Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQTooth

dmahon

Has anyone tried this that I saw on astro buy/sell and subsequently googled?

EQTooth - Bluetooth EQMOD adapter for EQ6/NEQ6/HEQ5/NEQ5/NEQ3 mounts - ScopeYard

It would appear to be a wireless EQMOD adapter. A search here didn't give any hits.

I'm in the middle of tidying my very messy imaging setup, velcroing a USB hub and dew heater control to my mount head and cabletieng cables together. I was considering switching my HiTec adapter for a shoestring USB cable without the "box" bit in the middle, but this appears to be a neat solution to the computer-mount interface (and has the advantage that if I upgrade to an NEQ6 in future, I will still be able to use it).

Anyone know if it needs batteries, or if it is powered from the mount?

OK I have installed EQtooth on an HEQ5 using stellariumscope and EQmod.

What can I say, it took about 5 mins to get it working perfectly. for me, who wants to be able to move my scope around from site to site, it is perfect because I can sit in my car with the doors closed and the heater on when imaging late at night from darksites.

Basically, plug the unit into your hand controller port, plug a dongle into your USB port and wait for Windows to install the drivers.

One thing, initially Windows couldn't find the drivers to install the dongle for me (Vista 32bit) but I tried a different USB port and it worked fine, no problem.

You will need to change some protocols for the virtual COM ports in your device manager but other than that nothing to do.

I haven't tried it with CDC but with Stellarium scope, when you choose your mount and go into properties you need to check which COM port numbers you have been assigned for the virtual COM ports by windows when it installed them. For me it was COM3 and COM4 and it will only work with COM3, there is a dropdown list to select which port you want it to communicate through.

All in all it is highly recommended.

• 5 months later...

Can I just add my positive feedback for the EQTooth module from Sergey (Kaminovs). Got mine yesterday and have just installed it. Works perfectly through EQMOD/ASCOM and CDC connects without a hitch. Mine came with a nice serial connector with plastic capped connector screws - not the horrible little things that came with my HiTecAstro EQDirect module. Overall it looks very well made and does exactly what it should.

p.s. Sergey also supplies it with a Bluetooth USB dongle so if your PC hasn't already got Bluetooth then you won't have to buy a dongle separately.

My only concern is do I need yet another thing that can go wrong during a session. I tried controlling an EQ6 and my focuser with a Wiimote for a while before I realized that it wasn't worth the hassle of troubleshooting whenever it went wrong.

• 9 months later...

Just to bump this topic, I just got my EQTooth and it took me all of 15 minutes to get it set up (and that included downloading EQMod, Stellarium, etc.). This thing works a treat! This is a solid product and I recommend it! One fewer wire to run and my scope slewed perfectly and parked itself too without a hitch.

Great job Sergey!

• 2 years later...

Archived