Hello there from Stevenage, Herts

Daz1974

Morning all.

Have taken a keener interest in the night sky over the last year or so.

So far Ive been looking up with nothing more than my eyes, and google skies & heavens above apps on my tablet. These have helped me see numerous iridium flares, and a few ISS orbits.

Last month while camping in Cornwall me and hte missus sat outside with our heads pointing upwards. We were amazed at how much we saw and that really got me thinking about getting a bit more serious about the hobby.

Im looking to step it up now and buy either a telescope or binoculars. Have read many sites and there is a lot of good (but differing) opinions on what to go for.

Also intersted in any local peoples opinions on good viewing places in/around the north herts/essex area.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Welcome to SGL,

Stevenage eh! I think I know where that is :( There are a few of us on the forum.

What you need to think about first is whether you want to observe, image or both. If you don't have anything special in mind then binoculars or a cheap travel scope can get you started.

You can stay at the cheaper end if you have the will power or spend more than Greece does :)

Hi from an honorary member of the Stevenage Mafia (WelHat actually).

As mentioned above the Hertford Astronomy Group are meeting tonight at Hatfield Cricket Pavillion (next to the QEII Hospital on Ascot's Lane). Website: www.hertsastro.org.uk.

Also, Letchworth & District AS hold their meetings at Elizabeth Howard Hall in Hillshott and have separate skywatching sessions from their observatory based at Standalone Farm. Website: www.ldas.org.uk.

Wow, didnt realise there were so many North Herts based people here.

onesmallstep/Dag, thanks for the headsup but it was a little too short notice for this evening. I have had a look at the Letchworth group and will try to pop along to the farm at one of their events.

BlueAstra - Im in Great Ashby, so not to ofar from Martins Way

StevieDVD - Primarily just for viewing. I only have a Sony DSC-H55 compact and not a DSLRso cant see myself going down the photography route. Ive got £200-£250 to spend and would need something quite compact that can be stored when not being used, as those of you who know the area, some of the houses up this part of stevenage are no bigger than shoeboxes!!To everyone else, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Archived