SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Break for a cuppa... :)

Cleared the working area, set up a thick plywood board from bank to pier hole with supports underneath, moved mixer onto it, close to hole.

"Houston, we have a problem!"

All set to start mixing concrete and found the mixer wouldn't work :( So I've been investigating the electrics. Found the problem - the overload cutout on the mixer has broken. :) I think I can probably effect a repair but it'll take a while.

That mixer looks mighty close to the pier. Hope you have enough room to load/unload!
I've moved the mixer round a bit to give easier access for filling.
I also notice that the comfy chair has gone - this is looking serious!
:)

Are you actually building this observatroy yourself Gina?

If so, hats off to you.

carole

Yes, all by myself. My OH is rather wobbly on his legs ATM but getting better all the time. He was quite ill and spent 6 months in hospital. Pretty much recovered now but not quite up to helping me with the build.

Well... I fixed the mixer and now seriously mixing and pouring concrete into my pier hole - which seems enormous!! :)

Ooh, very shiny tractor. I now have tractor envy. :)
Tim (my OH) takes very good care of his things and likes doing things up :(

Pier base hole now about a third full.

Concrete is now up to the shuttering so over a foot deep. Now used a whole big bag of ballast and about to start on the second. A long job but progressing...

Thanks Tony :)I'll be interested in seeing your plans and even more when you start building :(

Gina you have my admiration. :) I wish I was in a position to have helped you. I could have dropped my wife at Ottery Garden Centre and spent the day with you.

I have been watching on the wedcam and feeling for you working alone.

My plans are not technical, just for me to estimate the materials. I will certainly post images as I go.

Gina you have my admiration. :) I wish I was in a position to have helped you. I could have dropped my wife at Ottery Garden Centre and spent the day with you.

I have been watching on the wedcam and feeling for you working alone.

My plans are not technical, just for me to estimate the materials. I will certainly post images as I go.

Thank you Tony :( Looking forward to your images.

Pier base concrete complete and top shuttering screwed down on top. Now need to pick up more cement and ballast for the pier itself (from shed and yard).

Well done indeed Gina. I've been restoring my shed roof most of the day so haven't been keeping up with your webcam, but sounds like you've made great progress. Looking forward to seeing it when the shuttering comes off!

It must have been a busy day for you. Well done ! ;-)
Thank you :) Yes, a very busy day, quite a marathon and very tiring. I shall be taking it easy today - just a bit of tidying up.

Well done indeed Gina. I've been restoring my shed roof most of the day so haven't been keeping up with your webcam, but sounds like you've made great progress. Looking forward to seeing it when the shuttering comes off!
Thank you Kevin :) Much relieved to have the concreting finished I must say. Not my vavourite job by a long way! Just hard work.

How long should I leave the shuttering in place? I've never done concreting on this sort of scale before.

Gina, excellent progress, just take things slowly so you don't over do things.

Personally I would leave the shuttering in place for 3 to 4 days. There is no hard and fast rule as it will depend on the mix that was poured and how well you removed the air, the weather conditions etc.

Photos of the pier and base hole concreting :-

1. Equipment set up for pier base hole filling.

2. Pier base hole about half full (15" deep).

3. & 4. About 4" to go.

5. Pier base filled and levelled off ready to take top shuttering.

6. Base top shuttering screwed on and plant pots filled with concrete.

7. & 8. Pier filled with concrete.

post-25795-133877627621_thumb.jpg

post-25795-13387762763_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877627639_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877627648_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877627656_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877627664_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877627672_thumb.jpg

post-25795-13387762768_thumb.jpg

Gina, excellent progress, just take things slowly so you don't over do things.
Yesterday was exceptional because of pouring all the pier concrete without any setting part way through. I don't expect any more high pressure days like that, all the rest I should be able to do at my own speed :) I'm feeling a bit tired and achy today but not too bad - at least I took care not to hurt my back. It was mainly arm and hand work.
Personally I would leave the shuttering in place for 3 to 4 days. There is no hard and fast rule as it will depend on the mix that was poured and how well you removed the air, the weather conditions etc.
No problem - it can stay there for a while. I think I gave the concrete a good poking so hopefully no voids.

Archived