NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Drowning in Glory!

leebca

Hi all!

The short(er) version of my long story ---

Retired 2 months ago.  Always wanted to get into astronomy.  Joined two local clubs.  Each has a observation site; each site has pads and observatories for lease.  Waiting list is long for both leases and both sites/clubs.

2 months ago I bought a NexStar 8.  Things going fairly well.  Decided I liked one club and its site better and put my name on the waiting list for a pad.  Two weeks ago, in the club's newsletter they announce that an observatory is available.  Confused, I contact the site manager and he confirms, yes there are 8 people on the observatory waiting list, but they keep passing up the observatory when one becomes available -- guess it's bad timing for them.

I signed the lease papers and now I am leasing an observatory at a very nice (dark and often clear sky) site.  Works out well, since I was getting a bit tired setting up and tearing down and carrying around the NexStar 8.  Since I don't have to setup/carry around the scope, the telescope store I bought it from offered to take it back from me and give me full credit towards a larger scope.

I 'ordered' the Meade 14" LX850 scope.  It was shipped yesterday.  Having a pier built for it and fixing up the observatory as quick as I can.  Busy, busy, busy!  I'm into the hobby with both feet!

Happy to find this group of forums and hope to learn a lot, since I have a lot to learn!  :D

LEE

Well done Lee I'm not sure that we have similar arrangements in this country; leasing an observatory sounds like a great idea. You will have a wonderful time.

I also (partly) retired recently and the freedom to stay up late, or get up early, to enjoy the skies is very liberating

Kerry

Thank you all for being so welcoming.  Rather than posting a couple separate posts, I'll try to combine my replies to various posts into this single post:

Dana,

Not a baseball fan.  My father was (unfortunately).  As a baby he kept smacking away my right hand when I reached for things.  He forced me to be a left-hander because (ready for this?) "A left-handed pitcher makes more money!"  I was a disappointment to him on multiple levels.   :grin:

wookie1965,

Where is the right place to post equipment/setup photos?

Thanks all! :happy3:

Archived