Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going ultra deep - 12 billion lightyears near M82

Avdhoeven

I wanted to see what was the furthest I ever found in an image. Recently I had been working on imagery of M81/82 together with Neil Fleming and Michael Van Doorn. These images went very deep, up to magnitude 24.0 or so (credits for that fully go to Neil!). In this image I found two objects at 11.9 and 12.1 billion lightyears. This is really astonishing for me... Never thought amateur imagery could show something like this... I double checked this with the Aladin Sky Atlas and I'm really convinced they are visible... Reference images are shown...

13589009855_013acf9da9.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - incredible image and mind blowing to think that the light is that old....! A little more perspective on this whole life thing. Wow again. Thank you for posting.

It somehow puts our daily concerns and futile preoccupations into perspective.

Regards,

A.G

Blimey -- not bad for a newbie :smiley:  (just visited your website!). I've never seen so much wispy stuff in the M81/82 region too, and the detail in Holmberg XI is incredible. Is that another satellite just left of centre?

Martin

Newbie ???? You must be kidding.

A.G

Newbie ???? You must be kidding.

A.G

Yes, hence the smiley.

I was referring to the fact that according to his website he started out in astrophotography in 2010, which, in the scheme of things (i.e. producing such astounding astrophotos) is pretty recent in my book. Its a compliment and I hope taken as such.

Martin

Thank you all very much for the very nice responses.

Martin: I do feel like a newbie sometimes between the great photographers that are already in this field for decades. It's true I started only 4 years ago, so I don't feel insulted at all :)

Excellent work as usual Andre, i missed this one on my Flickr feed!

What was your process for finding these? Did you slowly visually scan the image to find them? That must of taken some time!

At that distance and for the photon's to have a chance to get to us I'd guess they are early galaxy cores, so multiple stars post population III??? (This is where I get hazy, please help me SGL peoples! :)).

Archived