Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Teleskop Service - TS 80/480 - First impression...not impressed!

I'll be definitely putting one of my RDFs on it as when it's a guide scope it's good to be able too use it that way.

It's going to sit on top of my 120 like the cheapo ST80 did. But the added bonus (and main reason for the upgrade) is I'll be able to image through it and use the 120 to guide.

It's going to be nice having two scopes capable of imaging different FOVs. The 120 is a lot tighter and great on some galaxies etc. But this will be great on nebs and some of the larger galaxies.

Not having a shoe to utilise is not a big deal at all. It's just John (I think) said the one on his came with it.

I'm now going to allow myself to get excited again :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked... Finders

£29.99 free delivery. The W.O one on FLO is a shade over £70!!! :)

(No offence to FLO - I always treat their price as the benchmark and I know there is a premium to WO branded goods that's not FLO's fault)

The two I have are direct copies of the WO. Both supplied under different brands but are identical in every way to each other. Not sure if they're different to the WO one though.

As for the TS scope...I don't fancy drilling into it so I'll either give it a miss or stick it on top of one of the rings.

Just checked... Finders

£29.99 free delivery. The W.O one on FLO is a shade over £70!!! :eek:

(No offence to FLO - I always treat their price as the benchmark and I know there is a premium to WO branded goods that's not FLO's fault)

No probs :)

Let me know how you get along with it (the cheap finder). If you like it we'll put some into stock, we know where they are sourced :(

As for the TS scope...I don't fancy drilling into it so I'll either give it a miss or stick it on top of one of the rings.

The focuser already has the mounting holes, one on each side. They're the two silver grub screws near the back of the focuser.

John

I've got 2 MRFs (as they seem to abbreviate multi-reticule rdf to). One was branded Kson (and came, I think, from the Telescope Planet bankrupt stock sales on Ebay). The other I've had so long I can't remember where I got it from. All I was after from STL was the WO type Base (e-mailed Alan, sorted a price and it's on its way as I write).

Anyway as far as the finders themselves go there is only one difference - the brightness. The Kson one is actually quite faint to the point of having difficulty seeing it in daylight. The other is much brighter and even on the lowest setting is perfectly clear in daylight. I actually prefer the dimmer one as the brighter one can blot out stars even when on setting 1. When these were going on Ebay there was a thread on here about people thinking they were duff until they'd tried them out in the dark. Not sure if the ones you can source are the fainter ones - I think my brighter one must be designed as a gun RDF.

I'll let you know how the WO type base is once I've tried it out. I've got a spare Synta type base (purchased from FLO a while back :)) but I want to mount on the focuser of my Megrez 88 rather than the body so it rotates with the focuser and the radius of that is still right at the limit of the Synta base. I also thought the WO type base would look neater on it.

Re: Red Dot multi reticule finders.

The main difference I've found is in the reticule patterns used. Some are a lot more useful than others. While most (including the WO) are a bit too bright, the Kson is a bit too dim.

John

Just a quick question for those of you who have one of these:

The white end plug (focuser) supplied with the stock focuser...is yours a William Optics one? I know John has replaced his after his accident but can you have a peak and see if the swan logo is on the inside please?

Replacement scope arrived today. It had been checked over by Teleskop Service/Express before it was sent.

The main tube was very loose where it screws in, as was the dew shield. Holding the focuser, the whole thing was wobbly. Just needed to tighten it up.

Left hand focuser knob was blatantly wonky and looked like the shaft was bent. But I removed the knob and refitted it properly :icon_eek: Perfect now.

Small (very) dink in part of the focuser which was obviously done before painting. Cosmetic but still...I'd have liked it not to be there.

The tightening nuts (2" EP grips) in the first one were angled/bent. I thought this was deliberate so not to allow them to hit the focuser when the tube was fully in. This one they're not angled. So it was a QC issue with the first one.

Not sure why the plug in the focuser is a William Optics one either, but obviously they come from the same factory.

Main thing were the white specks of paint all over the inside of the lens (See pic. Large ones clearly visible - no flash photography). Too big to ignore or get rid of with flats but even so...not what I wanted from a brand new scope. These have obviously come from the threads of the tube.

TS told me to unscrew the lens from the tube and use a blower. Can't be arsed messing on with returning it so I've done it. Not happy of course. Especially the risk to the most expensive part of the scope. Shouldn't have to do this on a brand new item...if it is. But I just want to get on with my life. :rolleyes:

This scope is well made (potentially) but the QC seems to be shocking. A lot of it cosmetic but it's important. The paint on the lens aint cosmetic...of course.

Anyway...once all sorted it's a lovely scope. But the proof is in the pudding...optic quality. All reports say it's fantastic so I'm looking forward to some widefield AP :p

Putting this hassle behind me and looking to the future. Shame I'll have to go back for the flattener.

If the optics are as good as I'm led to believe...I'll forget all about this mess. :)

post-21451-133877615814_thumb.jpg

Hi Sy

Sorry you've had such a bad experience with TS. I've recently had a the 80/480 from them and apart from a small grub screw that had worked it's way loose and was rattling around inside! (soon dropped out after a few shakes) it was fine. I can't believe they shipped it out like that - totally astonished to be honest. I've had nothing but great service from them.

When it does get sorted and you get a good one you won't be disappointed.

Mark

As a UPS user, can I make a suggestion?

TS can instruct UPS to collect from you. When they use their online parcel booking, they specifiy your address for collection and their address for delivery. All of this is done using their account. They email you a PDF of the paperwork that has to accompany the parcel - 1 A4 sheet.

I have done this lots of times to recover parts from overseas customers.

It is up to TS to return faulty goods at their cost.

As a UPS user, can I make a suggestion?

TS can instruct UPS to collect from you. When they use their online parcel booking, they specifiy your address for collection and their address for delivery. All of this is done using their account. They email you a PDF of the paperwork that has to accompany the parcel - 1 A4 sheet.

I have done this lots of times to recover parts from overseas customers.

It is up to TS to return faulty goods at their cost.

I believe from an earlier post that TS has already sorted out the collection at TS's expense.

John

I believe from an earlier post that TS has already sorted out the collection at TS's expense.

John

In deed John. But that's not a plus for them. It's a duty. And the replacement scope they sent was a joke too.

They just couldn't care less.

In deed John. But that's not a plus for them. It's a duty. And the replacement scope they sent was a joke too.

They just couldn't care less.

That replacement is terrible. Even if they rectified that i am inclined to stay well clear after your experiences here.

I have made a little use of TS and found them helpful and prompt. However, they do seem to sell Sebens as beginner's scopes - which is rather poor form!

I think its fair to say they sell a mix of items and it is strictly 'buyer beware'.

Archived