Silly Question. Use telescope in the rain?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know what your thinking, because i find that when theres a possibilty of rain..any gaps beetwen the could seem to offer very clear seeing?

I wouldent reccomend it though as you really dont want water splashing on your primary mirror!

At best all you'll get is water smears all over the corrector - at worst you'll short your electronics and need a new handset or mount.

One salient thing about this hobby is that "astronomers never get wet" - if it's cloudy you can't see anything anyway :)

I've been rained on while observing... I was observing Jupiter (I think) in the early hours low in the East and the clouds snuck up on me from the west.

First thing I knew about it was getting wet!

Rain is no worse then dew in most instances, but they can be all sorts of stuff in rain - so it's still not recommended :)

Ant

Left a gap of about 12" at the end of my RoRo observatory - To "allow for cooling". Lesson learned!

Actually, it's amazing how much water a short, sharp shower deposits into an enclosed space... ;)

Truth be told, it helps if you don't fall asleep in front of the evening's Television? :)

Left a gap of about 12" at the end of my RoRo observatory - To "allow for cooling". Lesson learned!

Actually, it's amazing how much water a short, sharp shower deposits into an enclosed space... ;)

Truth be told, it helps if you don't fall asleep in front of the evening's Television? :)

Oh yes, i've done that. Set the kit up (Mr. Optimism was hoping that the clouds would clear). Fall asleep in front of the TV. Woke to the sound of a torrential downpour. Cue one very panicky Zakalwe running out to disconnect a million wires and hump a fully loaded EQ6 back into the house in one fell swoop:eek:

I could always use my Nikon Monarchs, not that I want to test how water proof/resistant they are mind!

I'd advise having anything that isn't designed for wet weather out in wet weather ... why risk ruining hundreds of pounds of investment?

Rain is no worse then dew in most instances, but they can be all sorts of stuff in rain - so it's still not recommended :)

Ant

Yes, water on its own is not bad (only for the optics) but most rain we get in the UK is laden with all sorts of chemicals washed out of the air......your optics wouldent last long with prolonged use in rain.

apart from getting wet motors and all and ya self and god knows what stuff is in the rain these days grit sand dust ect i would not like that on my mirrors ,but some times it may be the case were it may rain once have set up i usally just scamper back in the house with everything

I invested in a Green Witch scope cloak mainly for overnight protection and dust but also for that odd time when sudden precipitation instils hysteric, manic, panic.

Electrics, water and electrocution are likely bedfellows.

Rain? What's this 'rain' stuff? I know I don't always catch all the British idiom on this site, but give a Yank a break lads!

From what other posters have said, it is something that falls on your scope from out of the sky like a meteor shower or something (as if!) and then it makes your equipment WET!!??? :D

It sounds rather like you are setting your equipment up next to a pop-up lawn sprinkler - a little less Guinness before observing should cure THAT problem! :p

Dan

Archived