Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED120 used price`s

nightfisher

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I paid £550 for mine about 2 years back. It had the 10x50 finder and a William Optics dual speed focuser. Thats probably a bit on the high side today and you might be able to get a standard one with the original focuser for around £100 less than that.

I paid £238 for my Gold pro series ED100 C/W aluminium case but without a diagonal or spotting scope, and with single speed focusser on Ebay a couple 

of years back. A superb instrument, I have added the gold spotting scope, courtesy of Moonshane, added a Lacerta microfocusser, and a diagonal, bringing the cost to about £390. 

On that basis I was prepared to pay, and hoped to find, a Gold ED120 for about £600, in fact I very nearly got one, but the seller, not surprisingly, had a change of heart.

Not sure if this helps, but I would have thought the price to be in the right area. :smiley:

Mine is a bit 'cosmetically challenged' with a few scratches and marks but I fitted a decent dual speed and CNC rings. I'd value it about £500 as is so maybe about £400 with the standard fittings and bare OTA but with box would be about right.

I've no intention of selling mine but if you wanted to borrow it and would be willing to collect and bring back I'd gladly let you have it on loan for a month or so to see if it's what you hope. 

I think if selling 500 quid for a standard gold tube, but probably a bit more for a wanted ad to pull ED120 owners out of the woodwork. With that in mind I think you've pitched your ad about right Jules :)

I have seen them sell for anything between £525 and £750. I have come close to paying out £550 on a couple of occasions but just can't bring myself to part with that kind of cash on a 4.75" scope. So I guess the old saying applies, "they are worth what your willing to pay"!

Having made a few trips to the new house, i really think i am going to have to stop spending on astro gear and do some spending on DIY so dont think i will be getting the 120ED any time soon

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, i have confirmed one of the bonus`s at work as being higher than i hoped...............i may be able to get a nice used 120ED in january after all  :grin:

Thats good news Jules. I really think that you will not be dissapointed if you can get one. 20mm does not sound a lot but the performance edge it delivers over a 100mm refractor is really quite noticable.

Thats good news Jules. I really think that you will not be dissapointed if you can get one. 20mm does not sound a lot but the performance edge it delivers over a 100mm refractor is really quite noticable.

Quite right John, its either a 120ED or Altair astro 150 f6 newt, but i really like fracs so we know which one it will be

Nice one Jules.

I paid £795 for a virtually as new 120ED from Astroboot, complete with flight case, finder, diagonal and the 28mm LER eyepiece.

It's a great scope, so I don't begrudge this price at all. I think £500 or £550 for gold tube model would be well worth paying.

I'm probably going to go a similar way Jules. I do very much enjoy the views I get in the EVO150 but I just can't seem to dampen the vibrations when focusing and to buy a mount capable of suppressing them to what I consider an acceptable level will cost more than what a smaller used ED would. I just hope the correction on an ED120 compensates me for the 30mm loss in aperture ??

I don't think you would be disappointed with the 120ED Nick. You obviously lose a bit of aperture do it won't go as deep, but gain a lot in terms of correction and higher power capability

Have you thought about a motor focuser? I use one on the Vixen and even with the AZEQ6 it helps reduce vibrations.

I'm probably going to go a similar way Jules. I do very much enjoy the views I get in the EVO150 but I just can't seem to dampen the vibrations when focusing and to buy a mount capable of suppressing them to what I consider an acceptable level will cost more than what a smaller used ED would. I just hope the correction on an ED120 compensates me for the 30mm loss in aperture ??

Thats pretty much the path that led me to the ED120 Nick. I don't regret following it !

Archived