Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Word of warning!!!

Hi all,

I've got a SW EQ5 which I have used maybe 3 or 4 times in the last few months since I got it from FLO (none of what I'm about to say is their fault). I havn't been able to use it much due to weather, work and the short nights...all the reasons for lack of observing in the UK. The other afternoon I got mount and scope out to set up, now the thing is I'm a bit obsesive about following instructions...big mistake. The SW instructions state that when balancing the scope you should set the altitude to within certain limits,for example, when balancing the tube you should set the altitude between 60 degrees and 70 degrees and then return it to your location altitude when balanced. This is what I did, only to find that the adjustment screw jammed in the screw hole, probably cross threaded, the screw stuck solidly so I attempted to free it with pliars.....yep, you guessed it the screw snapped inside the screw hole!!!!....nightmare, the mount is now useless!!

The worst thing is, this is the second time this has happened to me, a very similar thing happened with my first EQ2 mount, the screw cross threaded and stuck in the shaft, on that occasion Skies & Scopes changed the mount head for me. The problem is that this design does not work well when screwing the screw in to reach higher altitudes, I would advise that you do NOT follow the SW instructions, I can't see that it would make any difference to leave the altitude at your location altitude when balancing, I believe that this is a design fault on Skywatcher's part and I will be writing to them to say so.

I have e mailed FLO requesting a replacement, I hope they take pity on me and help me out as the mount is only a few months old. Failing that does anyone know of somewhere that could repair this problem, it would need drilling out, re-threading and a new screw making. If any member from the Cheshire, Merseyside or Manchester area knows of somewhere I could take it to as I don't really want to send it anywhere.

Hope this stops anyone else making the same mistake, that instruction shouldn't be in the manual in my opinion

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, if you get the situation resolved consider a set of replacement bolts (this issue is a common one for SW mounts unfortunately.) The bolts just don't seem to be up to the job.

Modernastronomy sell the more costly sets (with ratchets) for £25, though others will advocate going to B&Q and picking up some simply stronger bolts.

Hi,

I have an EQ3-2, and I've had a similar problem tonight. Trying to align the polar scope to the RA axis, I noticed I couldn't lower the axis enough to focus on a rooftop as the rear bolt was stuck. I've taken it apart and found the bolt bent. Fortunately I have managed to remove it without damaging the head.

Surely with this many problems someone at SW must work out this is damaging their reputation?! I can buy a better bolt for a couple of quid, so why can't they just use decent materials in the first place?

Jiggy, I sincerely wish you luck in your quest - you'll defo be able to get it done, but I hope it doesn't cost you too much.

Mike

I just ordered a SW EQ5 mount, RA circle all bent and polar eyepiece protector cup all cracked.

Sky watcher sure do have a quality control issue.

Im still waiting on FLO to get back to me. Trading standards are always a quick email away :)

I set my latitute to my location and balanced it there, the screws won't go in far enough to raise it to 60 or 70 lol, I was just glad to get it set to my latitude. It seems to balance fine on that.

My next mount probably will NOT be a sky watcher.

Im still waiting on FLO to get back to me. Trading standards are always a quick email away

I dont see that you would need to contact trading standards where flo are concerned, being a bank holiday weekend they wont be picking up emails, im sure you will get a response very soon

I too dont think you will have any bother with FLO, an answer will be on its way tomorow I am sure.

FWIW, I personally dont like to move the altitude of a mount with weight on it, especially using standard bolts, they are just too soft.. I polar align before I put the scopes on, then it only needs checked after building, and only sometimes needs a little tweek afterwards.

Get a set of the upgrade bolts, yes they are expensive but they are good.

Gary

If you can get it sorted under warranty then no sleep lost but if you cant it's a relatively easy fix anyway. All you need do is flip the altitude scale caps off. Behind is a 15MM ? bolt which you undo to separate the base from the mount. This will then reveal the bent bolt. Undo this with pliers then put the mount back together making sure not to over tighten the two 15mm bolts. The caps can be glued back on with a couple dabs of super glue. Take the whole bent bolt to B&Q and ask a member of staff to find you an A2 bolt of similar length. OK you will now have to carry around a 13mm spanner but you will never have to worry about bent bolts again and the whole ordeal will have only cost £3 or £4.

