Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

Regarding the pier, yes I know it should be poured all in one go - not allowed to set in the middle. It would be soooooooo much easier to do it in two or more pours.

I have the "leakage" problem in hand, I believe. I'm putting shuttering on the top of the base with a round hole to take the bottom plant pot so that the rim fits up against the shuttering to form a seal. I'll take and post photos tomorrow but meanwhile, I'll attach a diagram of the pier casing and shuttering cross-section.

The plan of action is to pour concrete into the base part hole and shuttering, adding horizontal rebar part way through. Then when almost to the top of the shuttering to nail on the top board fitted with the two plant pots (separated from the cardboard tube). This part will then be filled almost to the top before fixing the tube to the top plant pot. Last stage will be to fill the rest of the pier housing, tamping it down as it proceeds. It's going to be a mammoth concrete mixing and pouring job - wish me luck!

post-25795-133877626171_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just noticed - we've passed the 500 posts mark in this thread now :)

Yeah... and look who got the privilege :(:D

Nice one Kev !

Gina, there is no real rush with the mixing. The problem only occurs when the concrete is left a few hours between pours and has cured to the point where the new batch can't mix and bond with the old. You should be fine with your plan, however I would fit rebar first and then pour the mix, tampering to ensure now air gets in the mix

Gina, there is no real rush with the mixing. The problem only occurs when the concrete is left a few hours between pours and has cured to the point where the new batch can't mix and bond with the old. You should be fine with your plan, however I would fit rebar first and then pour the mix, tampering to ensure now air gets in the mix
Good, be able to stop for lunch then :) Yes, I probably will fit all the rebar first. I was thinking of some of the support blocks when I put some folded over pig netting in the hole half way through pouring.

I've increased the image update rate to 4 a minute. If this is a problem for anyone please tell me and I'll put it back to 2 (30 secs). I've also increased the file saving rate to the same to provide a better time-lapse film of the build. On days when I know I won't be working on the obsy build, I'll probably change back to capturing every 2 minutes.

In fact I've now hit the limit of capturing images and sending the data and we're only getting 3 updates a minute - actually about 21 seconds between images. I've added seconds to the time-stamp on the image.

In fact I've now hit the limit of capturing images and sending the data and we're only getting 3 updates a minute - actually about 21 seconds between images. I've added seconds to the time-stamp on the image.

Looking good Gina. Best of luck with the 'creteing. Looks like the weather will hold. It's good fun watching the story unfold on the webcam.

Thanks Kevin :)

Looks like some progress has been made since yesterday.

Carole

Yes, rebar for the pier hammered into the ground and bent to clear the pier bottom. Then fastened together at the top with jubilee clip and adjusted so that the top is vertically above the centre of the shuttering hole (and bottom of pier) using a plumb line.

Also, I've taken several photos which I'll post later - must get on now :(

Having a break and cooking/eating lunch - back outdoors later.

Amazing how long all these seeming small jobs take but I have to be 100% sure absolutely everything is ready and there will be no disasters when I'm pouring the concrete.

I'm attaching a few photos :-

1. Showing how the plant pot fits inside the shuttering hole.

2. The other side showing the pot rim up against the shuttering.

3. This shows the pier casing sitting on the shuttering.

4. The pier rebar sticking up through the shuttering hole with plumb line down through hole to align rebar top vertically above middle of hole (and therefore base of pier).

5. Top of rebar with pier tube held temporarily in place. I have yet to make up the jig to hold the tube.

post-25795-133877626444_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626451_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626458_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626466_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626475_thumb.jpg

Pleased to say whatever you did the page now refreshes just fine :)

Having a break and cooking/eating lunch - back outdoors later.

Amazing how long all these seeming small jobs take but I have to be 100% sure absolutely everything is ready and there will be no disasters when I'm pouring the concrete.

I'm attaching a few photos :-

1. Showing how the plant pot fits inside the shuttering hole.

2. The other side showing the pot rim up against the shuttering.

3. This shows the pier casing sitting on the shuttering.

4. The pier rebar sticking up through the shuttering hole with plumb line down through hole to align rebar top vertically above middle of hole (and therefore base of pier).

5. Top of rebar with pier tube held temporarily in place. I have yet to make up the jig to hold the tube.

Great pictures Gina (can you get the webcam to be this clear?! :)

I hope you can keep it all straight when you pour the concrete!

Great pictures Gina (can you get the webcam to be this clear?! :)
Unfortunately not. Maybe the new top end model, which is full 1024p HD, might be better. This one is 1280x800 or 720p HD but I didn't buy it for super resolution - it was only meant as a weather cam. I chose it for it's wide angle view. Of course, for the present application a narrower view would be better. I'm afraid I'm not going to spend sixty quid on a higher res webcam, sorry :) The stills are taken with my DSLR and scaled to be small enough to attach to posts. I'm very pleased with it :(
I hope you can keep it all straight when you pour the concrete!
Yes, that's what I'm working on now. Problem is to allow enough room to pour the concrete in whilst maintaining sufficient rigidity.

I've taken some more pics which I'll post shortly. Time for tea now :)

A couple more photos :-

1. & 2. Attaching the threaded rods that hold the mount adapter.

3. More rebar in the pier base hole.

post-25795-133877626621_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626629_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626637_thumb.jpg

It's looking good Gina. There are some great tips and ideas in these threads.

I'm in the process of drawing up some plans for mine. Space will become available on Wednesday.:)

A couple more photos :-

1. & 2. Attaching the threaded rods that hold the mount adapter.

3. More rebar in the pier base hole.

Cat, dog, ducks and cows. What will we see next I wonder - herds of Wildebeest galloping across the plains??

I also note the creative use of an old radiator for the shuttering. :) What, along with the plant pots, Mr Heath & Robinson would be very proud!

It's looking good Gina. There are some great tips and ideas in these threads.
Thanks Tony :)
I'm in the process of drawing up some plans for mine. Space will become available on Wednesday.:(
I'll be interested in seeing your plans and even more when you start building :)

Cat, dog, ducks and cows. What will we see next I wonder - herds of Wildebeest galloping across the plains??
Ah, you haven't seen the goats yet then :(
I also note the creative use of an old radiator for the shuttering. :) What, along with the plant pots, Mr Heath & Robinson would be very proud!
He he :) That little radiator fitted just right :)

Been a busy day with lots of little bits done. Think I'm just about ready now to pour the pier concrete. The threaded rod now seems pretty firm and most of the places concrete could leak out are covered - just a little bit more to do. Hoping to mix and pour concrete tomorrow.

Took several photos today photos today and I'll attach some more now :-

1. 2. 3. Threaded rods fastened to rebar at top of pier.

4. 5. Threaded rods fastened to rebar further down and showing rebar in pier base hole. Height of fastenings determined by rebar angle - set to make threaded rods vertical.

6. Wooden blocks used to fasten plant pot to shuttering. These blocks are secured with wood screws to facilitate dismantling shuttering.

7. Pier assembly without tube

8. Pier assembly with tube.

post-25795-133877626695_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626702_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626707_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626714_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626721_thumb.jpg

post-25795-13387762673_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626737_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877626745_thumb.jpg

Archived