Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked into your webcam. Have you budgeted for a windscreen wiper?! ;-)

Where is the link to the webcam, this could be interesting to watch? Have browsed the last few pages, but this is long thread.

Carole

Where is the link to the webcam, this could be interesting to watch? Have browsed the last few pages, but this is long thread.

Carole

Sorry - I'll add the webcam link to my signature.

Really cool... quite a lot of "Bovine Action" at the moment! :hello2:

A great alternative to having about three people (usually male!) standing around, reminiscing about their "DIY glory days", and their "proper tools" (so to speak) etc. :D

Carole

When will the thread break the magic 500.........:hello2:

Gina - d'you get a special award for reaching this I wonder?:D

Made a bit more progress today - two more holes filled with concrete :D Hole 4 including the big concrete block (think it will need making a bit higher, have to check that later) and hole 2, right up to the beam. Two wall ties inserted into the concrete for holding the beam down. (I was particularly careful handling the tractor today :hello2: )

Raining this evening but I've finished for the day anyway.

That leaves hole 1 and adding to holes 3 & 4 to bring the concrete up to beam height. I don't think I can fill hole 1 until I've got the site reasonably level. Same applies to the pier hole and pier.

I have added a full resolution (1280x800) webcam page to my web site :- Webcam

This is the same view as the page in my signature but with higher resolution and with the southward view (including observatory build site) only.

Thanks Gina. The webcam is fun but tricky to see the detail of what's going on. Looks a mighty big hole. Any chance of some pics tomorrow if it's dry enough to get out?

Ta!

Yes, OK I'll do that. I agree, the webcam is a bit far away and at the wrong angle to see much. I may be able to move it to get a better angle but I don't think it will be much nearer. Bit difficult without mounting it on a pole and there's the cable length to consider. I'll see what I can do. Would it help to reduce the time interval between captures? (currently 2 minutes)

I've moved the webcam to a different place, looking more into the workings. This is the nearest I can get without a lot of effort. I'll post photos and diagrams showing the ground work and holes later.

Had to go out this morning but I did clear up a bit, dug under one of the beams to give clearance, put beams 2 & 3 in place and propped up beam 2 to it's level. 3" to build up for hole 3 and 5" for hole 4. I was a bit out with the depth of hole 4 but I went down to solid clay which I think was right. I also set up my rain gauge - moved it from where the pier hole is now.

I'm hoping to build up holes 3 & 4 to beam bottom level, so you should see some action this afternoon. Shortly :hello2:

Here are some photos I took this morning of the workings, from various angles. Note :- these were taken with the zoom at wide angle (18mm) so the geometry is distorted.

post-25795-133877625047_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877625055_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877625064_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877625072_thumb.jpg

See the deckchairs out....hope you haven't been slacking :)
Not been used today. Somewhere to sit while I wait for the concrete to mix - I like it thoroughly mixed :hello2: Oh, and being an old fogey, I need to rest every so often :D

Well, I've done what I set out to do today :hello2: Built up the concrete level in holes 3 & 4 up to the beam and inserted wall ties into the concrete. Just one support block and the pier now and that will be the concreting done :D Shan't be sorry about that - not my favourite occupation!! I'll be much happier when I get to the carpentry stage :)

Planning to go to town tomorrow and get some more rebar for the pier and wall ties for the last support block. Used up what I had. Will probably also get a couple of boxes of screws too. They're cheaper from the shop in Honiton than online (eg. Screwfix).

Such a lovely evening that I couldn't resist doing some more :hello2: So I've been levelling off the spoil heap to well below joist level and also dug out the north side of obs area to clear the joists and floor. Tidied up the ground level generally and removed debris from the pier base hole and hole 6

Archived