Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

March 14, 2013: C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS spotted!

At 19:15 I went to the end of the street with the kids, armed with 3 pairs of bins: The Helios 15x70 (wielded by me), the Bresser 10x50 (wielded by Robert (9)) and an old but hale 7x50 (Yashica made, Combi-Foto rebranded, wielded by Frank (10)), and a Cullman tripod. We found a place where the view west was not too badly impaired by trees etc, and I pointed out the right region in the sky to look for the comet. Robert started looking near zenith first despite my best efforts to make it clear that was not the best location :rolleyes:. Frank followed my suggestion and systematically started scanning the region below and to the north of the moon. Robert soon followed suit.

I had just spotted a few stars in the region, when Frank yelled out that he had found it. He pointed me to a fairly wide space between the tops of two trees, and said the comet was right in the middle. I tried and behold, a beautiful comet showed up, with a bright coma, and slightly curved tail of more than a degree I would say. I quickly set up the tripod and attached the big bins, found the comet again, and let Robert have a look as well. He was thunderstruck! "Ooh, COOOOOOOOL!!!" were his words. Frank also had a good look, and after that we took turns with the big bins, until a low bank of clouds cut the show short. By that time Robert was getting cold and wanted to go home. I showed them the moon through the big bins, and the both pointed their smaller ones at the moon as well, both very pleased at seeing both the craters along the terminator, and very bright earth-shine. "I can see the whole surface" cried Frank.

As we walked home, Frank was over moon about the fact that he had found it first. He hopped skipped and jumped all the way home. Robert was very tired by then, but also very pleased he had seen it. Comet number six for me (and number two for the kids; I showed them Garradd last year). Both agreed this one was much better than Garradd. I have just tucked too very contented little boys in. Even if it clouds over the rest of the night, I am also very happy!

Yes Michael its great to show your sons a comet which they will remember for the rest of their lives. I showed my two sons Halleys Comet in 1986 and said that it would not return until 2061 but hoped they they might see it again.

I am loooking forward to the comet passing close to M31.

Mark

I tell you what Michael nothing gives me a bigger smile than my boys 'playing' with my toys, it's great fun & anything to help with their education can only be good for them.

Maybe Frank should be out with you a bit more Michael as your spotter :grin:

Too many clouds here tonight maybe tomorrow i hope.

Ewan

I tell you what Michael nothing gives me a bigger smile than my boys 'playing' with my toys, it's great fun & anything to help with their education can only be good for them.

Maybe Frank should be out with you a bit more Michael as your spotter :grin:

Too many clouds here tonight maybe tomorrow i hope.

Ewan

It is great to get the kids involved. Frank is becoming quite an enthusiast, and has 18 Messiers under his belt (and a little NGC cluster wedged between two of the bright Messiers in the Sagittarius/Scorpius region). This summer we are going to a farm in Tuscany, and he wants to bring his mini-Dob along so he can look at the stars. I am not stopping him!

Hope you are lucky with Panstarrs soon

Cheers

Michael

Archived