Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Northern Lights

We have booked to go 400 miles north of the Artic circle next February for a weeks holiday hoping to see the Northern Lights. We're staying on the Finland/Swedish border if I remember right. I was just wondering if any one else has done this sort of trip and if they did did they take their scope with them? Obviously I know a scope would be no good what so ever for observing the 'lights' :) but the skies would be a lot darker and clearer up there wouldn't they, ideal for observing? :)B)

scottydog, You're very lucky, :) that sounds wonderful! I watched an episode of S@N where they observed the Northern Lights, it looked great! I would love to see the aurora borealis from a perfect location such as Finland, Sweden or Norway. Apparently their activity has increased too!

Hi Scotty,

That sounds like a great trip.

When you are up there take plenty of pics. and post them on the forum so that we can all enjoy your trip.

The northern lights are one of the things I would love to see.

Should be great. I went to Northern Finland (Saariselka) in December 2008 - average temperature -28c :)

For us it was a lapland trip to see Santa. Was disappointed not to see the lights, but February/March are the best months. Just hope for clear skies (where have I heard that before) and wrap up warm !

Should be great. I went to Northern Finland (Saariselka) in December 2008 - average temperature -28c :)

For us it was a lapland trip to see Santa. Was disappointed not to see the lights, but February/March are the best months. Just hope for clear skies (where have I heard that before) and wrap up warm !

The temperture :) will be quite a shock for us as we normally go to the Canary islands at that time of year!!! When we arrive we are issued with 'thermal suits' which is a little disconcerting but then again it is a fair way up B)

We'll need luck with clear skies and apparently the Sun is very active this year and next so fingers crossed :eek:

Hi Scotty,

That sounds like a great trip.

When you are up there take plenty of pics. and post them on the forum so that we can all enjoy your trip.

The northern lights are one of the things I would love to see.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the kind words :) I will indeed take plenty of pics and post them on the forum if all goes well B)

I can't see batteries etc. lasting too long in such cold tempertures, :) still a small price to pay..........

scottydog, You're very lucky, :eek: that sounds wonderful! I watched an episode of S@N where they observed the Northern Lights, it looked great! I would love to see the aurora borealis from a perfect location such as Finland, Sweden or Norway. Apparently their activity has increased too!

Hi Telrad,

I watched the Joanna Lumley programme that aired, I think, last year where she went to see the aurora borealis, it had been a lifelong dream of hers. Then about a month ago the Channel 4 show 'Vacation, Vacation, Vacation' went to Iceland and the presenters Phil & Kirsty got to see the aurora borealis . Well my wife always watches it and she told me to watch it as she'd seen where she wanted to go next for a holiday....so I jumped at the chance when I saw where it was! B):mad:

All we need now is clear skies next Feb and NO Volcanic ASH!!!! :) :)

I have organised a trip for 12 of my Astro group to go to Iceland next February, so will be watching at the same time with fingers crossed.

Carole

Hi Carole,

Our fingers will be crossed for us/you too :)

• 2 months later...

Hi All

The northern lights are great i live in northern Norway (Harstad) although i see them quite a lot I have to drive for 20 min to get really dark skies. the further North you are the less lights there will be and the effect along with the snow and crystal clear nights is amazing. If you can bring a scope I would recommend it, although you will only feel the real benefit if you are ably to get to a nice dark location (contact the place you are staying in and they will be very helpful). The cold can be quite a shock so bring plenty of warm clothing. expect double negative figures on clear nights.

Hi,

I took a 4 night cruise from Bergen with a hotel for the 5th night in Tromso back in Feb. We did not see the northern lights from the cruise ship and it was cloudy everynight onboard. In tromso we took a minibus trip out as a last chance option and about 90mins out of Tromso at the second place we stopped we had a faint display through thin cloud. I actually had better pics from my Canon point and shoot with the max 15sec exposure on 1600iso than my partner could get with a Canon 5d :). Liz did have problems with the battery and the camera so ran a bit short of time. Think it was around -20 with a strong wind adding considerable wind chill.

My tips are silk glove liners so you have some protection when you have to take your gloves off and if taking a metal tripod, cover the legs with pipe lagging so they are not so cold to the touch.

G.

We have booked to go 400 miles north of the Artic circle next February for a weeks holiday hoping to see the Northern Lights. We're staying on the Finland/Swedish border if I remember right. I was just wondering if any one else has done this sort of trip and if they did did they take their scope with them? Obviously I know a scope would be no good what so ever for observing the 'lights' :D but the skies would be a lot darker and clearer up there wouldn't they, ideal for observing? :);)

I have never ever seen the Northern Lights or St. Elmo's fire. Either or both would be a wonderful treat. Have yourself a great time.

Went to Tromso in Feb 2008 with my parents, my wifes parents and my brother his fiancee.

Hired a couple of cars and on the evening drove out into the wilds to try to find the lights.

First night, we thing we saw a green glow way off in the distance, but i don't think we travelled far enough north really to get the best view.

Snow mobiling trip in the day-:)

Second night, again drove out but went further north, and did see the lights in between the clouds. Flipping freezing in the wind!

