Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ebay - Oh Deary Dear

adamsp123

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear :eek:

Someone is going to be dissapointed plus you can buy those new (not that you would want to) on e.bay for £125 ;)

I can't understand why folks don't do a bit more research before laying down good money a technical instrument (which is what they are) like a telescope :)

Then there's the other side when there's some top quality kit at a good price on eBay and it just gets ignored and doesn't sell. I suppose to the uninformed one metal tube looks like any other one. :)

John

I think the Cheap EQ mounts can be confusing to a new astromer..too someone in the know they will be instantly reconizable as poor quality, but too a novice they can look really good quality.

Then there's the other side when there's some top quality kit at a good price on eBay and it just gets ignored and doesn't sell. I suppose to the uninformed one metal tube looks like any other one. :D

John

That's very true John - there are some fine bargains to be had - if you know what you are doing :)

I picked up some very nice 20x80 binoculars on e.bay a couple of weeks back. They are Japanese and similar in build and optical quality to the Japanese Helios big binoculars. I needed sharp eyes to spot them though - the seller merely called them "big binoculars" with no reference to the aperture / power / brand / place of manufacture. An hours googling plus a quick bid later (I was the only bidder ;)) and I had myself a bargain :eek:

Everyone loves a bargain. The worst bit is thinking that any of the people bidding might be wanting to buy this as a present for someone. I think it's main selling point is the 'vertically adjustable tripod' as opposed to often seen horizontally adjustable one.:) Always makes me wonder if all the bids are genuine. People are clearly conned into believing that if they see enough bids then surely it must be good.

James

Problem with ebay is that a large number of sellers of dodgy scopes give a bad name

to the genuine dealers.

Agrees 100% with Johns coment

"Then there's the other side when there's some top quality kit at a good price on eBay and it just gets ignored and doesn't sell"

There must be some redeeming feature to them, maybe repurposing the mirror perhaps?

I briefly toyed with getting one, but some research here and on other forums convinced me that getting one for my first proper telescope would amount to self harm.

As I've remarked before though, what would Newton or Galileo have thought after looking through one?

Pretty convinced pulling a few apart would yield some useful parts, if nothing else.

Alan

I bought a Skymax 127 Supatrack new of there a couple of years ago, I got lucky. It was new.

I used it twice, realised it wasn't the 'scope for me so I put it back on Ebay.

It ended up selling for £50 more than I paid for it.

People do get sucked in and don't do their research.

Ebay can be good for a bargain but you need to know the score.

Is it allowed on Ebay to put an auction that is not selling anything but is an advert for Astro advice on equipment, a sort of Watchdog? So an unsuspecting newbie can ask a question about a particular scope on ebay and receive good advice on if to buy or not?

Is it allowed on Ebay to put an auction that is not selling anything but is an advert for Astro advice on equipment, a sort of Watchdog? So an unsuspecting newbie can ask a question about a particular scope on ebay and receive good advice on if to buy or not?

I don't think so, the best thing would be to use the ebay forums, which are full of the 'ebay police'.

I don't think so, the best thing would be to use the ebay forums, which are full of the 'ebay police'.

Problem is, not many think of using the forums when buying scopes, plus are there any AAs who could impart their knowledge on the forums?

Problem is, not many think of using the forums when buying scopes, plus are there any AAs who could impart their knowledge on the forums?

Personally I think that everyone who wants to buy a telescope should do plenty of research somewhere such as SGL.

Sorry to say it but if they don't, they're bound to get their fingers burnt.

This " bargain"

SEBEN REFLECTOR TELESCOPE | eBay UK

Makes me want to weep seeing how much people will pay for these ......

Just look at the mount ;)

I must admit I saw this the other day and although being aware it was a pile of junk was thrown a little by the price/ interest and questioned myself to if I had missed something. I almost put a post on SGL asking if Seben were any good.:) I would imagine it's even worse for the newbie who doesn't see the matchstick tripod and length of drain pipe.

I would be quite happy to knock together a pdf that can be updated from time to time, packed with scope models and their value and some reviews about each model. This can then be sold on ebay for 99p and all the profit going to an Astro related charity (if there is such a thing) if not any charity voted for. The only problem I could foresee is I would have to use photos provided by owners of any scopes good or bad as not to infringe any copyright?

So if anyone out there has pics of duds they have bought sent them to me in a PM and I will make a start.

Yep, good idea. Been lucky with ebay, bought a scope that the guy had unpacked after Xmas and decided it wasn't his thing.

Just feel so sorry for folks not knowing what they're buying , then getting nowhere.

If you can produce a pitfulls guide then do so.

Archived