Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st telescope bought yesterday!

Well my lifelong ambition to own a telescope finally came true yesterday.

After consideration I decided to go to the used market to purchase it. Being my first telescope I thought I would buy second hand and then see where it takes me.

I got a Celestron C8 with a Vixen GP mount and wooden tripod (Ibelieve this is how they came many years ago) with a 2" crayford, 25mm, 17mm (plossl) and 10mm eye pieces, a 2" crayford and a T adaptor.

The chap I bought it from Paul was a fantastic guy who spent almost 2 hours going through everything and showed me his other telescope. He was extremely knowledgable and very polite.

I can't wait to get really stuck in. Just hope the clouds will thin out over the coming days and weeks. I'm just going to start observing for now

Any thoughts and advice will be welcome ;)

Thank you all for the comments and advice, I can't wait to start but looks like clouds again tonight ;)

I did consider the whole computerized setup especially with me working in IT but thought against it as it'll be more fun the manual way.

The dew shield is definitely something i'll sort get.

One question, the wooden tripod certainly does give it the classic look but with the ota being black should I paint the wood black or leave it as is?

Many congratulations on the ownership of your new scope. I think you are going to enjoy this! Maybe a telrad could be useful.. and definately the dew shield. I forgot to put mine on tonight and had to get the hairdryer out! Through an 8inch M13 looks fantastic!

Good show! I started manual and upgraded when the imaging bug took hold...no substitute for learning the sky and mastering the star-hop. Where this will take you is limited only by your imagination....OK, that and your pocketbook. If you are like me, you just started a love affair that will last a lifetime...cheers!

Archived