Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT or BackyardEOS

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you get a demo version of both to try...? Play with the programs in daylight taking pics and see which suits you the best...

I haven't tried BackyardEOS yet but have subscribed to APT although haven't used that for ages either and it does a lot more now than when I used to use it ...

I've never tried BackyardEOS, so i don't know how that compares. But for APT, i have only good things to say, so i'd give that a try at least. Free demo versjon also. :D

I have tried both. For me the decision was an easy one… BackyardEOS all the way; hands down!

*** my initial reaction ***

When I tried APT about 3 months ago the installation when smoothly. I was able to connect to the camera just fine… but from that point on I was disappointed. The application crashed 3 times within the first hour of using it. I also found it difficult to use out-of-the-box, constantly searching where the options where. I felt like I had to go hunting them down, it did not feel natural. I think however that spending more time with it I would have learned to know where the options were and then my experience would have been more and more positive. But the fact that it had crashed 3 times was a real bummer. From what I have read on SGL though the users that are using it seemed satisfied; I’m just not one of them.

As for BackyardEOS… WOW! I was so impress with the trial that I bought the full package only 20 minutes into my 30 day trial. The application automatically recognized my camera and the main features are well displayed in a natural fashion. I felt the application was personalized just for me, though I know it was not. BackyardEOS has never failed me, it never crashed once even after about 3 months of extensive/regular use.

*** conclusion ***

Both application will do 80% of the same functions… they are both meant for image acquisition using Canon DSLR so they have to offer similar functions.

Guylain (the creator of BackyardEOS) is extremely responsive to all questions… to the point where I don’t think he sleeps at night.

Ivo (the creator of APT) is responsive too based of what I have read; too bad his thread on SGL was deemed inappropriate and had to be removed… bummers.

They both stand by their product and we (the astro community) can only benefit from their personal dedication. I have to admire the GRAND effort they individually put into their product for a price that should have us buy both just to support their contribution.

Guylain and Ivo… total respect from me.

-bob

Have tried both, love Backyard EOS. Gives me all the tools I need and very user friendly.Designer (Guylain) always looking to do more and very positive at responding to ideas from users.

• 3 weeks later...
I must say i feel a little unnerved by the idea of downloading something with trojan in the name! :)

It does work very nicely :p similar to APT or BackyardEOS and free.

They all have something different to offer and each has it's own strengths. I use APT or AstroJanTools depending on what I'm doing.

I need to upgrade from my 10D before any of these will work anyway - I don't suppose anyone will be going to the trouble to make anything that backwards compatible! I can but hope.

Currently trialing Backyard, but cant find a mirror lockup function? anyone here know how to set this?

Mirror lockup will be available in version 1.2.0 in June 2011 for all DIGIC III+ cameras. Basically if your camera has live view then the mirror lockup will be available.

Thanks

Guylain

I'm using APT and it works great... Not tried backyard, but that's cos I'd already been using APT...

As for mirror lockup... liveview will work, but it leaves the AMP on, which causes amp glow problems. I've been running without mirror lockup, at 1370mm and I can see no ill effects on the images from doing so.

I am still in the process of trying both out. So far:

BackyardEOS has a superior user interface, it feels much more natural to use. It has less features than APT though.

APT has a very unnatural user interface and I found my first night of using it was a bit of a waste while I was learning how to use the software. It took me ages to even find the live view function. APT has also locked up on a few occasions so far. On the plus side, APT is more feature rich, such as mirror lockup support.

If Backyard EOS had slightly more functionality I would choose it in a second, but as it stands the jury is still out.

Cheers,

Chris

:D The development of the new interface is in progress and will be ready soon.

I have never really had an issue with the current UI......everything is where it should be and easy to find.

Hopefully the changes will improve an already superb program.:p

Just sharing my thoughts…

I’ve had this conversion with Ivo on different occasions/forums and we are on the same page (but feel free clarify a few points if you need Ivo).

Although it would be nice to have an impartial comparison of both products, I feel that it should not be a blanket statement “BYE is better” of “APT is better” as I don’t think there is a clear winner, I think its personal choice. Any full comparison will probably come out as 75% similar because both are meant for near-full image acquisition automation with Canon DSLRs. In the end, for me at least, it’s not about BYE or APT, it’s about providing the functionality you (the user) need. Both BYE and APT have their own workflow and both products offer different workflows to cater to most of you… you pick the one that best fit your workflow; there is really no animosity at my end either way.

Ivo and I are amateur astronomers just like you. BYE is a passion for me as APT is a passion for Ivo. The price of both APT and BYE is not proportional to the amount of hours we put into our software respectively. I’ve put close to 3,000 hours in BYE so far; that’s less than 1 penny an hour for each licensed copy. So why do we do it? Because we are passionate about this hobby and it’s our way to give back to a community that has helped us in our journey as amateur astronomers ... If we can help you in your journey in any way then both Ivo and I are coming out of this winners.

We just want to make your task easier and more enjoyable, that's all. And if APT is right for you then choose APT… and if BYE is right for you then choose BYE. I have no problem if you choose APT, and I'm willing to bet that IVO will say the same for BYE.

I totally respect APT users standing by their decision and promoting it as being the best tool for them; I just don’t want to be caught in the middle of war (for lack of a better word) because I created BYE to give back to a community that has given me so much in the past.

I hope I’m not offending anyone with this post as this was not my intention; I’m just sharing my thoughts openly.

Clear skies...

Guylain

(Creator of BackyardEOS)

Archived