Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, Io, Ganymede, and the GRS

Olorin

Hi All,

Woke up early the night between 6th and 7th of August to try and capture Jupiter and got this one, when Ganymede is just after a transit and Io coming from behind Jupiter.

However I still have hard time to get a real sharp picture any ideas?

Used SPC900 3 minutes, 5 fps, SkyWatcher 8", Televue powermate x5, Orion IR cut filter.

Processing: Castrator for alignment, Registax 5.1 for stacking, GIMP for small touch of the unsharpen mask

Thanks

Dror

post-25865-13387764407_thumb.jpg

Lovely image. With the rotation speed of Jupiter 3 mins for an avi sounds a bit long.

Not so at all.....3 minutes is just fine!

Dror, this isn't too bad at all:icon_salut:.....in fact it's quite good and if, as I suspect, the seeing was only average then it would explain your difficulty in getting a really sharp image and resolution.

Also, if you're focusing manually it can be quite difficult and a real art to get razor focus - why many of us opt for electric focusers of various types.....but the other major factor in getting nice crisp images apart from seeing and focus is, I'm afraid, to have good collimation!

With my C11 I make it a practice to "razor" my collimation before every imaging session using a star at around the same elevation as the planet is.....different scopes keep their colimation better or not but for my money if you're pursuing hi-res images then you need to at least check the collimation before every imaging session!;)

Hi,

Thank you all for the comments.

Kokatha man you are right I took the image from the city and seeing was even less than average. I guess you are right (again) with your second comment collimation - haven't done that since I bought the scope (more than a year ago...:rolleyes:) I will try to implement this advise a.s.a.p.

As for the clear skies I will continue praying ;)

Thanks

Dror

Hi,

collimation - haven't done that since I bought the scope (more than a year ago...:)) I will try to implement this advise a.s.a.p.

As for the clear skies I will continue praying :evil6:

Thanks

Dror

Hi again Dror - some scopes hold collimation very well by all reports, but I reckon it's pushing it a bit far to leave it that long..!:eek:;):)

Apart from making sure your scope is working optimally, collimating before imaging gives you a really good appraisal of just how good the seeing really is - as I and others have said, this is a pretty good image but I'm sure with good seeing and a well-collimated scope you'll be producing some really fine images during this apparition....!:smiley::)

Hi again Dror - some scopes hold collimation very well by all reports, but I reckon it's pushing it a bit far to leave it that long..!:evil6::eek::)

Apart from making sure your scope is working optimally, collimating before imaging gives you a really good appraisal of just how good the seeing really is - as I and others have said, this is a pretty good image but I'm sure with good seeing and a well-collimated scope you'll be producing some really fine images during this apparition....!:smiley::)

Yep I collimate everytime i image, often tweak the secondary with a laser, and primary with a glow in the dark colli cap. both are often out enough to need collimating everytime one is doing a run. Good advice from Darryl here, that everyone should follow to get the most from there equipment.

Archived