NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter GRS Sept 1st final process

Space Cowboy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stuart you know i can almost see imaging source work by looking at the images, dont know exactly what it is, maybe the higher frame rates over say webcams and colour control maybe. but thats a classic IS shot. Your balance is the kind of balance i have been doing on occassion, no extra contrast luminence ect, letting the levels remain as they are.

I have to say over time ive been rather changing my mind on this, adding more luminence to the shots, which makes the shot more vibrant, but the white clouds can often glow more artificially.

which is one reason i resisted this kind of processing. But its personal taste, and as mentioned personal taste can change often, the more we do this stuff.

Maybe you will change your routines over time as you do more and more of this hard to say.

But i know exactly what your trying to portray here, as mentioned its the approach ive also had, though as mentioned im slowly changing my mind on this, with a balance closer maybe to the likes of Kolatcha man i dont know.

Either way, its a nice unforced unaltered. closer to the original capture type of balance. Hope you dont

mind me discussing this, i find it so much more interesting, than Great shot, great shot, great shot, great shot. ect ect. You get the point, of course it is a great shot, so ill say that too .But i think your interested ( hope ) you really want to know what i think, not just your the man, which considering your using dob tracking you are too

"Great shot, great shot, great shot, great shot. ect ect"

Please don't criticise or discourage compliments - we're all at different stages with AP and some beginners are so impressed that they want to offer a good remark but don't feel experienced enough to give constructive advice.

I'm sure most imagers appreciate it, we are all friends here ater all :)

"Great shot, great shot, great shot, great shot. ect ect"

Please don't criticise or discourage compliments - we're all at different stages with AP and some beginners are so impressed that they want to offer a good remark but don't feel experienced enough to give constructive advice.

I'm sure most imagers appreciate it, we are all friends here ater all :)

No of course i wasnt suggesting theres anything wrong in that at all, like you say theres all different levels here, thats fully understood and appreciated. But remember that comment goes both ways, those that have been around the block a few times, might enjoy getting more out of interacting with other planetary imagers, on a more personal level.

I hope thats understood and appreciated too. A forum for everyone of course.I respect others that only want that side to forum life. sometimes finding it hard to have that go both ways maybe ?

If i start to feel that side to astronomy forum life is not wanted here, i think ill have to reconsider posting. Its just as mentioned, After a few years of being on forums, and continual learning and improvements. it wears a bit thin, with the great shot great shot great shot. each to hes own. I think the problem maybe, there are many on here where thats all they actually want. ) nothing wrong with that of course )

and theres maybe a small group of more experianced images, who may want to interact on a more learning personal level. Im not sure. maybe a new category would be a good idea. planetary imaging advanced critical review and learning, or somthing ? always seem to find myself explaining myself, because i like to interact in a constructive personal way, with close imaging freinds ? feeling it might be time to stop coming here. ill have to think about this. Apologies Stuart straying off topic. but you know what i think of your progress. which is very good

Good comments Neil, and of course the detailed discussions are most welcome here - the forum wouldn't be the same without it, and I have learned much from them myself (especially your posts). :)

It's also nice to get the "good shot" messages too - this weeks "good shot wannabe" may be next years imager of the month and I wouldn't want to discourage that in any way at all. There's room for both.

If I read you wrong then please accept my apologies. :D

Yes all comments are welcome. Its fine to say "Great shot" but if you say "thats a load of xxxx" then I would like a full explanation :)

I guess its easy to get carried away when writing a comment almost like your writing a PM and forgetting other people are reading it and its human nature for them to raise an eyebrow in one way or another. :D

Good comments Neil, and of course the detailed discussions are most welcome here - the forum wouldn't be the same without it, and I have learned much from them myself (especially your posts). :)

It's also nice to get the "good shot" messages too - this weeks "good shot wannabe" may be next years imager of the month and I wouldn't want to discourage that in any way at all. There's room for both.

If I read you wrong then please accept my apologies. :D

No apolgie needed Brantuk, Sometimes i think what i say can be misinterpreted. Which is not intentional, but by nature of coming away from the short praise approach, it does cause a certain amount of confusion i think. Because i assume we are all freinds, i think my comments will always be seen in that light, and im not sure they always are. Starting to feel. the process of friendly review, is a little too complicated in human nature. ive felt it before. but stubbornly refuse to accept it can not be a part of forum life. im having my doubts lately. Stuart your comments are correct, i do like to talk on open access forum like a pm. to be constrained by quick responses, takes a lot of the fun for wanting to intereact away for me personally. Kind of feeling its rather not wanted generally, ( perhaps not from you ) but generally

i know you possibly appreciate critical review, as its often more productive. I certainly do. but just not sure its wanted generally.

As the other approach is far simpler. with less pitfalls, and less chance of being misunderstood. but for me personally its also on a pretty basic level. with little chance of picking more up, and learning more. ive learned some things from you lately is a case in point. I dont like explaining motives. because im finding i have to its, really going a bit too far. Steves simple observation is i think the correct one. But sadly im not sure its that simple

Great shot Stu !

I'm joking of course, but your just getting better and better. That new cam seems to be working very well for you.

Watch out though I should be getting a 200p next week to add to the Mak for some planetary work.

