Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Red Dot Finder

G2EWS

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It IS coming from the rifle industry. It's supposedly modified and enhanced to fit astronomy use. And supposed to be cheaper than what you would find in a gun shop.

I doubt Rigel is making those themselves, since all brands have their version of it. Just like the Skywatcher - astro tech - William Optics - field flattener. They're all identical, just the price changes.

Now I have one of those (from AT btw), and it's the reason why i switched to the Skysurfer. Because even at the lowest illumination setting, the red dot is still way too bright. It's blinding and you cant really pinpoint a star easily on it...

Telrad voter! I have two and both have been giving good service (in an astronomy hopliday place so that's a lot) for over ten years. They run on big batteries not watch tablets, stay lit for days and days if you forget them, are easy to align, spare bases are available and the rings give a sense of scale.

One of my all time favourite bits of kit.

Olly

And I use mine on the lowest setting and it's absolutely fine.

Then again, I only need it for 30 seconds to get a star on the CCD so I can align the GOTO - and now I have access to photometry I don't even need that.

I got a the cheapest gun type red dot sight I could find - they are all the same and it works perfectly on both my scopes. Something like this, which is made by Rigel but is not what most people call a Rigel finder!

Rigel Rigel MRF Red Dot Finder with base.

I have just purchased a Rigel Red Dot Finderscope the "RD400" and early experiences have been very satisfactory as against a real mental struggle with a regular 6x30 finderscope.

Like many other posters (As I discovered after buying it) that the model appears in many guises and I do really wonder who actually makes it!

There is a version which seems to have been adapted for astronomy use but it does cost a bit more. The adaptation is to have a less bright image.

See link below:-

multi-reticle finder

With mine I have been able to get by quite happily on the smallest dot reticule on the lowest setting but I would welcome any mods that might reduce the overall brightness - which may help with the dimmer objects. (resistor in LED circuit / neutral density filter??)

I certainly like the idea of just trying to get my mind around the telescope's mirror flip image as opposed to having to contend with a finderscope which is mirror flipped and inverted as well!! (If it is a criticism of "Turn Left At Orion" this is it - the object finder charts are 1. Naked eye then 2. Finderscope mirror and inverted and finally 3. Mirror flipped only - but perhaps they had their reasons)

I got my Rigel from:-

GSO GSO (MRF) Multi LED Reticule Reflex Finder on pedestal quick release foot for Orion, Sky Watcher, Helios etc

BUT STRANGELY!! mine was described as Scopeteknic (but received branded as Rigel with the pictured support) and as of 24th March 2011 was only £34.99 including postage!! - certainly not GSO @ £40.99 as per this link!

A further quick check shows the Scopteknic is available at £34.99 but note it excludes the support!!:-

ScopeTeknix (MRF) Multi LED Reticule Reflex Finder on quick release foot for Orion, Sky Watcher, Helios etc

All this branding is very puzzling!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_eek::confused::rolleyes:

Please do ring to check they have it in stock if you choose to order one!

I have 3 rigels and a telrad. All are good, but the telrad has the edge I think, although it's a bit big.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello at SGL6....the dreaded lurgy got me!!

Rob

Wow, thanks everyone for the additional information.

Every time I make my mind up I come back to another change of heart. Reckon I will look to see if the Telrad will fit. If not the Rigel has it!!

Thanks Helen, for clearing up the confusion, that was the one I thought of as I looked through Lukes.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Rob,

Forgot to say, no worries, if I had not been so star struck (pun intended!) by all the knowledge and information being bombarded on me I would have got the chance to walk around and talk to people.

Managed it on Monday before leaving!

Best regards

Chris

On my ED70 I find that I can do without a red dot (or indeed any) finder. I simply squint along the tube and then the 38mm SWA (or 30mm plossl when out carrying a 1.25" diagonal) gives enough field to find what I am looking for. The Telrad I use on the newt would not fit the 70mm.

Archived