We visited the tourist info office and found out that they arrange trips on the Hurtigruten ships from the stop before Tromso (you get a bus from Tromso to the ferry port, then on the ferry back to Tromso). This was out best view of the lights, full on display. Brilliant. Only drawback was as the ship was swaying slightly so I couldn't get any pics and the wind was ferocious, almost blowing my kit overboard!

Think we were fairly lucky with the weather though, the following day we awoke to a foot of snow with more forecast.

Really good trip, would definitely go again....

I have never ever seen the Northern Lights or St. Elmo's fire. Either or both would be a wonderful treat. Have yourself a great time.

Please excuse or ignore my ignorance but what is 'St. Elmo's Fire'? :D & don't anybody say 'a movie'!!!! :)

Went to Tromso in Feb 2008 with my parents, my wifes parents and my brother his fiancee.

Hired a couple of cars and on the evening drove out into the wilds to try to find the lights.

First night, we thing we saw a green glow way off in the distance, but i don't think we travelled far enough north really to get the best view.

Snow mobiling trip in the day-:)

Second night, again drove out but went further north, and did see the lights in between the clouds. Flipping freezing in the wind!

We visited the tourist info office and found out that they arrange trips on the Hurtigruten ships from the stop before Tromso (you get a bus from Tromso to the ferry port, then on the ferry back to Tromso). This was out best view of the lights, full on display. Brilliant. Only drawback was as the ship was swaying slightly so I couldn't get any pics and the wind was ferocious, almost blowing my kit overboard!

Think we were fairly lucky with the weather though, the following day we awoke to a foot of snow with more forecast.

Really good trip, would definitely go again....

Sounds great! We have one evening where we go looking for the lights on snow mobile's and another night we 'hike' through the wilderness to try and see them....

Yes, the temperture's are a little concerning for us so we have started buying these 'base layer', 'mid layer' clothing hopefully this will help we also get a thermal suit loaned to us for the week :D

I have driven to NordKapp in mid winter and the views of the sky are absolutely stunning.

So good in Fact I will be going back with a big Dob at some point.

You should have no probs seeing the Northern lights from the border you mention I saw it from further south the first time.

St Elmo's fire plays around the masts of ship's and probably other things in certain atmospheric conditions.

Never seen it and certainly not on the mast of my single handed racing dinghy. Probably wasn't going fast enough.:)

St Elmo's Fire

St. Elmo's fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was seen by ships during the Carrington Event in 1859 a huge solar storm where aurora were seen down as far as the caribbean and also the event which gave Richard Carrington the clue as to how the Sun works and the effects it has on Earth. (Though it took around 50 - 60 years for the sceptics to believe his discovery).

Carole

Don't give up on the UK for seeing the aurora. I've seen 6 major displays i.e. overhead coronal streamers, vivid colours and bright enough to read a newspaper, including one event south of Manchester and two from the Astronomy Centre. Not common though as this represents 55 years of observations!. Ironically, I've never seen a predicted event, all of these were pure chance, however best to keep an eye open when there are predictions and from now on as the Sun is becoming more active.

St Elmo's fire plays around the masts of ship's and probably other things in certain atmospheric conditions.

Never seen it and certainly not on the mast of my single handed racing dinghy. Probably wasn't going fast enough.:D

Thanks for the info :)

St Elmo's Fire

St. Elmo's fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was seen by ships during the Carrington Event in 1859 a huge solar storm where aurora were seen down as far as the caribbean and also the event which gave Richard Carrington the clue as to how the Sun works and the effects it has on Earth. (Though it took around 50 - 60 years for the sceptics to believe his discovery).

Carole

Hi Carole,

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look later :)

Welcome to Finland Scotty! Weather in Lappland at February can be anything between 0 to -40C, -25 to-30 is quite normal if sky is clear.

Use enough layers of clothes, warm boots, fur hat if you can find and warm skigloves help you to manage outside conditions. For camera, take spare battery and keep it in warm, when you are in cold, inside pocket near your bodyheat is good place.

Our Finnish army seargant said always that if you feel cold, cover your head. Big part of bodyheat is on your head, so covering it helps rest of body. Anyway, Lappland is not Siberia, so nothing to worry about:D

I travel world wide on ships, many times visiting the northern Arctic. Furthest Hammerfest, 71*N.

When showing the Lights are indeed amazing. Last seen in October 31 2009. Entering the Fjord for Sorriesa, Norway.

Seen some awesome views over the years just off Aberdeen aswell. NO real need to travel to the northern latitudes.

Attached is a shot taken from the bridge of the ship.

Saw St Elmo's Fire once, but never the green flash in 100's of attempts.

post-14241-133877658587_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Finland Scotty! Weather in Lappland at February can be anything between 0 to -40C, -25 to-30 is quite normal if sky is clear.

Use enough layers of clothes, warm boots, fur hat if you can find and warm skigloves help you to manage outside conditions. For camera, take spare battery and keep it in warm, when you are in cold, inside pocket near your bodyheat is good place.

Our Finnish army seargant said always that if you feel cold, cover your head. Big part of bodyheat is on your head, so covering it helps rest of body. Anyway, Lappland is not Siberia, so nothing to worry about:D

Hi Ransu,

Thank you for the helpful info :) also we are hoping the sky is very clear :)

Archived