NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Low Power Conundrum?

Having recently upgraded a few of my 1.25'' ep's i am now looking to buy a 2'' ep for some low power wide field observing. My first preference would be the legendary 31mm Nagler but unfortunately its way outside my budget at the minute. I had more or less decided on a 35mm Panoptic but having some reservations over the exit pupil and again the cost. So, my question is this, out of these three, which would be the best option.

Baader Aspheric 31mm

Skywatcher Aero 30mm

Skywatcher Panaview 32mm

I am hoping to buy a 12'' Dob by the end of the year and it will be an f5 so fairly fast. I realise the Panoptic will have the most corrected view but would any of the above run it close?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go for the 35mm TV Panaoptic, if you can find one second hand within your budget.

If not, then of the three options I'd choose the SW Aero - either the 30mm or 35mm, depending on your needs.

As an aside, personally I wouldn't get too hooked up on, or worry about, "wasted" light from a larger exit pupil.

HTH :BangHead:

Personally I would go for the 35mm Panoptic if your funds will stretch to it.

I have the Baader Hyperion Apheric 36mm and find it's not a great performer in my 80mm refractor but however works better in Newtionians. If your looking for an eyepiece suitable for your scopes you might want to try before you buy this EP.

The edge of the field is what can only be described as a mess on my scope....:BangHead:

Hi

In a word no. None of those would be even close to a Panoptic.

In a fast Newt I would go for a Panoptic possibly the 27mm.

If price is a problem I would just wait till I could afford it.

I would steer well clear of budget eyepieces in a fast newt, they just don't work IMO.

I would not buy any of the other three for this reason.

Regards Steve

I jave just bought a new Meade 5000 28mm SWA for a very good price,it has excellent reviews a lot saying it comes very close to Panoptic performance at a lot lower price,worth a look.

Oh yeah totally forgot about them.

These are a great eyepiece if you can get hold of them.

well worth a look.:BangHead:

Regards Steve

Thanks guys for the input. I will heed the advise and gather up the copper's for the Panoptic. Hopefully something will turn up on the used market ;)

the tricky thing here is that you have the excellent 24mm Panoptic. A 35mm Panoptic would be too much exit pupil for me in an f5 scope and I sold mine to fund a 26mm Nagler, which was even more appropriate as I now have a 16" f4.

I am not sure you'd gain much over the 24mm Panoptic with a 27mm Panoptic either.

Maybe you should sell the 24mm and with those funds and the other funds you'd need for the 35mm Panoptic, buy a 26mm Nagler like I did. I have never regretted it - what a stunning eyepiece. They don't come up used very often but worth waiting for and you have the very able 24mm Panoptic in the meantime. Just more thoughts to confuse you even further! :BangHead:

My low power ep in my 10" F4.7 Dob is a Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm I find it to be an excellent eyepiece. All my other ep's are Pentax, Televue Ethos' and Naglers the Nirvana stands shoulder to shoulder with them. Great price too £245 from FLO.

Tough choice Damo, had the same one when choosing a low power widefield myself.

Took advantage of the TV discount and went for the 35mm Panoptic, like yourself and most I suppose, could not afford a 31mm Nagler ;)

shame your not closer as I would let you borrow the Pan to try it out.

if only it was possible to try before you buy, have no idea what kit I'd own if it were :BangHead:

The 28mm Nirvana (WO Uwan) is a very nice ep by all accounts. I've read John's (Jahmanson) report where he compared it with the Pentax XW 30mm and the 31 Nagler and rated it right up there with the big boys. I think it could be a contender and half the price of the 31mm Nagler. In fact the more i read about it i think it could be the one for me. The 26mm Nagler is one i hadn't considered as i thought it a little close to my 24mm Panoptic, although i realise it would still show me a lot more sky. Thanks again guys.

The reason I didn't recommend the 26mm T5 Nagler is it's only about £20 cheaper than the 31mm T5 Nagler and I figured that was out of your budget.

If you can afford either of these, they are the kiddies to go for.

Regards Steve

The Nirvana 28mm is a nice ep but its BIG here's a link to a photo of my ep's the Nirvana is on the left it weighs nearly a kilo

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/104102-my-eps-barlow.html

WOW ;), thats some quality glass you have there Chris. The Nirvana is a monster! Having seen that i'm not so sure anymore :BangHead:

The reason I didn't recommend the 26mm T5 Nagler is it's only about £20 cheaper than the 31mm T5 Nagler and I figured that was out of your budget.

If you can afford either of these, they are the kiddies to go for.

Regards Steve

You are correct Steve, it would be outside my budget at that price and to be honest i had no idea the 2'' Nagler's cost so much more than their 1.25'' cousins. The 28mm Nirvana/Uwan seems to be a good cost/ performance compromise although i'm going to try and get a look through one before committing to anything. I want to get this one right as it will be my last ep for the forseeable future. After this its beans on toast for a few months while i save for the 12'' upgrade :BangHead:

I think I'd go for the Celestron Ultima LX 32mm. It's great quality and much cheaper than the Panoptic/Nagler and not even that heavy at 500 g.

I bought the 32mm and the 22mm used a while ago at a really great price. I use them in my Nexstar 6SE but I'm sure it will be even more fitting in a large newtonian.

Cheers,

Cosmin

Hi

In a word no. None of those would be even close to a Panoptic.

In a fast Newt I would go for a Panoptic possibly the 27mm.

If price is a problem I would just wait till I could afford it.

I would steer well clear of budget eyepieces in a fast newt, they just don't work IMO.

I would not buy any of the other three for this reason.

Regards Steve

i would agree with this i spent loads a cash on second hand ones and they are no good at all the up side was they work mega in the 90mm frac so it was not to bad

The 35 Pan is great in scopes in which it gives a reasonable exit pupil. Like several folks above, I found that I needed something for a fast Newt and replaced the 35 Pan with a 26 Nagler... and it is superb. I found the 31 Nagler a bit too tricky with blackouts and kidney bean effects.

Olly

The exit pupil is the only reservation i have with the 35mm Pan. I would get away with it with my current setup (i think) but if i upgrade to a 12" the exit pupil would be around 7mm. I'm not sure but thinking that may be too big? I know its not an exact science but what would be the largest exit pupil recommended? I am 40 years old and wear glasses although not while observing.

Archived