Narrowband

Teleskop Service - TS 80/480 - First impression...not impressed!

Update #2: Replacement scope arrives! <<Click Here>>

Update #1: Pretty much the solution that's to be expected. But more importantly...it looks like I'm getting the scope I expected :eek:<<Click Here>>

It's sad when things don't turn out well but I think it's important to arm potential buyers with as much honest appraisal of equipment as possible. Good or bad.

After being told by Teleskop Service/Express (who were very helpful at the sales point) that my scope would arrive 2-3 days after buying...I finally received it 5 working days after. No biggy...it's here :(

"Great! It's arrived . No time to waste...lets get it opened!" were my first thoughts.

As soon as I pulled the scope out of the box I was immediately presented with a hex screw falling out (turns out from the focuser). Ok, not the end of the world...I can pop that back in. But not a great start. :)

Before doing any further inspections (beyond quickly eying over the OTA) I mounted it on the tri-pod.

Went to take off the dust cap and it's a screw on one. Again, no biggy. But after unscrewing it I see loads of small metallic specks all over the new optics (from the poorly made threads). That's not good. Who designs a scope where the end cap sheds metallic dust all over the lens and coatings! Also the end of the dew shield has two marks which look like misuse. Not the end of the world...but have I just bought a second hand scope here! :(

Went to the rear to check out the focuser. The brass fine adjuster looks filthy. I initially thought this was mucky hands from a tester (which is still not good) but it's not cleaning off. Looks tarnished.

So by this time I'm irritated. Understandably so.

Look down the scope without anything in the focuser and see a mark at the end of the inside (lens end). Not a little one...a big watermark type thing. From the inside it's quite reflective.

This is now completely not on.

Whether it would effect the imaging is irrelevant, I feel. It should be spotless.

Wind out the focuser and at the last 15mm it jumps. First sticks and then jumps. The final 5mm is fine.

Further small marks on the OTA would have been over-looked if it wasn't for the above. But they're now added to my gripe. Along with the plastic adapter from the ota to the focuser. Looks like the angle was cut with a rough hacksaw.

All in all this scope is a mess and I'm not impressed.

The optics may well be outstanding...but I expect it to arrive with me as designed. And unless watermarks on the inside are part of a secret astro technique...it's got to go.

TS replied to a calm email all apologetic and offered a cash refund or an exchange. I was assured this is a one off. I'm waiting for their reply on how to return it. But they've clearly forgotten about me.

Quick to reply when they're after a sale...not so when they've made a mess.

I hope they're not going to ask me to pay to return it.

To be honest, I was in two minds to what to do (exchange or refund). I'd like this scope for it's specs but even the metallic dust from the end cap threads will continue to risk wrecking the lens. I shouldn't need to go and source a slip on end cap. Also their lack of communication and the risk of more tat (as I need the flattener) means it'll likely be a refund.

£600 is a lot of cash. Doesn't matter if it's a good price for a triplet. It's a lot and I don't feel the way it arrived justifies this.

Pics attached. :(

post-21451-133877614093_thumb.jpg

post-21451-1338776141_thumb.jpg

post-21451-133877614107_thumb.jpg

post-21451-133877614116_thumb.jpg

post-21451-133877614122_thumb.jpg

post-21451-133877614129_thumb.jpg

post-21451-133877614135_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutted to be honest.

It feels nice and weighty (not heavy though) and the reports of the glass are 100% positive.

I was so excited and now I'm gutted :)

I'm just disappointed it's a mess. I wouldn't have been overly pleased if it was second hand...but new.

Am I over-reacting?

I'd go for the refund. It should never have left the factory/shop. There's no gurantee the next one wouldn't be similar, and even if it isn't, its hard to ignore the bad feeling from the first one. BTW I have a Meade 5000 APO with a screw on metal cap, and I haven't noticed any residue from repeated use.

It's must be very frustrating for you. I was reading last night news on FLO website and were explaining why, after many request they were not selling these types of triplets yet - something along the lines of design not up to the demands of mass market production yet, unlike the common ED designs.

Hope you manage to sort thinks out soon.

andrew

Sorry to hear about this and as you say its not acceptable. I've had a couple of bad experiences all of which you mention, poor build, poor condition, poor after sales .... with TS luckily not on scope purhcases and I will not be using them again.

If they do get back to you I would go for the refund without question.

good luck!

