Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Red Dot Finder

G2EWS

Hi All,

After SGL6 I realise that I definitely need a Red Dot Finder of some sorts. Looking through my Finder Scope was pointless as I know almost nothing of the sky. So whatever I saw meant nothing to me. I am sure that will change with time and experience, but in the mean time I would like to make my job easier.

So what will fit on my Skywathcher 80ED?

Rigel Quickfinder looked neat on Lukes Dob.

The Telrad seems to be top of the shop in terms of quality and ability.

Or should I go for something like the Meade MySky Planetarium, or the Celestron SkyScout Planetarium? Both giving additional benefits other than a red dot finder.

Or do you suggest something else?

Best regards

Chris

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris.

Finders, red dot or other types, are very much what suits you. Buy something 2nd hand and if you don't get on with it, sell it on.

On my big home setup I have a Rigel Quikfinder, then a 9x50 finderscope. Basically, If I lose alignment, I can get pretty close with the Rigel, then fine tune from there. For general use, it is the 9x50.

I used to have a telrad, but thought it a big lump that added another balance issue to the EQ mounted newt I was using, so got rid.

I also have a couple of small red dot finders to use with camera+lens type of photography. Beware though. Some of the cheaper RDFs are far too bright and the viewing window is so dim you are pushed to see Jupiter. When I had a skywatcher scope with RDF, I modded the control circuit so I had a day (original) and night (mine) range of brightness settings.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

David.

Hi David,

Many thanks for that.

Whilst the Telrad does seem the best bit of kit, it does appear a bit on the large size and I wondered if it would fit on my 80ED anyway.

Any experience on the personal planteriums from Celestron and Meade?

Best regards

Chris

I definitely vote for the Rigel over the Telrad. Especially on a smaller diameter scope like your 80ED. The Telrad displays 3 rings instead of the 2 in the Rigel which could be a benefit if you are star hopping but the thing is as big as a shoe box.

I use a Rigel to get in the right area, then a traditional finder scope for the final alignment.

I bought a 20/10 on the basis that there's no need to remember to turn it off and the flashing dot (in theory) makes it a doddle to line up as it doesnt obscure the target object. However, the build quality is very basic ( all plastic ) and the mount sticks to the OTA using double sided tape and the red dot is VERY bright and means lining up on anything less than a bright star is impractical so overall I was unimpressed and so have now removed it.

I'm now saving the pennies for a Telrad as I like the reviews and the option to star hop using the rings and the use of standard AA batteries, though the dimmable Rigel with its selectable target sights, all metal construction and £10 lower pricetag may win in the end, particularly since there are better ways for me to steer a known number of degrees with the EQ5 than using the red-dot but that may not be the case if you have a dob.

Telrads work very well, no question, and will fit your scope but really they are sized for star hopping with big dobs. Seriously, they are about the same size as a house brick.

Here's a hastily googled picture...the Telrad is the big boxy thing up front.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lvStmkYM8gk/SkzKwRFDsCI/AAAAAAAABvI/POedohilXdQ/s400/risksastronomy.jpg

To be honest, either will do just as well.

I use a Telrad on my 10" newtonian (were it's size is not an issue) and a Rigel Quikfinder on my 6" refractor. I've single dot RDF's on my other 2 scopes which work fine but are not as convenient as the Telrad / Quikfinder though this did not stop me using them to find loads of galaxies on the Saturday night at SGL6 !.

If you want to keep your optical finder then I'd go for the Rigel. The Telrad would look too bulky on an ED80 optical tube, IMHO.

Hi Mike,

Yes I wondered about them being a bit gimmicky. I thought they were new, but was surprised to find they have been with us for quite a few years. The implication being they were hastily put together to compete against each other. The fact that no one has come forward who owns one, may just give me the answer I was looking for, by default!

Thanks Rik and John,

So we are now going back to the Rigel Quickfinder as being the most sensible on my scope.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris.

Like many here, I have never used a Skyscout, or similar box.

One of arguments against the Rigel in the Rigel/Telrad comparison was the circle size. Given that many sky chart software packages offer the option to put whatever size of circle you want on the screen, or printout, that argument weakens.

The Rigel uses a single CR2032 coin cell. Like with many finders, you have to remember to switch it off. These cells used to be thought of as awkward to buy. But no longer, coin cells are readily available and cheap if you buy carefully.

OK, time to own up. I have one Rigel on my MN78 obsy installation. Another swappable for whichever scope goes on my (garden/field) EQ5. So I'm biassed!

David.

Both were bought 2nd hand and in good condition.

I've got:

Rigel and a right angled finder on my dob.

William Optics finder on my ED80.

Telrad in the naughty drawer being punished for being a big lump with no significant advantages over the other two.

Mike

I have a Telrad on my C9.25 and it is fantastic. I would not dream of putting it on my 80mm Zenithstar though, it would look ridiculous! Also, I think the sliding dew shield of the Zenithstar means there is not a big enough area to mount the Telrad on anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks David and Rich,

Rich, how is fitted? I am not sure from the description if it goes in place of the finderscope or you fit it elsewhere.

Regards

Chris

It sticks on Chris, but the main box is detachable from the base so that it becomes less awkward to store the scope.

I used to use a Rigel. It is the single biggest reason why I still do astronomy. I was about to give up because I couldn't find anything, and then I bought the Rigel. Suddenly I could star hop and know where/what I was looking at. I really liked the light weight and the flashing option. Mine had an accident though and stopped working :rolleyes: I bought a scope which came with a Telrad and I must admit I really like it too.

In all honesty, both will be great, they're just slightly different, so just buy one or the other and enjoy :icon_eek:.

Helen

Thanks Mike, Chris, Helen and Rich again,

Seems to be swaying towards a Rigel now!!!

Who knows what is the best if any? I will probably throw a dice and order one up. Or call up someone like FLO and find out they only have on in stock!!

Regards

Chris

Baader Skysurfer V rules ;-)

Never used one, but they look cool.

Chris,

talk to FLO and see what they say. IMHO, the Rigel Quickfinder is the right size for your scope.

Never used one, but they look cool.

Chris,

talk to FLO and see what they say. IMHO, the Rigel Quickfinder is the right size for your scope.

The Baader V's are cool, and they go very feint too...I have one and it's served me well, but they are twice the price of the Rigel Which I have looked through and found fine.

I would advise against the WO one (which I also have) unless you're not too worrie about brightness. IMHO it is on the brighter side, but still useable if I'm trying to centre a guide star.

Sorry I didn't get across to chat. You were out the few times I passed, but I'm sure we'll see you at some point.

Glad you had such a great time though. Best wishes

Michael

Archived