Just got to get some clear skies ! Are you going to the Peak star party ?

Great shot!

Personally, I wouldn't propse fiddling with any of the levels at all. You have captured Jupiter cleanly and crisply there. The colours are as natural as we can expect them, not been able to see Jupiter up close, so I think it's a good job all round.

I think that, sometimes, reference to Hubble images or those taken by others with different equipment, conditions etc, can cause one to expect certain results, which aren't necessarily there.

So, great shot, well done.

1500 frames from 11000 quality graded in Ninox then split into RGB and each channel stacked in Registax then recombined in image analyzer with some deconvolution work.

11000 frames? Is that 60FPS over three minutes? I can only manage 30FPS on Jupiter with my DBK. Is yours the camera with the new imaging sensor? It must be at least twice as sensitive as my older version camera. Very impressive.

I think some are in it for a wind up lol, but hey if thats there level of expertise and interaction. Good luck i hope the advice is correct, because if its not, or lets say falls short of constructive advice, ( a yes man if you will stuart ) it possibly could hold some back that may progress further, and benefit from discussion. what a shame, not to try new things.

Some may not want to, and thats perfectly ok. a forum, for everyone, begginers and advanced alike. But some that enjoy interacting on a personal level. shouldnt, have to keep explaining themselves, if they realize, your all my friends. And on that note why is explanation needed ?

I never said it wasnt a great shot, it is indeed a great shot, with the equipment your using, its a very very great shot. But i was just making a personal statement, Explaining why i sometimes personally i like to get away from that being the ONLY INPUT.

And often im told others appreciate that from me, If quick comments are the only input people want to give, thats fine, each to hes own. but for me i find it interesting talking about the finer things. And not just on others shots, too. I told John h, not to continually praise my work, and to sometimes tell me what hes experianced eye really thinks, as i learn so much more from that kind of interaction.

As hes experiance and eye often exceed my own.

I certianly wouldnt take it personally enough to continually dissagree with people, like a upset child lol.

I never for one minute suggest im right all the time. but Obviously from some reactions we get, it seems no matter what i say i will always be wrong. my advice somehow off. And a suggestion could never ever make a improvement lol. If people truely belive that. than there experiance must far far exceed mine. in which case its funny how they never really bring it to the table, but just dissagree with me all time.

Each to there own Stuart, as mentioned before, you know what i think of your work. ive been so impressed with how your work has progressed in the last year. And because you know i really mean that, any attempts to undermine my enjoyment and interaction with freinds like you, is a little nasty really. But i guess, it will all just be explained as another viewpoint. untill such time any advice i give showed a clear improvement. Which would be strongly denied from some that as i say, are in it for a wind up. what a helpfull level of expertise to bring to freinds ? So i may continue to offer friendly construtive advice to those who i think are interested in learning and improving there work, if others want to continually give there viewpoint and dissagree with my advice thats fine, but at some point maybe my advice will show such a clear improvement. that attempts to undermine my interaction. will be seen for what they are. not a viewpoint but sour grapes

Hi Stuart,

An very nice image with a natural look, not over processed. You have captured detail inside the GRS which is an achievement. Well done.

I notice a slight ringing which is a artifact problem at 60fps on the IS range of cameras, I have one as well. I would recommend shooting at 30fps but keep the 1/60sec exposures to reduce seeing blur.

IS have supposed to have fixed this on their new 618 chipped DMK range.

Best regards

Peter

To all,

Regarding comments posted, I believe we have to keep the forum as open and honest as possible. We all welcome constructive coments and help, only if there are negative or offensive comments do the moderators need to get involved.

I'm just as happy to get a 'great image' comment as a more decerning reply. What kills a forum is no replies at all and everyone just watching............

People who take the time to critique or offer advice should be applauded and it is by this interaction or reading through the archive of posts that we learn. One thing is for sure, you never stop learning with astrophotography!

Clear skies :)

Peter

Hi Neil,

The old DMK suffered with 60fps ringing, I have many examples. I don't believe re-chipping with the 618 has made this worse. It is an electronics issue due to ringing in the readout circuit at high frame rates. It does not happen every time, but always seemed worse when more detail was present in the image! The Latest range have a mod to address this so I am told.

regards

Peter

Yes Pretty much agree with all that youve said, both the other stuff, And the astronomy.I too had those ringing effects on both the DMK and DFK DBK. but as you say my new camera, and Stuarts shouldnt suffer from this problem. well i know mine doesnt i have examples. Interesting you saying it doesnt happen all the time, is that comments related to the rechipped camera ? my cameras ( pre 618) seemed to suffer everytime i tried Peter. Although i noticed lunar seemed to fair better. But that might have been because it was purely not as noticable as planets ? Im sure stuart will explain more fully. but i dont think it was the camera, it was settings on this occassion, after discussion with stuart Peter

Great shot :) really is a fantasic image though Stuart , you seem to have your routine more or less sorted and it shows . The new IS cams look great can see myself investing in soon which will then probaby make me want to invest in a larger scope lol .

Excellent Stuart,

really nice fine details here, great result :)

good data is well worth spending time with, this isn't as bright as ur other versions but prob more natural looking for that,

depending on ones own preference ofcourse

looking forward to more, is this 100% capture size BTW ?

James

Archived