Portable Power Pack

Hi

There are a few out there, I like the Sky Watcher they come in two sizes 7Hm

that should last about 6 to 7 hours around the £50,00 mark or the 17hm that should do 16 to17 hours around £ 100.00 even has a radio bilt in I also found it to be safe

when I had it delivered I had it up side down for months and did not leakage

there are others out there you can buy but I do fill safe with it in my house

Doug

Essex Uk

I use a 17Ah combined light, jump starter and air compressor which I picked up from Halfords. It's great for astronomy and handy for use with the car as well. I keep it on permanent trickle charge in my shed using a solar charger from Maplins http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223251

1st charge was done on the mains for 24 hours and has been kept topped up by my solar panel ever since (about 2 years).

Much cheaper than an astro branded unit. Mine has 2 cigarrette style sockets which is handy for plugging in the mount and a dew heater.

Regards,

Stargazer51N.

I've got the skywatcher & the 'jump-starter' I prefer the jump-starter....& with the money you save you can always buy a torch & radio if you need em...too many things to go wrong on the SW... bit like some mobiles..play games - take pics - go on the net - etc...but will it get a good signal to use as a 'phone ? Go with Bizi & stargazer...they know what they're doing...

Another vote for the Maplin 3 in 1 17 mh powerpack. I use one to Power my Nexstar 127 SLT and it only cost me £30 from my local branch of Maplin. All that I had to do was buy the correct power lead from FLO and total cost of £43. Compare that to £100ish for the branded Celestron one. It is a no brainer in my opinion. The Maplin one does exactly the same job, but for a fraction of the cost.

Yes, I think this one has one, some have two. You can buy 3:1 or 4:1 splitters so you can run 3 or 4 plugs off the one socket.

Does using splitters make any difference to using one with 2 separate sockets in terms of power drain or any fuses or internal whatever inside?

Thanks

Simon

The Maplin powerpacks do require some regular maintenance however. You do need to keep them charged up whether you have used it or not and never, never let the charge fall into the red zone on the meter. If you follow these simple precautions they are supposed to hold their charge pretty good. Just to recap. These types of batteries should NOT be fully discharged otherwise their life expectancies are vastly reduced.

As Malc above says, keep on doing top up charges and don't ever drain them flat.

If the worst happens and you kill your battery, open up the casing and simply chuck a new one in. Probably cheaper than buying another whole unit.

Archived