Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neighbours and lights

There is one room opposite my back garden, they don't have curtains and it is on most of the night (even at 3am) so I can directly see the light shining, does anyone else have to contend with this, as that is the single biggest source of light pollution in my garden

And what to do?

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I shamelessly robbed Chris's idea and made one which is different. Maybe this can help you too?

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/152234-observing-screen.html

I think the exchange of ideas is one of the things that makes this forum great.

just observe naked, they'll soon switch it off. might be a bit cold though.

But then again, maybe not!

Cheers,

Chris

Shane, having read your suggestion I'm just worried that you don't burn your self with any dew heating strips!

Unfortunately, the only real solution in the longer term might be to find an observing site with a local observing group, which might not be as bad as you might think, as observing from home in the early hours does involve a lot of creeping about as you avoid making any noise which can be a hassle.

James

Microwave Magnetron + waveguide + power + aim = ???? alternatively you could get a projector and project p orn onto the white wall opposite, or just aim the telescope at their window, or a Co2 laser (just don't set their curtains on fire).

LOL. How about cutting their electricity? And if that doesn't work you can just ask them politely to turn of the lights.

If an elderly couple live in the offending house have left their bathroom light on, it may be due to the gentleman's need to make frequent nocturnal visits. The light is probably kept on to prevent him from tripping.

The occupants may have a little kid who is learning not to wet the bed, so needs the light on so he or she can find their way. A lot of toddlers are also scared of the dark and prefer to have the light on.

I always am very careful about other's interior lights - I view asking my neighbours to turn them off as an invasion of privacy, and I'd rather find a dark site than upset them. However, if I have the opportunity to talk to them, I may tell them I am into astronomy and say things like, "isn't it a shame the skies aren't dark enough - there's an awful lot of domestic light pollution around!" and hope they get the hint.

Astronomy can seem to be like an antisocial hobby, with the pre-requirements for a dark sky for one individual in the area potentially inconveniencing the majority who haven't even looked into the sky. The odds can often be stacked against us. :)

No neighbours, no lights, nothing at all to spoil my viewing :):(:D It's about time something went my way. Come the weekend my CPC800 will be arriving on the Island with lots of new kit to go with it YIPPEE.

If an elderly couple live in the offending house have left their bathroom light on, it may be due to the gentleman's need to make frequent nocturnal visits. The light is probably kept on to prevent him from tripping.

The occupants may have a little kid who is learning not to wet the bed, so needs the light on so he or she can find their way. A lot of toddlers are also scared of the dark and prefer to have the light on.

If you read my post you will see that I was in no way complaining about about the elderly couple who leave their bathroom light on, the reason I mentioned they were elderly was to point out the fact that the light is probably on for a good reason. I actually get on very well with the neighbours in question.

I believe they have every right to use their property as they see fit and there are many good reason why they may want to leave a light on. For that reason I would never ask them to turn the light off as I would not want to interfere with their use of their property.

For me, the light shield solves the problem of light from all overlooking windows and also gives me some privacy from people looking down from their windows trying to figure out what I am up to. This is all part of urban observing as far as I am concerned and I am happy to live with it.

Cheers,

Chris

If you read my post you will see that I was in no way complaining about about the elderly couple who leave their bathroom light on, the reason I mentioned they were elderly was to point out the fact that the light is probably on for a good reason. I actually get on very well with the neighbours in question.

I believe they have every right to use their property as they see fit and there are many good reason why they may want to leave a light on. For that reason I would never ask them to turn the light off as I would not want to interfere with their use of their property.

For me, the light shield solves the problem of light from all overlooking windows and also gives me some privacy from people looking down from their windows trying to figure out what I am up to. This is all part of urban observing as far as I am concerned and I am happy to live with it.

Cheers,

Chris

this is why I created my screen too. I like my neighbours and just want to make the most of my observing time so blocking any light out (which virtually surrounds me) will certainly help with that. I agree though that if the opportunity arises it's good to make suggestions in a way that makes it 'their idea'.

I have the same thing with bedroom lights but the two orange streetlights that light up my yard are a million times worse than the small glow from their window so I don't see it as an issue really, I'm more concerned by them watching me through the window.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

If you read my post, you'd realise that I wasn't referring to you, but to the OP, who asked for advice.

Light pollution, especially the type we can't tackle, is immensely frustrating. One may have to accept it is there, if there is no way to prevent it.

Chris & Coffee Prince, if you ever find a solution to this problem, please post it on here - you'd be helping other stargazers! :)

My new neighbour recently fitted a security light that went off every time I blinked in my own garden. Having explained how it was affecting my observing they taped off part of the sensor to prevent the light coming on so easily. I think that people often just don't realise the impact of their lighting, but I would bet that most would go out of their way to reach a compromise if asked.

You could try setting your scope up nice and early so its still daylight and point it at the window causing the problem. With any luck they will eventually notice it, think the worst and buy some curtains!!!.......Either that or call the police

My neighbour left her security light on the other bight.

I mentioned it the following day and she gladly turned it off.

As it happened, it had been turned off & back on in quick succession, which (on some designs) meant it was permenantly on.

She was not aware and I was actually saving her some money.

I don't know how she didn't notice it on all the time, but there is an amicable solution and that is all I was wanting.

I always am very careful about other's interior lights - I view asking my neighbours to turn them off as an invasion of privacy, and I'd rather find a dark site than upset them. However, if I have the opportunity to talk to them, I may tell them I am into astronomy and say things like, "isn't it a shame the skies aren't dark enough - there's an awful lot of domestic light pollution around!" and hope they get the hint.

Astronomy can seem to be like an antisocial hobby, with the pre-requirements for a dark sky for one individual in the area potentially inconveniencing the majority who haven't even looked into the sky. The odds can often be stacked against us. :)

Great advice there. When I lived in Wales I was at the point of marching over to my neighbours: they started keeping a security spotlight on every night, with the spot directed onto my garden not theirs! But then they came back from holiday and the light went off. It pushed me to find a better observing spot in my garden, so all was well in the end.

I live in a ground floor apartment now and my upstairs neighbours don't seem to have any curtains. It would be invasive if I pointed this out, I guess. I find I have to observe after 11.00 or 12.00, when all the lights start going out. But their lights are nothing compared to the streetlight looming over my fence.

Archived