NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 21/03/07

MikeD

Hi all.

Got some clear skies over the last two days :shock:, though Tuesday was a bit windy and the results were not great.

I had better luck last night.

M51:

image.jpg

Taken through my 10" F4.8 newt with a HX916, guided with 80Ed and SC1 modded toucam.

1hr 55 mins in 5 min subs.

Just need some more clear skies to get the colour.

All the best.

Mike.

I hunted about for an hour last night trying to find that! Could not even see a fuzzy blob :)

Are you using your setting circles?

If not try pionting the scope at Alkaid ( the star at the end of the handle of Ursa Major) then set the setting circles to: DEC +49.19'. and the RA +13 : 47 (h:m).

lock up the setting circles and unlock the RA clutch and move it until the setting circle reads 13 : 30 (h:m) and lock it up again.

Next unlock the DEC clutch and and move it until the setting circle reads +47 : 12 (deg:m)

If you don't have M51 in the field of view Pick a star in the centre of the FOV and move it around the FOV while looking for The Two fuzzy blob's that is M51.

Hope this helps and I am not telling you how to suck eggs.

Mike

Or I can usually find it by looking through the finder scope (with both eyes open and putting the finder cross hairs (which by keeping both eyes open will by supper imposed on you naked eye view of the sky)in the position shown in the attached image By imagining the box as shown should get you pretty close.

image.jpg

Mike

Archived