Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New member from london

Hawkpalmer

Hi all

Complete newbie here so please be gentle, lol

Looking at getting some equiptment in the near future for some astrophotography of planets/lunar and anything else a basic setup can provide. Not really into looking through a lense for hours on end tho so will probably ask a ton of questions and/or lurk quietly in the background reading as much info and trying to take it all in.

This new hobby will be for myself and my 14th old daughter who knows far more than me about planets/nebulae ect ect hope to get to some local meetings too.

Thanks for reading

Richard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Richard welcome to SGL :rolleyes:

That's a lot of daughters you've got there if she's your 14th lol.

For planets and moon photos a webcam is the best choice. Take a look at Morgans for the SPC880. It's a very cheap and effective way to get into imaging.

If you drop a thread in the beginners help section with your estimated budget - someone will suggest a scope to go with. I'd suggest a dual purpose scope - your daughter is bound to want to observe as well as take images. Enjoy the forum :)

I can only give you the advice i have taken from this forum and that works for me . Download Stellarium, Figure out some constellations. Go out and see them. Then buy some binos and find some hints of other objects. if those views excite you then buy a scope.... its worked for me

thanks for the warm welcome, appreciate it.

14th daughter......pmsl csa bill may put me out of this hobby before i get started :rolleyes:

will post up in relevant section what kit i need to suit my budget and what we would like to achieve.

cheers all

richard

Hi, Richard, and welcome to SGL.

Doesn't surprise me that your 14 year-old daughter knows more than you about astro - when my two daughters were 14, they thought they knew more than me about absolutely everything :rolleyes::D:D (come to that, they still do!)

Clear skies!

Wellcome from another newcomer to the group. I have been into amateur astronomy since before I was a teenager, but just recently have started dabbling with photography. I believe the digital process has made it much easier to obtain really good photographs, and when I received a Nikon D-80 from my Bro-in-Law, I HAD to try it on a telescope!

Stick around, and I am sure we will learn a LOT together as we continue reading the posts on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and answer them as well, if you know the answer to a question someone else asks.

Clear skies ! Jim S.

Archived