Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Street lights

Depraved

I had a pleasent suprise the other day. I noticed my City (Norwich) council are in the process of replacing old light poluting street lights with new lights where the bulb is deep inside the housing so all the light only projects downwards.

Over time (if this is indeed a long term project) it should make a big difference in my area. Heres hoping....

Mel

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edinburgh City Council replaced all the lamposts in the high street I live on (yes the lamp posts, not just the lamps). The old lamp post was hard against the building and extended about 10 feet above the roofline so at least there was no direct light against my windows. The new post has been installed on the outside of the pavement next to the road and although it is the same height as the old one it now shines directly into my house - so even though they are supposed more darksky-friendly I am way way worse off - all I see when I look out at the sky is glare. :)

You can see what type the lights are by eye. The ones that are easy to filter produce orange light. Those that are hard to filter produce white or even bluish light. It's easy to understand why: the yellow ones produce light in a narrow region of the spectrum and so can be blocked out. The white ones emit at all visible wavelengths and so cannot be selectively filtered.

Mel, that's really good news. :)

That will almost certainly cut out an awful lot of LP.

I wish the local council would do the same thing around here (South East). Then it's only the floodlights; resident's lights around their gardens and homes; lights from local businesses and commercial properties and any other excessive or obtrusive artificial light to contend with...! :)

i have the misfortune to have a s/lamp 15 yards from my little garden, its a short one and a total pain in the neck! i so with i could pop the little hatch of and turn it of for a session once in a while, i would love to see it gone but it does serve a good purpose to non astronomers

i have the misfortune to have a s/lamp 15 yards from my little garden, its a short one and a total pain in the neck! i so with i could pop the little hatch of and turn it of for a session once in a while, i would love to see it gone but it does serve a good purpose to non astronomers

It must feel the cold on those long winter nights - why not make it a hat out of an extra thick bin liner? :)

Guys,

There's a lamp post 6 feet from my garden and one 30 feet to the left of it. The council painted half as I complained it shone into the kids's bedroom. Wind has now rattled the painted portion 180* round and now I get all the glare in my garden.

I made a hood for it, tarp and bike wheel rim. Lifted on and off when needed. Works 100%.

My new scope arrived two days ago, went to use the hood and its deteriated so need to make a new one. Cann't ask them to paint out the whole of the light ................

Eddie H

Apparently, I'm told, that the round box thingy on the top of a streetlight is a photocell that detects light. If you point a fairly strong (how strong I don't know) green laser at this it registers as being light so turns off.

It's been mentioned here and I've seen it on youtube but I don't know which laser to use and if it works on all streetlights.

Please bear in mind tampering with a street light could be considered criminal damage. I don't want to see a SGL member grabbed by the long arm.

If in doubt, get the local chav to do it for you... :)

Please bear in mind tampering with a street light could be considered criminal damage. I don't want to see a SGL member grabbed by the long arm.

If in doubt, get the local chav to do it for you... :)

A laser is a light so you would be doing no more to it than it is doing to you.

Back when streetlamps had exposed bulbs, there was a guy who had a rooftop observatory in Southampton, he regularly painted the top 2/3rds of the surrounding streetlamp bulbs black, if I remember rightly this same advice was given by Sir Partick Moore on an audiobook I used to listen to. I though there was some kind of 'dark skies' project in the UK where all newly installed streetlamps had to conform to some LP regs ?

Archived