Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

Been out shopping today - bought rebar for my pier construction and some other odds and ends. Started to cut an old piece of chipboard for shuttering for the top of the pier base and to take the bottom of the pier casing. Find I've run out of blades for my jigsaw - hoping to get some more tomorrow. Tried a hand keyhole saw but it's too heavy going :) I'm also sorting out pieces of wood for the side shuttering.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pictures are great Gina.
Thank you :(
Some good progress being made.
Beginning to get there :)
Looks like your dog is enjoying the build also!
Seems to have passed inspection :)

It's interesting watching this on the webcam excellent idea. You know it's refreshed every time a cow moves.

Carole

Glad you like it, makes it worth setting it up :)

Got the link box filled up with ballast and another bag of cement ready to concrete the last support block. There should be some action today :(

yep, I see the tractor is in position .. ;-)
Yes. And I used the tractor and link box to move the cement mixer to the hole to be filled. Unfortunately the tractor blocks the view from the webcam but that's where it has to be for filling the mixer.

I'm thinking I might up the refresh rate for the webcam - 2 minutes is rather a long time for this purpose.

Are you actually keeping all these webcam images? You could them do a time lapse video of your build... ;-))
Yes, I'm saving the full res images every 2 min.

Final small hole now filled with concrete and piled up under the beam plus wall ties inserted and concrete pressed well in. Now washing out the cement mixer.

This afternoon I plan to sort out the shuttering for the pier base.

. There should be some action today :)

Aw heck. Think I've missed it again! Even on HD I can't seem to find you. P'raps you're hiding behind the tractor :( or maybe at lunch. I'll tune in later for some shuttering action....

Correction, there you are! Resplendant in your pink outfit. Marvellous!

Lots of gazing into the hole, which seems to have worn you out as you're now sitting in the comfy chair!

Must feel strange knowing the world is watching your every move?

Just checked the web cam.. see the ducks inspecting the work :) - strange thing is that the browser doesn't automatically refresh the image...
That's odd - mine refreshes OK - Firefox. There's html code in there to refresh the page. This is supposed to work with all browsers, doesn't use javascript or anything fancy. Here's the head code with refresh lines highlighted in red :-
<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
http-equiv="content-type">
<title>Webcam</title>
[COLOR=Red] <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="30">
<meta http-equiv="expires" content="0">
[/COLOR] <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://ginad.org.uk/weathergd/normal.css"
type="text/css">
</head>

I have to say Gina that the landscape where you live looks glorious, especially in the afternoon sun. I live in a pleasant village but nothing as rural as yourself. I'm very envious.

EDIT: It would make me feel happier if you said there was a huge industrial complex just behind the webcam!! ;-)

I have to say Gina that the landscape where you live looks glorious, especially in the afternoon sun. I live in a pleasant village but nothing as rural as yourself. I'm very envious.

EDIT: It would make me feel happier if you said there was a huge industrial complex just behind the webcam!! ;-)

I'm afraid I can't Kevin, because there isn't. Yes, it's very rural, nearest village is half a mile away. We really love it here, could hardly do better. :) I love hills and leafy lanes and animals. I was born in The Cotswolds so that's probably why I love the hills - can't stand flat country!

I've finished working on the obsy site for the day now - just have the goats and ducks to put to bed.

Quite pleased with today's efforts - last support block poured, shuttering done for the pier base and rebar hammered into the ground. The jigsaw blades arrived today and I was able to cut a nice round hole in an old piece of chipboard to hold the bottom pier plantpot and stop concrete spilling out the bottom of the pier casing.

Hoping to pour the pier base and pier concrete tomorrow though I still have the threaded rods for the mount to fix to the rebar. At least that's what I'm thinking of ATM, and pour the concrete around them, rather than try to push them down into the concrete once poured.

That's odd - mine refreshes OK - Firefox. There's html code in there to refresh the page. This is supposed to work with all browsers, doesn't use javascript or anything fancy. Here's the head code with refresh lines highlighted in red :-
<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
http-equiv="content-type">
<title>Webcam</title>
[COLOR=Red] <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="30">
<meta http-equiv="expires" content="0">
[/COLOR] <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://ginad.org.uk/weathergd/normal.css"
type="text/css">
</head>

Tried it in both FF and IE and it only works when pressing F5 - Did manage to get a frame of someone with long hair and blue jumper at 20:44 (Gina I presume ?) between successive F5's !

The jigsaw blades arrived today and I was able to cut a nice round hole in an old piece of chipboard to hold the bottom pier plantpot and stop concrete spilling out the bottom of the pier casing.

Hoping to pour the pier base and pier concrete tomorrow though I still have the threaded rods for the mount to fix to the rebar. At least that's what I'm thinking of ATM, and pour the concrete around them, rather than try to push them down into the concrete once poured.

You've probably thought of this, but if you fill the whole pier in one go there may be a risk the concrete will force it's way out from below the plant pot due to gravity. If it were me, I'd fill just above the pot and, when set, fill the rest of the pier. this said, I'm sure you know what you're doing! Good luck. :)

Kev, that could lead to a weakness between the two pours where they join. It would be better to make some form of shuttering around the bottom of the pot, or use stone chippings around it to give the concrete something to cling on to, and then pour all in one go

Tried it in both FF and IE and it only works when pressing F5 - Did manage to get a frame of someone with long hair and blue jumper at 20:44 (Gina I presume ?) between successive F5's !
That's very strange - don't know what to suggest :) Anyone else having this problem? Yes, that was me, putting the ducks to bed.

Kev, that could lead to a weakness between the two pours where they join. It would be better to make some form of shuttering around the bottom of the pot, or use stone chippings around it to give the concrete something to cling on to, and then pour all in one go

As the man with the experience :headbang:I see your point and agree with your recommendation!

Archived