Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Theophilus, Cyrillus & Catharina (inc Rupes Altai)

Blazar

A quick set of images taken from my doorstep (literally) using the 120MM-S on the C8 Edge HD. Second go at Lunar imaging (with a CMOS camera) in general. Focused on my favourite set of craters for this thread.

gallery_27945_3180_436781.jpg

gallery_27945_3180_92226.jpg

gallery_27945_3180_76565.jpg

Had other targets so will post those in another thread.  Used OACapture, PIPP, ASI2, RS6 then photoshop. first go at using a Baader IR pass filter.

I do need to sop using the auto gain, and switch to managing it manually....stop blowing out the highlights!

Thanks for looking.

Wow, amazing shots. Is this with a barlow or 2 or just the 120 straight into the 800?

Thanks for the kind words gents. These are straight through I think (except the last one perhaps). I have had to crop slightly to remove the after effects of stacking. Must say the frame rate on the MM-S is amazing. I have a lot more to post up today.  Managed to take so many avis I almost filled my start up disk (over 20GB) in under 30 mins. I had to stop, export some off to a hard drive then start again. 

I do have one with a TAL x 2 barlow ( Me an Jules have a thing for TAL's ;-)), I will see if I can add it on. it does have some dust bunnies though I can't seem to remove...and focusing even with a moonlite is difficult...

here it is...same image scale of 'large':

gallery_27945_3180_434022.jpg

I've forgotten to add my CMOS cameras to the previous post Steve, Starshoot ll usb {high power}1/4 chip processing thru sharpcap , Levenhuk T510NG color digital 1/2.5 chip w/IR filter {wide field}processing thru Toupview software that came with the camera. I started out using Amcap software that came with my SSUE ll and I've found that Sharpcap is much easier for me. The Toupview software is still trying to be figured out.

very good high powered detailed images, I envy your ability to zoom in that much. My cameras will zoom up to 400% but, they are not focusing other than a blur. AWESOME close ups "KUDOS"

Thanks for the comments. I know the feeling re zooming. I used to do that with my jupiter images using a small handheld camera. good fun though!

I've forgotten to add my CMOS cameras to the previous post Steve, Starshoot ll usb {high power}1/4 chip processing thru sharpcap , Levenhuk T510NG color digital 1/2.5 chip w/IR filter {wide field}processing thru Toupview software that came with the camera. I started out using Amcap software that came with my SSUE ll and I've found that Sharpcap is much easier for me. The Toupview software is still trying to be figured out.

Have you tired using PIPP first ? I find it lines everything up nicely before going into stacking (ASI2 - Autostakkert). once I have finished with that I get an output TIFF that I then need to work on in Registax 6. Thats when you can really sharpen them with a tool  called wavelets.

all the software above is free of course! Might be worth giving that a go with the output from the starshoot. I would post up an AVI for people to play with but not sure where I could throw 1.24GB of data!

Might do a lunar imaging thread showing what I do....

I started last fall after letting my Starshoot sit for 6 months while I just went hunting with my Z10 dobsonian. I would pull out the refractor every now and then trying to teach myself the equatorial thing, I hadn't used one before, always alt/az. Then I met my astro buddy that lives 1500 miles away and he got me to try and image and he actually got me into AP after everyone told me that I wouldn't be able to do it because of my disabilities. Proved them all wrong. I've used maxim DL , reg 6,and tried GIMP couldn't really figure it out and felt unconfortable. I've also been working with wavelet layers, histogram, and NCH photopad for sharpening, exposure, etc.. and I have Autostacket in my downloads just waiting until I find someone to help me understand how to get something that looks better coming out than it did going in. Steve  I 'll tell ya this processing stuff is trial and error and it's been a real monster for me downright evil. Taking some so so data and making it worse.

Data is king....found that out recently (trying to do DSO stuff).  Would recommend the PIPP. autostakkert combo...pipp lines up all the frames for AS to stack. it can do both surface (so lunar) as well as its primary purpose of planets. I just stick with the defaults for Pipp (just tell it the AVI is a surface one and tell it to do its thing). AS is a little bit more fiddly.  open up the avi, do an analysis run, so i can see how AS rates the individual frames. Then check the quality graph it produces. I was taking only the best 40-60% of frames (from 1500 frame runs).  mind you focus and seeing on the night also has a lot to do with the final image. Keep at it....it all clicks into place in the end....and I have a long way to go yet!

Archived