Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hurricane Irene

jmurray01

NYC is stopping all mass transit tomorrow at noon. Governor Christie told people to get the hell off the coast, literally. Its crazy around here, even with the extreme blizzards we get Ive never seen the stores ravaged like they were today. I just think its amazing how sunny and beautiful it is today, and tomorrow will be the worst storm in over 50 years. Gotta love Mother Nature:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Provided the damages will be minimal here,most of next week looks great for getting the scopes out. Clear skies,low humidity. I suppose it takes a hurricane to clear the air out around here.

Johnny; not bad yet,just started getting heavy rain bands working through,wind is minimal at the moment.Still predicting 80 -100 mph gusts tonight between 2am and 8am. They keep flirting with changing the track between inshore and offshore. I'll know around 3am.If I see stars for a short time, it came inland. Good luck to you.

Imarcs,I can't imagine a worse situation then being in NO during Katrina's onslaught.Glad you made it through.

Currently winds are steady at aprox 25 mph with gusts to about 45mph from the southeast. Rain is more steady and heavy. I have an aneometer set up at about 6' above ground and it's readings are about half of what the elevated one reads.Being in a totally wooded area is providing some relief from the winds.I just hope they stay rooted through the night.

johnny, stay good,when she's done with here,she'll be heading up to you.

My wife and I were in Antigua something like twelve years ago when a hurricane passed close. The damage was deeply shocking. The end of the island we were at got off fairly lightly compared with other places, but even so the entire beach just disappeared, and the beach-front hotels pretty much just collapsed into the sea. It is not something easily forgotten...

James

So far everything is fairing well,Irene's eye is still 140 miles south of here.Winds havn't been to bad with gusts only reaching 55mph,however 3 tonadoes have touched down,1 about 60 miles from here and 2 within 20 miles.There are some 50,000 homes with out power locally.Fortunately we still have main power.Rain has been heavy,near 6" so far.The predicted 12" would appear to be accurate.There have been some "lulls" in the wind and rain lasting between a half hour to an hour.The immeadiate coast has really taken a beating already with extensive beach erosion and flooding.No rocky coast here,the barrier islands are simply large sand bars.Some trees have gone down but not to a great extent.I'm sure this will all change as Irene get's closer and conditions worsen.

Kev,New York City usually only feels some minor effects from hurricanes as they pass by to the east over the Atlantic.It's rare indeed for a hurricane to make a direct hit into NYC while maintaining hurricane status.only 3 times on record .I believe the last time this happened was in 1938 and lower Manhattan was under 13' of water.This storm now appears that it will lose hurricane status before the center reaches NYC.

This area faired very well through the storm.Winds peaked here this morning at about 60mph,Rain is now much lighter and intermittent.Rain total here so far is about 9" but widely varies locally and 1"-2" more expected by the end of today.Power has been out to about 100,000 homes but is now expected to be restored for most, late today.Roads are littered with debris and some fallen trees but passable except for ones that are prone to flooding.The 2 tornadoes which touched down last night did so outside residential areas so damages were minimal.

Johnny; this has been mostly a major rain event,expect above 8" total.Wind has been about what you would get from a strong Noreaster.Keep your basement pump going and you should fair well.Power outages have not been nearly as widespread as predicted.Be safe.

Just looked at Metcheck for later this week for Newcastle upon Tyne, looks like it's headed our way, looks to be building in intensity though ;):)

I hope they've got this wrong :rolleyes: Please stay safe if you find yourself in or near the path.

Steve

post-13953-133877652647_thumb.jpeg

Brantuk; yes it was downgraded to a cat one at land fall and remained that status until it was just south of New York City.Oddly, the pressure in the eye remained as low as a cat 3,so even overland it didn't lose it's intensity.Meteorologist have attributed her great size to the reason why her wind speeds could not increase in relation to the low pressure.Another good thing was her travel speed.She started out at 10-12mph then here she was moving at 14-16mph then when she hit New York state she was moving close to 25mph.It's a good thing she was fast moving as just about everywhere she dumped her rains are now suffering historic levels of flooding.It's great to live near the water most of the time but I'll take the high ground any day.

johnny;sorry to here about the basement,but glad that's the worst of it.There have been several incidents around here of basements collapsing in,even well after the rains had stopped.Be careful when you are down there.I heard some reports that the Gilboa dam in Scoharie may have let loose.I don't know if this would effect you and I havn't been able to confirm this either.I know they were inspecting the dam for damage after the 2.9 mag earthquake the Albany area got on saturday.

Paxo: I'd have to say somebody really screwed up on that forecast.There's no way you'll get 279mph winds! Wait a minute....HMMMM.... earthquake,east coast US- no way {wrong}, hurricane, into mid-atlantic states and NYC- no way {wrong}.

I now retract the above statement.

Archived