condensation on the inside. If moisture can get in, it'll still get in despite being "agron purged"

Besides which, "agron purged" means the removal of Argon, it should say "purged with Argon". Condensation on the outside will not be affected by the exotic gas mix held between the lense.

The molecule of Argon (which is actually an atom as it is inert) is smaller than the Oxygen molecule, so will leak out quicker than a normal atmosphere. This would be replaced with potentially moist air, so this could work out to be a bad thing.

Typical of the rubbish they use for advertising these days, just like hair shampoo with "beta-ceranides" or whatever new word they make up this week.

I really thought people here would be a little more scientific and discount this kind of thing.

for me at least, the 100 degree field is more than enough, bordering on too much already. I have a 13mm Ethos and really like it but I generally prefer to see the whole field stop comfortably if possible and with the Ethos that's difficult. therefore it's about the quality of the view for me. these eyepieces seem very very good but I think I'll stick to Naglers and Panoptics in the future.

Love to get one, it is amazing the speed of development in the last few years! How long were naglers stuck at 82degrees?? Can't help but push the cost of the 80degree ep down, which can't be a bad thing. What's al nagler going to come out with next? Maybe time to invest in a plain old 100degree ep!

Cheers

PEterW

for me at least, the 100 degree field is more than enough, bordering on too much already. I have a 13mm Ethos and really like it but I generally prefer to see the whole field stop comfortably if possible and with the Ethos that's difficult.....

For Christmas Shane I'm going to make you a cardboard field stop so that you can stop your 100 degree Ethos down a bit :(

Archived