This may offer some insight into the problem http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/125300-warning-bendy-eq6-altitude-bolts.html

Im still waiting on FLO to get back to me. Trading standards are always a quick email away :)

Be fair Mark, you contacted us only yesterday (Sunday) and today is Bank Holiday Monday...

Someone will be on the case when we reopen tomorrow.

HTH,

Steve

All I can say about FLO is that they are a very good company to deal with. They are always willing to go the extra mile to help you out, I wish more companies would be as good as them to deal with. As you only contacted them over the weekend, I'm sure they will be in contact with you as soon as they open shop. Even they deserve a bank holiday.

Thank you.

All I can say about FLO is that they are a very good company to deal with. They are always willing to go the extra mile to help you out, I wish more companies would be as good as them to deal with. As you only contacted them over the weekend, I'm sure they will be in contact with you as soon as they open shop. Even they deserve a bank holiday.

Thank you.

Actually it was Friday at 15:40, I am looking at the email right now, are you?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with FLO, but I do have one with SW. Its ok to say "where would you get a reasonably priced alternative" but this issue is a matter of pennies for a company of their size, this isn't a question of overall design but a question of using quality materials in a very basic and integral area of the product.....the simple fact is they are scimping on a very basic part of their machine and that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN....simple. I would pay an extra £2.50 for a part that does the job!! because at the moment the part doesn't

"I personally dont like to move the altitude of a mount with weight on it"

I agree with Gary here - I allways polar align the mount before loading it up with scope and weights. That way you don't get bent bolts. It's a sad ommission from the instructions.

Once polar aligned you can then load up and balance the axes. Small tweaks in alt and az will be fine once that's done and no bolts bent.

Far as Trading Standards go - I think it would be a totally unecessary knee jerk reaction. FLO look after all their customers and make a very fine job of it too. :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with FLO, but I do have one with SW. Its ok to say "where would you get a reasonably priced alternative" but this issue is a matter of pennies for a company of their size, this isn't a question of overall design but a question of using quality materials in a very basic and integral area of the product.....the simple fact is they are scimping on a very basic part of their machine and that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN....simple. I would pay an extra £2.50 for a part that does the job!! because at the moment the part doesn't

It is a sturdy solid mount, let down by lack of basic (or low) quality control and cheap materials on the accessorising.

Ok so say they close as 5pm for the weekend, you have allowed them 1 hours 20mins of office time to reply?

Of course thats petty but your mention of trading standards was quite uncalled for. :)

I am indeed, our system logs it's arrival at:

Mark, Aug-28 02:02 pm (BST)

I cannot explain why it arrived here a day after you sent it. Even so, if you emailed us Friday then I don't think it unreasonable for us to respond next working day (tomorrow).

Hi all,

I've got a SW EQ5 which I have used maybe 3 or 4 times in the last few months since I got it from FLO (none of what I'm about to say is their fault). I havn't been able to use it much due to weather, work and the short nights...all the reasons for lack of observing in the UK. The other afternoon I got mount and scope out to set up, now the thing is I'm a bit obsesive about following instructions...big mistake. The SW instructions state that when balancing the scope you should set the altitude to within certain limits,for example, when balancing the tube you should set the altitude between 60 degrees and 70 degrees and then return it to your location altitude when balanced. This is what I did, only to find that the adjustment screw jammed in the screw hole, probably cross threaded, the screw stuck solidly so I attempted to free it with pliars.....yep, you guessed it the screw snapped inside the screw hole!!!!....nightmare, the mount is now useless!!

The worst thing is, this is the second time this has happened to me, a very similar thing happened with my first EQ2 mount, the screw cross threaded and stuck in the shaft, on that occasion Skies & Scopes changed the mount head for me. The problem is that this design does not work well when screwing the screw in to reach higher altitudes, I would advise that you do NOT follow the SW instructions, I can't see that it would make any difference to leave the altitude at your location altitude when balancing, I believe that this is a design fault on Skywatcher's part and I will be writing to them to say so.

I have e mailed FLO requesting a replacement, I hope they take pity on me and help me out as the mount is only a few months old. Failing that does anyone know of somewhere that could repair this problem, it would need drilling out, re-threading and a new screw making. If any member from the Cheshire, Merseyside or Manchester area knows of somewhere I could take it to as I don't really want to send it anywhere.

