Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First photo's of my Skywatcher 10" on EQ6 Goto

jarbi

Hi Everyone,

After a good half year my equipment is slowly getting round. Having some beautiful nights last weekend I have spent some happy time in our back garden, learning to get on with EQ6 ( polar alignment, drift alignment, hand controller operations etc. ).

On the first photo I am just pointing to Saturn, it was the first really nice view of it since I have this reflector. I know from experience that around 10 in the evening everything starts to get wet, so the dewshield and the Kendrick primary heater is really necessary.

The second photo show my first SAC10 photosession last weekend using EQ6, not very succesful so far. The very first to do is to calibrate the pointing accuracy of my Goto, this moment it is not so perfect yet. I could make some unguided photo's of M42 and M81, but it is not yet something to show off. Hopefully I will get my guide rings to piggy-back my Bresser Messier 90 and then I can do guiding as well.

What I learn that it is very useful to have white and LONG cables for connecting all together, I'm not stumbling over the cables so often this way.

Besides, to get out and back in the whole equipment is quite an exercise. Yesterday I was just surprised how light is 12l of milk when I lifted it up in the garage :).

As I look outside this evening is going to be a nice one too, clear skies for all of you !

cheers,

Janos

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet set up Janos.....

That lot must give you some great views....

Thanks Jamie,

What I forgot to mention is that I have kept the big black gliders for the Dobsodian mount. This way I can always choose which mount to use. It took some time to figure out how to position the EQ6 tube rings and dovetail to fit on the dobsodian basis without colliding.

Hello,

This is my first post. I am thinking of a Dobsonian set-up to start with and later upgrading to a sturdy equatorial mount, then CCDs. How much OTA weight would this EQ6 take? 20 kg?

Themos,

I think my OTA is now around 11 kg, and the mount can probably go until 20 kg, but not much further. The point is that it has to carry the proper amount of counterweights also, which doubles the payload on the gears.

So, a 12" 20kg-OTA Dobsonian like this one

http://www.teleskop-service.com/GSO/dobsonians/GSO-Dobsonians.html#300e

would need a multi-grand Losmandy mount?

Themos,

I am afraid the answer is yes... Or at least it is very close to the highest charge limit of EQ6. Maybe ask this question in the Equipment discussion subforum, there are many experienced members who will know the exact answer !

Yep, that's a really nice set up mate 8)

Hope you had fun last night with it. :)

Thanks Jaffa007, you can bet I had :) . I have done a serious cone error calibration also, now the Goto is much more precise than before 8). As a test I could lookup 8 Messier objects in less than 5 minutes. This evening I will piggyback the Bresser 90, and I will upload a photo with that also.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, my Bresser 90 is also mounted. Well, it is now balanced with 20 kg counterweights, but I love this setup :). Yesterday I have mounted an AutoFocus of Skywatcher ( see also on photo ), now I can focus much easier for imaging.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

that looks great Janos

and those Skywatcher electric focusers are such a good buy, just added one to my Vixen :)

Russ

Thanks Russ,

Did you read by chance something about controlling this focuser from a Pc ?

Archived