Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rain's come in now so that's it for today. 3rd beam cut to length, soil removed to accommodate it and it's more or less in position. Needs level and height checking - to do tomorrow.

Good to see things progressing Gina.

If it's not a stupid question, why are you levelling the beams before you put the concrete footings in place?

Good to see things progressing Gina.
Yes, thank you :hello2:
If it's not a stupid question, why are you levelling the beams before you put the concrete footings in place?
So that I can tell how high to make the concrete pads. But if anyone has an alternative suggestion... :D

Just checked into your webcam. Have you budgeted for a windscreen wiper?! ;-)
Looks like it could do with one :hello2: I shall probably make a bigger hood for it, that should help.

Yes, thank you :)So that I can tell how high to make the concrete pads. But if anyone has an alternative suggestion... :hello2:

That's fair enough I guess. No doubt another stupid question will be posted tomorrow!

That's fair enough I guess. No doubt another stupid question will be posted tomorrow!
"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!" :hello2:

Rain overnight, drizzle now - site very wet and muddy. BUT... It's supposed to clear up this morning with sunshine this afternoon and up to 25C :D Fingers crossed!

XP box self-rebooted overnight :) Back on now, with webcam.

Hmmm :hello2:

Let's hope the weather improves. Yesterday the forecast for here was for sun both today and tomorrow. This morning it's grey and damp and according to the forecast now there's little chance of sun at all today. It's beginning to depress me, I have to admit. We've not had a decent few days of weather on the trot for months and the nights have been so rubbish that I've not been out with the scope for a month and a half :D

Is doing the webcam capture not possible using Linux, Gina? It might be a little more reliable than XP appears to be?

James

Hmmm :hello2:

Let's hope the weather improves. Yesterday the forecast for here was for sun both today and tomorrow. This morning it's grey and damp and according to the forecast now there's little chance of sun at all today. It's beginning to depress me, I have to admit. We've not had a decent few days of weather on the trot for months and the nights have been so rubbish that I've not been out with the scope for a month and a half :D

Yes, dreadful isn't it?! :)

Forecast for Devon is better - supposed to clear up and become sunny. Well, it's stopped raining but it's still overcast and dull. Have to see...

Is doing the webcam capture not possible using Linux, Gina? It might be a little more reliable than XP appears to be?
I'll have to have another try. Linux is certainly more reliable than XP but so far I haven't found a Linux app that will run the MS Lifecam at high res. - only 640x480. I'm currently running at 1280x800 and saving image files at that res but reducing to 800x448 for the website. Incidentally, I'm thinking of adding a full res page for the MS Lifecam images.

The rain has stopped at last and it's warming up. Trying to brighten up too but the air is still very damp. So is my site! Still very wet and muddy - it will take some time to dry up enough to do any ground work. I've been clearing up a bit this morning and may be able to check height and level of beam 3 this afternoon.

I has warmed up a lot this afternoon. Warm sunshine and now 22C. The ground is drying out and I've cleaned out holes 5 and 6 (of 6) ready for concreting. I've also levelled up and set the height of beam 3. I've moved the cement mixer next to hole 6 of 6. I think I'll do that one first - it's the driest.

Your webcam show's that you have good weather to do concrete work:) I also get some painting work done today, i have to say it's kind of work i dont like to do. My painting/drawing skills have always been poor. I will add couple images soon.

Yes, warm and sunny :hello2: Just poured the first of the support blocks. Took a whole bag of cement and the associated quantity of ballast - two mixer fulls! Now I'm exhausted!

Foggy this morning, particularly earlier. Now it's burning off with strong sunshine. Also warming up. Very heavy dew and the site is pretty wet so I'll leave it to dry off (having uncovered hole 4, which I had covered with a board). Just measured the depth and it's 15" so I'm going to include a big concrete block (9x9x17) that came from a 9" thick wall to conserve concrete. I'm thinking of filling that one next as it's nearest where the cement mixer is ATM.

To clarify the floor construction I'm attaching a couple of diagrams.

