NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 Elephant's Trunk nebula in Ha, WIP

Barry-Wilson

I'm working towards a HST image and, with a bit of luck with the weather, may have collected enough data by the end of July (fingers crossed!).  I processed as I was getting concerned about gradients from the moon and also the limited 'darkness', the results were good enough to post as I haven't posted an image for some weeks - work, life etc - all the normal distractions preventing image capture.

Details:

• Tak FSQ85ED with reducer at F3.9
  • Atik 383L+
  • Astrodon 5nm Ha
  • 8 x 1800s at bin1
  • Avalon Linear Fast Reverse

Hi res, http://astrob.in/190175/B/

post-28392-0-14713300-1435432804_thumb.j

Thanks for looking.

Barry

Thanks for the comments Gav, xtreemchaos and Sara, really helps with the motivation!  Yes, I'm pleased with the results thus far.  I was concerned about the potential loss of contrast with these mid-summer nights and am re-assured.  Also, barely any NR too (just to bring a smile to Sara :grin: ).

The nebula is littered with Bok Globules and dark dust which gives contrast and interest as we know.  I was however, pleasantly surprised to see the two tiny Globules to the right of the end of the curled trunk.  These are clearly seen in this beautiful image from Eric Coles - big scope and dark sky, http://astrob.in/186073/B/.

Eric's with zoomed screen shot:

post-28392-0-78531300-1435435884.png

I think this is a tribute to the optics of the Baby Q, zoom from my shot even with limited data:

post-28392-0-45278300-1435435921.png

Barry

Thanks John.

Just re-examined your IC1396 - you've captured and resolved them too. Fantastic!

Almost feels like magic doesn't it?  Sitting in our back gardens capturing images of star forming regions millions of miles away . . .

Thanks John.

Just re-examined your IC1396 - you've captured and resolved them too. Fantastic!

Almost feels like magic doesn't it?  Sitting in our back gardens capturing images of star forming regions millions of miles away . . .

Agreed. It's the scale that never fails to amaze me. The Trunk is about 20 light years in length I think. So, that zoomed in image you posted is about 2 light years in size, say. Our solar system is about 1/1000th of a light year in diameter (to Pluto anyway). So, how many solar systems will fit in one of those tiny Bok Globules?  :smiley:

Regards

John

Thanks John.

That's exactly it! Beautifully put and a phrase I'll borrow if you don't mind. It's as close to magic as life allows, I reckon.

Super image, smooth, defined and contrasty. As you say, the Baby Q performs to a near-magical standard itself. Why do we like refractors so much? That's why.

Olly

It's worth pointing out here, when we talk about the difference in sensor size between the smaller Sony chips and the Kodak 8300 chip, that this took me a 2x2 mosaic to get all in. OK so I had a little more space around the edges, but that's seriously more data needed. Barry and I use the same scope and reducer, so it's a genuine comparison.

I don't want to take away from this thread and post the image, but it's a very interesting consideration when people um and ahh about which chip to buy.

I think Barry's image is excellent and it speaks for itself. This has certainly made me think of future setups. Now I'm sure this has been discussed before and I may have missed the thread but according to http://astronomy.tools/calculators/experimental/ the 8300 chip with the BabyQ and FR would give 3.54 "/pixel. The tool claims that this is under-sampled and the ideal is < 2"/pixel. So the question is if the evidence of the setup or the CCD tool correct ?

Well done Barry :) 

Thank you everyone for the kind words.  Got to make the most of the weather at the moment!

I agree the FOV is fantastic and I was puzzled by the reasoning in the thread regarding the experimental scope/ccd tool; I seem to recall there was a question raised about the validity of the theory's application to modern-day equipment and it does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Barry

Yes Barry, I was posing the question of is the "limit" was applicable any more. What is considered to be a reasonable pixel limit and what level is considered under-sampled ? There was a QSI 683 for sale last week on AstroBuy for just over £2K and I wimped out :( now I regret that decision.

Yes Barry, I was posing the question of is the "limit" was applicable any more. What is considered to be a reasonable pixel limit and what level is considered under-sampled ? There was a QSI 683 for sale last week on AstroBuy for just over £2K and I wimped out :( now I regret that decision.

Sorry, I never expressed my self clearly - my puzzlement arose from the thread of the original FLO announcement, not your comment in this post.

I saw the advert too - there is a 583 for sale . . . but has much slower download times I understand?

Barry

Edit: just re-read the advert on ABS and see it a colour 583 rather than mono.

Thanks Paddy.

I have managed two evenings of testing, figuring correct sequence to start-up and connect to ascom etc and I think I have the workflow sorted.  The first run I had a couple of errors messages and had to shutdown/re-start etc.  The second evening test run went very smoothly and roof closed on cue.  Now need a clear evening and I'll be able to capture data whilst sleeping!  Cloud watcher next . . .

Barry

Archived