NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hurricane Irene

jmurray01

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be some new pics out of Irene,about 2 hours ago the eye "popped".It's now very defined and tight. Expected to go to cat 4 overnight tonight.

Johnny, if you need to do any shopping for groceries,do it now.I just got back from the store and nearly all staple foods are gone along with bottled water.

So far I am pretty well stocked, although Im going out tomorrow again just to be safe. I have to seal up my basement as much as possible, keep the flooding to a minimum. I saw the storm intensify on the news, hopefully it weakens a bit by the time it gets to us. I have to say this has been quite a strange week.

The last I saw, it should be a cat 1 near you,75-85mph sustained, of course higher gusts.There still is a chance that the high pressure system over the Atlantic may be strong enough to steer it further East once it gets past my location.This would mean less wind and rain for you.I hope it works out to be that way for you.

Johnny,Todays forecast has shifted the track slightly east. Here,that should lessen the storm surge impact to some degree.The bad news is that the eye will remain over 80 degree water.Consequently,she's now predicted to remain a strong cat 2 as she passes me and remain a cat 2 all the way to Connecticut.Winds here are now predicted to be a bit stronger but some what less rain. Oh well,this will probably change often before her arrival.

We need the guys across the pond to run out and buy new scopes,that should pull her off the coast.hehe

As of now we only have a tropical storm warning, although its still 40mph wind and 5" of rain. The city is still under a hurricane warning, I saw Christie put your whole state under a hurricane warning. Hopefully it just keeps going east and goes away, but its funny I just read an article on how overdue we are for weather like this. Like you said, last time I was pretty young in 1985 when we got hit. Going out today to get more supplies, sadly we lose power with small storms on my block hence the generator. I think our British friends would help but its summer and the weather does not cooperate for them either:)

Does look like a big 'un doesn't it.. The one we had here back in '87 didn't make it up to Scotland.. and luckily enough that's where I was when it hit. But, I still had a house "down south" then.. so on my return a few days later I found I had an "instant" Obsy!!

I hope you guys stay safe.. good luck with this "historic" storm!!

Well the track has changed yet again,the latest puts her further inland.If this track holds, the eye should pass within 10 miles of me.The good news is, she'll be over land longer and should drop to a cat 1 just as she arrives. This is bad news for the immeadiate coast.They will then be in the dreaded NE sector.The mandatory evacuations are now more widespread and reach further inland.The emergency management director aired some good advice today for those who refuse to evacuate. "get a 3x5 card,write your name,social security number and next of kin on it. Put the card in your left shoe. That's shoe,no flip flops or sandles.Then, IF we find your body we will know who to contact." Short,direct and certainly to the point.

I appreciate the willingness to run out and buy scopes,alas, it would appear to have had no effect,yet. Keep trying! haha

Archived