Hope this stops anyone else making the same mistake, that instruction shouldn't be in the manual in my opinion

I may have read your post wrong (and what I am saying maybe what you are saying) but you seem to be confusing altitude and declination.

when setting up an EQ mount you set your altitude (about 53 degrees) by loosing both bolts right off and then moving by hand the mount to 53 degrees and tightening the bottom bolt until it rests easy at 53, only then do you tighten the top bolt. also then roughly align azimuth (point the N leg at polaris) with no weights or scope on the mount. you can then Polar align (again with no weights or scope on the mount). once set, and assuming you don't travel far north or south, the altitude bolts need never be touched again (hardly ever anyway).

you then add your scope etc and can balance it by releasing the declination and right ascension clutches to get the right balance points. once you have set up like this you can use the clutches loosened to move the scope up and down or left and right (not technically correct with an EQ mount) to the targets you wish to observe, using the slowmo controls or tracking to follow the target.

unless I am reading your post incorrectly, you seem to be using the altitude bolts to change the declination of the scope? i.e. to point at a target higher in the sky?

sorry if I got this wrong.

I am indeed, our system logs it's arrival at:

Mark, Aug-28 02:02 pm (BST)

I cannot explain why it arrived here a day after you sent it. Even so, if you emailed us Friday then I don't think it unreasonable for us to respond next working day (tomorrow).

That was the second email opened as a ticket, the first email was a reply to order confirmation.

As I said I am patient.

Ok so say they close as 5pm for the weekend, you have allowed them 1 hours 20mins of office time to reply?

Of course thats petty but your mention of trading standards was quite uncalled for. :)

If you don't like it, don't read it, simple.

I simply said trading standards is not far away if he had any problems, not my problem if you get your nickers in a twist over it.

I've got a SW EQ5 which I have used maybe 3 or 4 times in the last few months since I got it from FLO (none of what I'm about to say is their fault).

Hi Darren, I have found your email (recieved Saturday).

Unfortunately the bolts are rather soft. We are told they are designed that way so when someone forgets to loosen one before tightening another the bolt bends before the thread on the mount strips.

Replacing a bolt is quite easy, I'll phone when we reopen tomorrow :)

HTH,

Steve

I may have read your post wrong (and what I am saying maybe what you are saying) but you seem to be confusing altitude and declination.

when setting up an EQ mount you set your altitude (about 53 degrees) by loosing both bolts right off and then moving by hand the mount to 53 degrees and tightening the bottom bolt until it rests easy at 53, only then do you tighten the top bolt. also then roughly align azimuth (point the N leg at polaris) with no weights or scope on the mount. you can then Polar align (again with no weights or scope on the mount). once set, and assuming you don't travel far north or south, the altitude bolts need never be touched again (hardly ever anyway).

you then add your scope etc and can balance it by releasing the declination and right ascension clutches to get the right balance points. once you have set up like this you can use the clutches loosened to move the scope up and down or left and right (not technically correct with an EQ mount) to the targets you wish to observe, using the slowmo controls or tracking to follow the target.

unless I am reading your post incorrectly, you seem to be using the altitude bolts to change the declination of the scope? i.e. to point at a target higher in the sky?

sorry if I got this wrong.

Sorry Moonshane, you have read my post wrong. I am talking about BALANCING the scope. The instructions in the manual state that for best results when balancing you should set the altitude bolts to a certain setting (nothing to do with post set up when the the alt remains at 53 degrees for my location). The instructions state "For dec balancing...for best results, adjust the altitude of the mount to between 60 degrees and 75 degrees if possible" ....now I know it says "if possible" but I have been able to set it above 60 degrees and then it jams....this is the issue, the materials are not capable of screwing the bolt in that far. Also to correctly balance you need to have scope and all accesseries fitted

Chinese engineering may be improving over the last decade but their screws and bolts do still appear to be made of cheese. I would advise changing any load bearing fasteners on your beloved equipment with a quality EU stainless steel alternative. Hovever if you are really unlucky you might still find the occasional oddball Chinese thread size with no available replacement.......Why do they do that : (

Archived