NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Docter, Docter, I can see five moons......

Stu

......unfortunately I can't think of a punchline [emoji6]

So, I had a nice little observing session over at my parents this evening. Having recently acquired an SQM-L meter, I was interested to verify my belief that the skies are darker here, and sure enough they came out around 19.4, vs 18.7 for home last night. Both under similar, quite transparent conditions.

The reason for the title of this thread was that whilst observing Saturn with the Tak FC-100 and Docter 12.5mm eyepiece, I noticed how lacking in light scatter the view was. After a few moments, I was able to see four moons, something I wasn't expecting at this mag (x59). They were Titan, Rhea, Dione and the one I was most surprised by, Tethys. This is mag 10.6 and was tucked quite close to the planet, so I was chuffed to catch it.

The moons were beautifully resolved, perfect, tiny pin points of light, really lovely to see.

Hang on a minute you say, he said five moons! Well yes, upping the mag to x148 using a 5mm BGO I then caught Iapetus at mag 11.4, but quite a way further out.

What interested me was that in this view I lost Dione and Tethys in the glare, showing that using the right mag, and not always the highest is important for picking these objects out.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need a punchline!

I think I got a decent capture of Saturn tonight and wasn't sure if the dots around were stars or moons! I hope the processing shows them tomorrow and I'll be pleased.

Sounds like you had a decent session Stu.

You did well Stu, i cant even see Saturn due to a silly great building called Blackdyke mills blocking the view, not for much longer as i should be moving in a couple of weeks

its quite a thrill to see that many moons, and yes i totally agree that getting the mag right is important

You don't need a punchline!

I think I got a decent capture of Saturn tonight and wasn't sure if the dots around were stars or moons! I hope the processing shows them tomorrow and I'll be pleased.

Sounds like you had a decent session Stu.

Thanks Tony. Most of the decent planetarium programs or apps will allow you to identify the moons. This is from SkySafari. SaturnMoons is a good iOS app to try too, as is JupiterMoons.

71b1e1636ec0bf3ee20896705d995992.jpg

2cc7879d6f1ad380d4d6911e5053b508.jpg

Just for info, this is the FOV at x59, 1.42 degrees. Saturn was pretty small but beautifully set against the stars. No glare or scatter at all.

99fb1a7c50c0e799e02c92896378bddb.jpg

Stu - You can see the moons of Saturn ????? !!!!!!

I can just find Saturn in the low murk of Manchester to my south - I can see the rings but there is no hint of the Cassini division at all.......

I need to move :smiley:

Nice report Stu :smiley:

I had similar views through the TAL 100 last night. Iapetus can be challenging because it's usually well away from the planet and rather fainter than the brightest 4. Cassini was nicely resolved too and I "suspected" hints of the Crepe ring from time to time though the low altitude makes the latter rather a challenge with 100mm aperture at the current time.

I didn't realise that you had a Docter 12.5mm - very nice by all accounts :grin:

I made do with a humble 6.3mm TAL plossl for my Saturn views last night :rolleyes2:

Stu - You can see the moons of Saturn ????? !!!!!!

I can just find Saturn in the low murk of Manchester to my south - I can see the rings but there is no hint of the Cassini division at all.......

I need to move :smiley:

I did indeed last night, because I was observing somewhere different with darker skies and less murk down low. At home they are trickier and I doubt I would have got them in a 4" scope.

Nice report Stu :smiley:

I had similar views through the TAL 100 last night. Iapetus can be challenging because it's usually well away from the planet and rather fainter than the brightest 4. Cassini was nicely resolved too and I "suspected" hints of the Crepe ring from time to time though the low altitude makes the latter rather a challenge with 100mm aperture at the current time.

I didn't realise that you had a Docter 12.5mm - very nice by all accounts :grin:

I made do with a humble 6.3mm TAL plossl for my Saturn views last night :rolleyes2:

Cheers John. I realise it's not an earth shattering observation, but I was surprised to get them at such low mag, and that they were so clear. I was also surprised by how much more glare there was with the BGO at higher mag, so I couldn't see them. The eyepiece was clean and normally BGOs are as good as it gets for this. Will try again another night.

I've seen the crepe ring quite clearly a couple of times recently in the Tak and the Vixen. Strangely, last night neither it or Cassini were clear, despite what appeared to be steady seeing.

A great report Stu and even though Saturn is low it just shows what a quality refractor will show.

Now the confession - I have never heard of a Docter EP before so I googled the product. Its an expensive piece of kit - when did you get it?

Thanks Mark.

