Hello everyone!

skyxie

My name is sky . I'm a student .

I'm a relative newbie to this board so here go's.

Some very interesting introductions there. Always nice to know what people do outside of astronomy.

I've been interested in astronomy since I was a little girl ! I remember sneaking outside on clear nights just to gaze up at the stars, until my parents caught me to go to bed . Night sky is mysterious, so I can not give up exploration. I want to get more secrets here.

A few months ago saw the lunar eclipse, the moon turned red. Has anyone seen the lunar eclipse? Why does the moon appear red? Is that mean a change in the event of bad?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sky and welcome to SGL :BangHead:

The Moon turns red when it's on the opposite side of the Earth to the Sun. The light from the Sun is scattered (or refracted) throught the Earth's atmosphere and the Moon passes through the red part of the spectrum.

This is just one of several things that can cause it. Some historic battle leaders were superstitious and thought a red moon signified the blood of their enemies, and a sign that conditions were favourable for them to attack and win a battle. Of course it's nonesense - and it doesn't mean anything bad at all lol.

Have a read of this page for a good explanation of how it happens:

Red Moon

Also have a look at the imaging section for pictures that our members have taken of a red moon. Enjoy the forum ;)

Archived