NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new scopeI got

gary1968

Thanks Gordon, I managed to find, after a lot of searching a Celestron 130SLT... 8)

It's 2~3 months old, someone was selling it on SPA forum, so due to the lack of new ones I bought that one.

So, clouds are my fault tonight I'm affraid, sorry...... :rolleyes:

Gary

Thanks guys. :D

Just spent 3 hours out back tonight with the SLT, gave me no end of trouble to start with. :x

Found out after 1 1/2 hrs that I had set the time zone wrong! I know that we are GMT (UT) but following the celestron manual to the letter, or so I thought, the time zone map at the back of the book lead me to set the scope at zone 4 :D

Once that problem was sorted the scope aligned no problem and then went onto find all sorts of things but by then the clouds were coming in. :p

I did manage a good long look at my favorite stellar object, Saturn, WOW!! So much better / bigger / brighter then in the 114eq short I was used to :lol:

One small point, the SLT goto fuction was not so good when I sent it to Saturn, might have been a slight alignment problem but it found other objects I sent it to, Rigel, M42, Polaris, Mizar. There were others but Saturn was the only thing way out of the field of view. But as I said the clouds came in so that was the trial stopped for tonight.

Would any of you guys have any idea why that would have happened??

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep you posted on developments and let you see images taken with the 130 once I have got the SLT controls sussed.

Cheers just now,

Gary.

ZOG's suggestion is a good one - its a very good site with loads of information. Apparently Celestron's algorithms for finding planets are not particularly good; I regularly find I have excellent goto's until I look for a planet...

I got my new scope today................................ :D

The clouds will be my fault then................................. :lol:

well done on the new scope. Ought to give you hours of pleasure, even if it's a pain in the neck to begin with.

As for the new equipment weather phenomenon - many are under the misconception that the bad weather is national, but it is apparent that this is not ironic enough. The fact is, the new equipment weather only occurs within a 1 mile radius of wherever your scope is, and everyone outwith that area enjoys normal weather. For this reason, nobody is allowed to bring new equipment to the star party.

Andrew

Thanks guys, been and looked through the Nexstar site. Couldn't find any relevant info, but it's a great site for the SLT though... :lol:

I have e-mailed Michael Swanson and asked his advice, hopefully an aswer will follow soon..

Thanks again

Gary.

Archived