Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unboxing my brand new 130pds

Posted Image

It's here!!! Fortunately the guy rang twice, because otherwise I would have slept until evening after my nights...

Delivery time: less than 5 days - thanks FLO!!

Posted Image

Everything neatly packed.

Posted Image

Pet friendly! FLO never seizes to amaze.

Posted Image

Mhm, smth seems to have poked through.

Posted Image

Nicely bubble wrapped.

Posted Image

And here it is:

SW 130/650 with 2 speed crayford focuser - nice and smooth - much better than the 130p rack and pinion

Tube rings are fine but IMHO the 210mm dovetail bar is a bit short when trying to balance the scope. Will use my own long one.

My first 2" 28mm eyepiece! They are massive! I couldn't have imagined them to be so much larger than the 1.25" counter parts... But why oh why does it only have a bottom cover? How am I gonna protect it from dust.

A 2" and a 1.25" focuser adapter. Neat to have both now.

And the run-of-the-mill 6x30 straight through finder scope with the typical horrible plastic screw bracket - won't get any use I don't think...

Screw driver and spanner is a nice thought... That's what counts.

Posted Image

Let's see if it's collimated: almost. Sigh, it's so nice to have a focuser that doesn't move the scope in & out of collimation...

Right. I'll test now whether I can achieve focus on the horizon with my DSLR, webcam and visually. Am intrigued...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, focusing: (cats locked outside the room)

32mm 1.25" - check

28mm 2" with 2" extension tube - check

15mm BST 1.25" - check

8mm BST 1.25" - check

2x & 3x Barlow with 32mm - check

2x & 3x Barlow with 15mm - check

2x & 3x Barlow with 8mm - check

SPC w/o Barlow & 2x & 3x Barlow - check

Now for the 450D...

Right.

A short moment of shock and then relief.

No chance for focus with the 1.25" camera adapter.

The 2" camera adapter which I had bought a month ago by mistake, now proves to be of vital importance!!!

Pity though - I've got a 1.25" manual filter wheel. I won't be able to fit that now for the 450D.

Mhm...Posted Image

Posted Image

Adapters are crazy - just found out that the 1.25" EP holder can be taken apart and the lower bit screws into the Canon's M42 like the 2" adapter. Right, so could have saved on that one.

Right, so what it would need in order to fit a 1.25" filter wheel is a VERY low profile 1.25" camera adapter...

Is smth like that available??

Well well!

It actually was clear until maybe 10pm so I got to try out my new gear on day 1!!!! What do you say to that guys!?!?!?

Had it setup in no time on my HEQ5.

Balancing was a bit of an act, but then we achieved "oneness with the continuum". The 9x50 finder in a bracket is always top heavy. Wish I had tube rings for that. Are there any?

The 28mm EP is great! Huge FOV, easy to use. No squinting like through some of the Ploessl's I've used in the past. But I need to find out how to cover the lens top.

Stuck my Canon and QHY5 on and off I went. The focuser is a breeze compared to anything I've owned before. Holds the weight of my camera super.

Seeing was terrible, everything dropping wet within minutes, but this kinda took the pressure off to image one object more seriously. So I've played with PHD. Got a couple of questions, which will go into the PHD thread.

I did a few single 60 to 120s shots to see how things look like.

The light gathering power is tremendously faster! Who'd have thought that f/5 is faster than f/11 ... Lol...

But I noticed coma. At least I think that's what it is. Will post a few pics later. Wouldn't mind if you could tell me if I need a coma corrector or better collimation.

I don't think I'd bother using the filter wheel with a DSLR.  At best you'd only be using half the pixels (imaging with a green filter) and for red or blue you'd be using a quarter of them.  You might as well leave the filters out and use all the pixels available.

James

Archived