Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

The ground slopes so it's dug out nearest the webcam where the ground is higher. Also, I don't want the shed floor and hence the roof too high so I've reduced the level all over by a few inches below the lower edge. This also means I don't have to go quite so deep with the footings to reach solid ground. The pier base hole is dug down to about 2ft below the surrounding (dug out) ground level.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gina

Why don't you cover the holes with boards before you put the tarp over the site? That way, it wouldn't sink into the holes and fill with water.

Alternatively, it must be possible to elevate one side of the tarp slightly (when you put the tarp over that is), so the water runs off?

At the moment, it looks like you're making more work for yourself than necessary.

Looks like my XP box has crashed! I'll go and check. I've got boards over the holes now and raised the tarp up on beams a bit so hope it'll run off better.

Removed most of the spoil heap with tractor and link box.

Couple more photos :-

1. Hole 3 of 6 - middle beam support - 20" square by 10" deep.

2. Spilt some of the water out of the tarp into the pier base hole ;) I'll pump it out later when I'm ready to concrete.

post-25795-133877622617_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877622624_thumb.jpg

Gina

Why don't you cover the holes with boards before you put the tarp over the site? That way, it wouldn't sink into the holes and fill with water.

I tried but water settled between planks and then when I tried to get it to run out over one of the planks some of it ran out the side and down the slope into the pier base hole. Hopefully I've done better tonight ;)
Alternatively, it must be possible to elevate one side of the tarp slightly (when you put the tarp over that is), so the water runs off?
Tried to do that, last night without success, hopefully better tonight!
At the moment, it looks like you're making more work for yourself than necessary.
Agreed!

Fine and sunny ATM though we did get a light shower about half an hour ago. So I'm hoping to make more progress today. I have a problem with the XP box and the webcams aren't working. I can probably fix it but it takes lower priority than the observatory. If it rains or I need a break from the heavy stuff I'll look at it.

Sunshine and showers this morning - in the middle of one now. I've started digging out hole 4 of the 6. The ground is very wet and heavy but the worst problem is stones. I'd considered getting a post hole digger but read that they were not good at coping with stones (some of them up to 6" or more). Hand digging seems the best option for these smaller holes. Getting there - slowly.

Well, I think I saw the tarp move, and perhaps a spade, but even the cows have got bored and wandered off ;) Do they come and peer over the fence when you're working? The ones owned by our neighbour do. I really must try to get a photo of them watching the cricket one day.

James

Well, I think I saw the tarp move, and perhaps a spade, but even the cows have got bored and wandered off ;) Do they come and peer over the fence when you're working? The ones owned by our neighbour do. I really must try to get a photo of them watching the cricket one day.

James

The cows were taken up to the farm but seem to be back again now. Yes, they do come to the fence and watch some of the time. A photo of cows watching cricket would be rather good :D

Currently, work is on hold due to rain - frequent light showers. They're forecast to clear away this afternoon. It doesn't seem worth putting the tarp back over the workings.

Aww, it doesn't seem to be updating any more.
Oh, right! I'll check it out.

Hole 4 of 6 now dug out. 20"x18"x10" (estimated). Anyway, I'm now down to the solid clay level, so should be firm enough. Next job is to cut a beam to length and offer it up, set it level and same height as the first beam (which is already set up level). I have a laser level which is very useful for these 2m+ spans.

The XP box I'm running seems to be having serious problems. It crashes and only powering off will release it. Now it's refusing to even start up. I do have another XP box in our store room. It's a lower spec one but might suffice. I'll dig it out and see if it's working later. I want to make the best of the good weather for outside work.

Got another XP box running but haven't yet set up the FTP for uploading. May sort that out this afternoon - particularly if it rains ;)

Almost finished digging out hole 5 of 6 - just need to check the depth.

Hole 5 of 6 completed and 6 of 6 well under way. Rain showers are limiting outdoor progress. Beams 1 & 2 are set up in position and level.

Still to do for the ground preparation phase :-

1. finish hole 6 of 6

2. cut beam 3 to length

3. clear soil under beam 3

4. set up beam 3 in place and level

5. check ground level for clearance under joists and remove soil as required

6. remove spoil.

XP box working but FTP isn't - don't know why yet. FTP always seems a so-and-so to get going, I don't know why. LAN and internet is working fine to/from that machine.

Webcam working now :hello2: But there's a nasty fine drizzle so I don't think there will be much action to see tonight.

Finished hole 6 of 6 :D So all holes dug but some debris to clean out. The pier base hole has almost drained out (or evaporated) but the bottom is now soft muddy clay. It'll need to dry out a fair bit before it's OK for the concrete.

There's more rain forecast for tonight but I'm not going to bother with the tarp - too difficult to provide adequate support. There's fine weather forecast for tomorrow afternoon and Sunday so it should dry up. I'm hoping to pour some concrete at the weekend.

The rain's come in now so that's it for today. 3rd beam cut to length, soil removed to accommodate it and it's more or less in position. Needs level and height checking - to do tomorrow.

Now at last beginning to look as if something's happening :hello2:

Here's a cropped webcam image - too wet to use DSLR!

post-25795-13387762322_thumb.jpg

What is the purpose of the beams?
The beams support the joists - easier than building walls for that purpose.
And thanks for getting the cams back up and running.. ;-)
Happy to oblige :hello2: Glad it's of interest.

Id be tempted to make sure those beams dont come in contact with the ground and maybe sit them on some DPC.
Absolutely! :hello2: Once I get the concrete blocks done I shall dig out the soil underneath an inch or so lower so it doesn't touch and I already have a roll of 9" wide DPC to put between concrete and beams.
Looking forward to seeing it spring up.
Yes, you and me both :D

Archived