Don't worry about confessions, I hadn't heard of them until relatively recently. I blame that young whipper-snapper Gerry for introducing me to it! [emoji3]. I suppose I've had it a month or so now, really pleased with it.

It's a really nice piece of kit. Ortho like views but with an 84 degree field of view. It works beautifully for solar white light, and also barlows really well with the VIP for higher powers. I split some nice doubles like this last night.

I just wish these made others in the range but this is the only one.

With the Tak I often find myself using only a 24mm Panoptic as a finder/wide field, the Docter as a mid power and the barlowed Leica as a high power.

There is a nice purity of view looking through a decent frac, I must say. [emoji3]

Stu I have done some more research on these Docter EPs and I found this on an American website.

In a 2013 book (copyright) it states that this is the best eyepiece in its class

In the United States its $699 about £470 - shall I bring one back when I go in two weeks :smiley:

Stu I have done some more research on these Docter EPs and I found this on an American website.

In a 2013 book (copyright) it states that this is the best eyepiece in its class

In the United States its $699 about £470 - shall I bring one back when I go in two weeks :smiley:

It's considered at least as good as the 13mm Ethos, possibly even a little better by some. If there were more in the range it might be an even more attractive proposition although, like the Ethos, quite deep pockets are required !

I was considering one a while back and asked for views on it v's the Ethos 13 on the CN forum. The feedback I got was very positive though slightly ambiguous rather than a definite nod for the Docter so I did not pursue it. Definitely a class act eyepiece though :smiley:

I think it would be rude not to Mark [emoji6]

We had a great view of Saturn's moons last night at the public observing event at the science festival smack in the middle of Cheltenham. The Cassini division was quite difficult to make out for us as well, even though the moons were pinpoint. We saw 5 as well. This is was the 10" Dob and TeleVue 21mm plossl & 2.5x Barlow (140x). It was just clearing the rooftops as it was getting dark.

Who should be the first person to spot it? S@N's Pete Lawrence :rolleyes::)

I was chuffed at the number of people who attended and Saturn was definitely 'best in show'.

We had a great view of Saturn's moons last night at the public observing event at the science festival smack in the middle of Cheltenham. The Cassini division was quite difficult to make out for us as well, even though the moons were pinpoint. We saw 5 as well. This is was the 10" Dob and TeleVue 21mm plossl & 2.5x Barlow (140x). It was just clearing the rooftops as it was getting dark.

Who should be the first person to spot it? S@N's Pete Lawrence :rolleyes::)

I was chuffed at the number of people who attended and Saturn was definitely 'best in show'.

Sounds like a great evening Rik. Glad the weather played ball.

......unfortunately I can't think of a punchline

I'm sure there must be a punchline involving a bus on a motorway on its way to a Hen Night but I can't think of it :wink:

I'm intrigued by this Docter EP and talk of it being better than my beloved 13mm Ethos - can this be true? My bank manager is sweating!

Great report of the moons, Stu. I can normally see three from my garden but need to put some work in trying to figure out which is which. I have an app on my iPhone that should help so I will give that a go this evening.

I'm sure there must be a punchline involving a bus on a motorway on its way to a Hen Night but I can't think of it :wink:

I'm intrigued by this Docter EP and talk of it being better than my beloved 13mm Ethos - can this be true? My bank manager is sweating!

Great report of the moons, Stu. I can normally see three from my garden but need to put some work in trying to figure out which is which. I have an app on my iPhone that should help so I will give that a go this evening.

Cheers Derek. I'm certainly not moving the 13 Ethos on, but I do find the Docter very comfortable and sharp to use. Like the CN report says, the eye relief and 84 degree afov are as much to do with it as any optical difference.

The background certainly is dark, and I wonder if this helped me pick out the other moons?

Great report Stu... I cant think of any clean punch lines so I will keep my thoughts to myself. But it does include waxing :grin:

I believe Young Gerry is a fan of the Docter eyepiece and has owned one for quite some time, so he may be the man, as well as Stu, to talk to about them if anyone is thinking of buying one.

Yes I saw five dots last night as well but presumed some might be field stars! I could see the main division in the rings....a lovely sight...glad the outreach went well Rik.

There were a few field stars around, they show in the screen shots I put up.

I agree with Stu's assessment- the Docter 12.5mm UWA is very good and it does present an orthoscopic view IMHO. It's light transmission is high and the contrast is top tier as well, Stu's observations with it are not surprising to me at all...

Interesting the fella in the CN thread was thread was going to sell his Ethos and keep the Doc... :grin:

Archived