Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Garradd ... and hooray!

The hooray is because I think I've finally sorted out (after several weeks) my issues over funny-shaped stars when using a coma corrector with my new SXVF-H9. (some of you may have read my tedious thread on this elsewhere). By subtly adjusting the spacing of the coma corrector with home-made washers made from the plastic cut from an old milk carton (aren't we a resourceful lot) I eventually seem to have hit on the optimum spacing at last.

Anyway, I tried a series of images in a rich star field as a test, and chose Comet Garradd as it's passing through a very nice area. Anyway, here's the result. Quick and dirty. No colour, darks, bias or flats, but at least the stars are round at last. Well, almost. I feel that I am back in action at last.

SXVF-H9, 20 x 1 minute exposures, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian, NEQ-6, guided with PHD guiding.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture13046-comet-garradd-2011-08-27-20minsa.jpg

And stacked on the comet:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture13045-comet-garradd-2011-08-27-20mins-centreda.jpg

And here's an animation of the motion in 20 minutes:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture13047-garradd3-60s001.gif

Archived