1. Floor beams and concrete work.

2. Floor frame - concrete blocks, beams, joists and boarding.

post-25795-133877623826_thumb.png

post-25795-133877623837_thumb.png

Change of plan, I'm going to fill hole 5 next. Then when the concrete has set, I can remove beam 3 (spanning holes 5 and 6) and get the warm room area of the site levelled. It will also give access to hole 3.

Hole 5 filled with concrete up to the beam. Ties inserted into concrete to fasten beam to later. Did same with hole 6. Should be able to get another hole or two filled today.

Anyone been watching my antics on webcam today? :hello2:

Didn't manage to concrete two more holes today - just three-quarters of one!!!

I succeeded in backing the tractor plus mixer full of concrete into the workings! ;) But I ended up three-quarter filling a hole I hadn't intended and managed to get both tractor and cement mixer out of the hole. No damage done - except to my pride if anyone was watching the webcam! :D

I was all set to fill hole 4 and had the cement mixer full of concrete ready to pour and the big concrete block ready to drop in once I'd poured a foundation layer in the bottom. I was manoeuvring the tractor when something went wrong and I went backwards, big back wheels going over the big concrete block and bag of cement and into the hole, mixer of concrete and all, right across to the fence over the other side. Mixer ended up in small hole 3. I managed to drive the tractor out of the hole and up onto the grass and then lever the mixer out of hole 3. I cleared the debris out of hole 3 and dug most of the concrete out of the mixer and into the hole before it started to set.

Used a rope and tractor to haul the mixer out then cleaned up and put things away. Had quite enough of it for today, thank you!!!! :)

Anyone been watching my antics on webcam today? :hello2:

!!!! :D

You'll be pleased to hear I missed your antics!

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a low-tech wheel-barrow rather than a tractor? May actually be quicker also?

That said - good to see some 'crete being poured!

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a low-tech wheel-barrow rather than a tractor? May actually be quicker also?

There speaks a man who doesn't own a tractor :hello2:

There's an old engineering maxim that "there's nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer, an angle grinder and duct tape". If you own a small-holding or farm that list necessarily extends to include a tractor and in fact the first three are mostly still there for making or fixing tools for the tractor to use.

I reckon it's more likely that Gina's error was actually not using a concrete mixer tractor attachment (yes, they do exist) in the first place :D

James

There speaks a man who doesn't own a tractor :D

There's an old engineering maxim that "there's nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer, an angle grinder and duct tape". If you own a small-holding or farm that list necessarily extends to include a tractor and in fact the first three are mostly still there for making or fixing tools for the tractor to use.

I reckon it's more likely that Gina's error was actually not using a concrete mixer tractor attachment (yes, they do exist) in the first place :)

James

Yep, you're right, but I do own a wheelbarrow (with a dodgy wheel). I stand corrected! :hello2:

:hello2:

I find I haven't got the strength to handle a wheelbarrow of concrete and I can only just carry a bag of cement a small distance. I use the link box on the back of the tractor to move heavy stuff about. The bulk bags of ballast were delivered just inside the gates and I can shovel quantities of it from bag to link box. Likewise with cement bags from the shed and such things as concrete blocks. It will also just take the cement mixer, so I put that in the box yesterday and moved it to the next place. It seemed ideal to fill and use the mixer in the link box.

It was when I was manoeuvring the box nearer the hole to be filled that I had the problem. What happened I don't know. Maybe I was tired, affected by the sun or just lost concentration, but I couldn't stop the tractor going backwards down into the workings. I eventually stopped it just before it had a chance to demolish our fence and career through next doors electric fence and down the bank into his field.

I shall be more careful in future and stop as soon as I feel tired - not try to finish that last little bit. Not work in the hot sun either. I have learned an important lesson I think! I was lucky! No harm done and I'm no worse for wear today.

Had brief light shower a little while back but it's fine again now though totally overcast.

I've cleared the debris and mud out of hole 4 ready for concreting, put the mixer back together and put the mains plug back on - the cable had pulled out. Mixer all ready to go again.

BTW the I moved the webcam round a bit further eastwards to show the whole workings. (And I'm not worried about anyone seeing my "mistooks" :hello2::D

Archived