Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing area with light shields

cgarry

It is not quite an obsy, but my observing area now works really well.

The problem I had was an overlooking street light and all the overlooking houses with various lights coming on and off all night. The solution has solved the local light pollution problem, plus it gives me privacy while I am out observing. Now if I can only get rid of the sky glow from Cambridge...

post-21918-133877617105_thumb.jpg

The decking area with the corner posts in place.

post-21918-133877617114_thumb.jpg

With the sides pegged in place.

post-21918-13387761712_thumb.jpg

The view from inside.

Cheers,

Chris

That's an excellent solution. Is this temporary or are you eventually going to build a obsy with RO roof? :)

I am not planning to build an obsy this year, so this solution will have to carry on for a while. If I do build an obsy it will be positioned in a spot where a greenhouse is currently positioned, not where the decking is which is too close to the house to build a structure. I cannot face the job of moving the greenhouse and building an obsy right now, far too much effort!

Cheers,

Chris

OK I understand.

I like your pier too, very nice! :)

One day I hope to build my own obsy with RO roof too. I like your solution to LP, I know it works, as I use a similar method to block out my neighbour's lights to the rear of the garden. I use black- out blinds too :icon_eek: having got the idea from Jamie.

Thanks for the comments guys, this system really works for me blocking out light from the surrounding buildings and street lights but leaving the sky clear. It is really nice not to need to worry about lights coming on while I am observing and ruining my night vision. The posts can be removed to leave the area looking a bit tidier when not in use.

A few details:

The posts are held in place by 4 of these hammered into the ground:

Metpost Post Support Red 50 x 50 x 450

The actual posts are 50mm x 50mm x 2.4m and just slot into the post supports.

The washing line is attached between the posts with these:

Screw Hook Large Zinc Plated

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the comments guys, this system really works for me blocking out light from the surrounding buildings and street lights but leaving the sky clear. It is really nice not to need to worry about lights coming on while I am observing and ruining my night vision. The posts can be removed to leave the area looking a bit tidier when not in use.

A few details:

The posts are held in place by 4 of these hammered into the ground:

Metpost Post Support Red 50 x 50 x 450

The actual posts are 50mm x 50mm x 2.4m and just slot into the post supports.

The washing line is attached between the posts with these:

Screw Hook Large Zinc Plated

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for posting the particulars for this Chris, it's always good to gather more ideas and solutions from members, especially if they are using similar techniques! I haven't used a washing line, but will 'upgrade' mine now since reading this! Thanks again Chris! :)

I use a washing line that and can be wound back into its holder. I have a dark ground sheet which have the eyelets and I attach clips which allows the groundsheet to be moved along the line. I don't need to use clothes pegs. If necessary I can keep the washing line is place and just roll back the groudsheet into a bundle (then tied with straps) and hide it behind a garden shed.

Keeps the wife happy.

Mark

• 1 month later...
cool

cheers Chris.

I may have a look there or also consider the black weed material at garden centres etc that others have used.

I have some of the black weed material left over from putting the decking down and I think it would do the job perfectly. It blocks light well and should not rot.

• 1 year later...

Archived