Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M5 Globular Cluster

lukebl

Hi All,

Captured this image of this magnificent globular last night. I was never particularly keen on globulars as I thought they all look the same, but this one seems to have a 3-d quality. I've found that the balance and tracking on my scope is always best on subjects in this part of the sky (E-SE, close to the celestial equator) and I think I nailed it fairly well on this one. Never thought I'd wish for the clouds to return so that I can have an early night!

39 x 5mins, Canon 450d, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian, SW Coma Corrector, SW LP filter.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture11058-m5-2011-05-04b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Alright for some. I've been praying for a clear night so i can stay up late for a change.

So have I Adamski! :) It's still overcast here.

This view of M5 is very nice, I keep going back to look at it. ;)

Luke has done a fantastic job :) It reminds me of what I'm missing!

Great image of my (so far) favorite cluster: I was 'browsing' the sky a few months back and accidentally discovered M5. But before contacting NASA or other astronomical authorities, a quick look on Stellarium told me it was M5 and had been discovered a few hundred years ago.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'd almost forgotten that I'd posted this one. Amazing how much darker the skies are even in early May.

Never mind, the nights will start drawing in again next week!

Archived