Greetings from Seattle

Backscatter

From a quick perusal, this seems to be a great forum, with friendly and knowledge people, that are willing to share their insights and experiences.

Briefly about myself, I live in the NW part of America and recently (3 years ago, I mean were dealing with astrophysics:icon_scratch:) got into amateur astronomy after receiving a Christmas gift of an ETX 80 and eyepiece set from co-workers. I enjoyed using it so much, and not paying attention to much else during my early viewing sessions, I contracted pneumonia within a month. I tended to realize too late that my gloves and cap were no longer on, and my jacket was open to my waist. Needless to say, I enjoy summer more than winter sessions at the moment…..

I of course did some research and found a variety of opinions about whether to learn to use an EQ mount as opposed to a go-to scope first, so I picked up a used 4500 Newtonian on a EQ mount and quickly confused myself in both systems equally:confused4:. But I persevered and now enjoy both systems for different reasons.

I soon found myself want/needing more/better equipment (I still owe my co-workers for that one). As is the case in most hobbies, I remembered the acronym for boat (break out another thousand), but I still enjoy my viewing sessions with what I have now (I know, an ETX 80 is a good finder/spotter scope!!).

I hope to be able to contribute and share what knowledge (oh, so little) I have, as I learn from this site and its members.

Peace

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi from me. Any chance of some pics of mt. st. helens? My little brother used to live there but didn't oblige my interest in vocanoes, and he's a scientist to boot, albeit in chemistry. now he's back over here living in the co2 factory called london.

Thanks to all the responses.

Adamski, here are some shots of St. Helens, prior to and after the May 18th "disturbance" . Hope they work for you.

old glyn, if you ever can, come between July 5th (never fails, always nice after the 4th?!) and mid to late September. You can't miss out on nice weather and clear skies. Any other time is hit or miss.

Sorry for not including both your quotes in reply, still figuring out posting methodology......;)

Thanks again to all

post-27350-133877621681_thumb.jpg

post-27350-133877621686_thumb.jpg

post-27350-133877621692_thumb.jpg

post-27350-133877621699_thumb.jpg

Hello from the East Coast. Amazing St. Helens shots

Thanks Johnny.

I was going to post a few more, but figured that was a good representative sampling for Adamski.;) My pleasure too.

As a transplanted East coast native (CT), I remember some very good viewing spots in New England and in your state, especially upstate toward the Finger lakes region or west and NW of the big apple. Hope the LP isn’t too bad in your area.

Peace

Archived