Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81

M81.jpg

I'm not too sure about this image. Collimation wasn't perfect and as a result I had to "fix" it...... Nevertheless a lot of time was involved here, so it would be a waste not to use it. I sure need some extra time on the stars......:D

What do you think?

Exceptional.

Can't add anything more, can't fault it! Detail right into the core which to me is more important than the stars (too much lum would result in larger/stronger defraction lines).

If I was to be really picky (and I mean really), I'd look at just adding a little more detail in the core saturation area. If you follow the core arm out from the centre as it loops up towards the 12 o'clock position - it's that section I'd look to enhance the detail.

The standard of images on this forum recently is ridiculous! :D That's truly spectacular. The dust lanes into the core look superb!

I've been gobsmacked since I joined this forum last year and second your motion!

Very impressive image with serious resolution and strong but sensitive colour. Often you see images which are not making the most of big scopes. Not this time! Detail right into the core, too, which is tough on M81. Your style is what the French call 'hard' but that is just a matter of taste. Maybe turn the image to make more of the long side of your chip?

Olly

Thanx guys!

Maybe turn the image to make more of the long side of your chip
You are so right......

Laziness.... focus was ok, alignment was ok (spikes, hor/vert), nice calibration for autoguiding, just "did" another object. Didn't think M81 would drop off the CCD though! It did! It's huge!

Thanx guys!

You are so right......

Laziness.... focus was ok, alignment was ok (spikes, hor/vert), nice calibration for autoguiding, just "did" another object. Didn't think M81 would drop off the CCD though! It did! It's huge!

Yes, that is the great thing about imaging though, getting to see more and more. You are a victim of your own sucess here!

Olly

Maybe turn the image to make more of the long side of your chip?

Only problem there is you loose the artistic feel/composition if every image is horizontal. M104 (Sombrero) is one that everyone seems to image flat but it looks better at an angle in my opinion - same here.

True. I think a galaxy should be tilted a bit to give it that "floating in universe" look. But I also want to align the spikes or horizontal or in 45 degrees angle. Otherwise the spikes distract too much from the image itself. ( I have the urge to tilt my head lookin' at it :D ).

In this image it was laziness........ :p a 45 degree tilt would be perfect here.

Stunning image, really!!

I am thinking. Is it possible to zoom all the way into the red areas in the galaxy and see what it looks like with an amateur telescope? Or do you need a telescope like hubble to do stuff like that?

Archived