I'd go for the refund. It should never have left the factory/shop. There's no gurantee the next one wouldn't be similar, and even if it isn't, its hard to ignore the bad feeling from the first one. BTW I have a Meade 5000 APO with a screw on metal cap, and I haven't noticed any residue from repeated use.

Yeh, this must be made of a lesser quality alloy as it's pretty soft :)

Sorry to hear about this. From those pics and your description it doesn't seem to be a new scope at all and doesn't even sound like a proper production scope either. Perhaps someone in the shipping department shipped out an old pre-production or test scope that wasn't intended to go to a customer. Very unlike TS, and given their customer service history I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I'm sure of though from my own experiences of dealing with TS is that they will definitely put things right.

John

I was reading last night news on FLO website and were explaining why, after many request they were not selling these types of triplets yet - something along the lines of design not up to the demands of mass market production yet, unlike the common ED designs.

Many people have these scopes and are very very happy with them, they are great performers for the cost!... This is the first bad experience I have seen about TS and these triplets, this should not put people off buying them

BTW even the best companies can produce a duff scope :)

I should be clear on this (just in case); if the scope arrived in the condition it was advertised as...or rather without these issues...it would be a quality scope. There's no doubt about that.

If it was supplied without all the marks and tarnishing it would be excellent. Certain parts of it are top-notch.

But like said above...maybe it is a one off (like they said) or maybe it's more common.

I will remain gutted for the foreseeable future :(

You've got to laugh really :)

Sorry to hear about this. From those pics and your description it doesn't seem to be a new scope at all and doesn't even sound like a proper production scope either. Perhaps someone in the shipping department shipped out an old pre-production or test scope that wasn't intended to go to a customer. Very unlike TS, and given their customer service history I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I'm sure of though from my own experiences of dealing with TS is that they will definitely put things right.

John

Hope so John *thumbs up*

They replied to my first email after just 5 mins (which I thanked them for). Then failed to continue the conversation and now they're closed. Feels like they've just forgotten me and that's got my back up.

I would have expected a little bit of priority but I guess others will be buying £6000 (and the rest) scopes and my small purchase isn't really going to get all hands to the pump :)

When I got mine the fit and finish were absolutely flawless and it was spotlessly clean. The scope even survived a fall onto concrete from a fair height and other than a ruined focuser, it was fine and collimation was still spot on.

But I understnd how it would feel when you've laid out a fair bit of cash for a brand new scope and when it arrives it obviously isn't what it was supposed to be.

John

enough said ! Send it back & get a refund, but sending it back is gonna cost yar !

So far I only rate TS for is their Adaptors & Bits & seeing your report makes me feel even more angry.

Spend the extra & get a better scope....

Nadeem.

Im sure you can get a pretty decent scope for £600.00 without going to TS. For me to send back that stupid TS 65mm Quad it cost me £60 from fedex & that was the cheap options.... One important question: Did you choose a DHL or a UPS Delivery?

Or when you get £600 refunded speak to me I tell you how to spend that money !! :):D:D:D

Nadeem.

Im sure you can get a pretty decent scope for £600.00 without going to TS. For me to send back that stupid TS 65mm Quad it cost me £60 from fedex & that was the cheap options.... One important question: Did you choose a DHL or a UPS Delivery?

Or when you get £600 refunded speak to me I tell you how to spend that money !! :):D:D:D

Nadeem.

Hey fella,

I didn't choose...they sent UPS. I like UPS and have never had an issue with them.

It'll not cost £60 . I've sent 100s to Germany when I was in retail so it should be fine.

The problem as far as I'm concerned is I don't want to spend a penny more. They can email me the waybill and I'll pop it on. I think that's fair. :(

Paid with PayPal so they will help me.

But having not heard back from TS yet...it's too early for me to jump to conclusions.

ps. I'm sure you would Nadeem, I'm sure you would :eek:

Maybe TS will see this thread and feel red faced enough to go beyond just refunding and do something for you to make up for the inconvenience and bad will. :)

It really is a total embarassment to them.

I was quite cool about it with them until they stopped replying.

The answered the first email within 5 minute and I instantly replied. It's like a conversation that they just walked away from. Not even a "we'll get back to you tomorrow".

It got my back up so all softly softly went out the window.

I didn't want to post this thread. I was just going to mention the issues and how a replacement was sorted.

Shame. But it does seem like I'm the exception to the rule. :)

it's funny really, when I bought the quad, I was so angry - I rang TS to have a word... " Thats one thing I hate when retailers give a cold shoulder to their customers...

Nadeem.

Archived