Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wondering what annoys you about your Dobsonian 8/10"?

I know people usually ask what is good but I would like to know what it is that annoys you about your Dob 8" or 10" as it is either of these that I have decided to buy (funds dependant on whether it is the 8 or 10") and just want to know the bad side of it also.

Thanks.

I've had both an 8" and 10" SkyWatcher dob. They are really very good but do benefit from a few improvements to get the best out of them.

Here are the things that I found needed improving:

1. Azimuth movement (needs to be smoother)
  2. Finder (Change to RA and also add a Telrad)
  3. Focuser (Standard is usable but £100.00 will by a nice quality dual speed crayford)
  4. Carry handle for OTA (so much easier to move around)

Search for AZ improvements and you'll find a few simple tips to improve smoothness)

John

Seriously, you won't be disappointed with either of these. The mods I have made to my 10" collapsible dob are here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/134095-10-dob-mods.html

and here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/135241-10-dob-mods-part-2-collapsible-light-shroud.html

swapping the supplied finder for a Telrad was probably the biggest improvement.

what annoys me most about my 10" is that you can't use budget low power widefield (2") e/ps.

Yes that's right, budget wide field eyepieces ( high or low power )

give fuzzy stars towards the edge of field of view in these scopes.

You can just live with that, many do, or spend a lot more for Tele

Vue, Pentax XW, Vixen LVW and a very few others.

But you don't really need a huge collection of eyepieces, just three

are in use 90% of the time in my 10" Dob. Or second hand of course

can save you some money.

Regards, Ed.

I found a 12" dob (Meade Lightbridge) annoying because of it's weight - it was just too much to move around easily so I did not use it as much as it deserved.

Other than that, most "annoyances" with dobs can be sorted by some DIY type modifications - that's one of the joys of them in fact :icon_eek:

The "upside" of having such a large aperture within your grasp at such a low price by far outweighs any minor disadvantages for me.

I have an 8" dob (or did have until I put it on EQ5 yesterday) I could find little to complain snout other than the brake on the mount wasn't very good, could only be tightened with an Alan Key so could be tricky, a knob would have been better.

In agreement with above I would have preferred a better focuser but I cheaper out and didn't upgrade at POS. I did upgrade the finder from a straight through to a right angled one, with all the will in the world I couldnt bend that much.

Used to have a 10" dob, but it never got used. Was too big to manhandle easily into the front garden, and the space in the garden was really too small to use on the odd occasion that I did. That said, if neither of those apply, aperture is probably king ...

Thanks so much everyone.

Can you put a 10" on one of the heavy duty mounts?

MrsR I have my 8" on the non heavy duty EQ5 so I'm sure that the 10" should be ok. They do usually give a max payload, so have a look on the website (though the skywatcher one itself isn't great). They heavy duty mounts will certainly give you less vibration, plus they come with go-to built in I believe.

I have a 10" and they are superb at giving you views of a lot of things both in and out side our solar system. Out of the box one of these can get you up and observing in no time but there are room for improvements. If Sky-watcher sold them with all the bells and whistles then the price tag would be more than most new to astronomy would want to pay for a first scope. So it gives the beginner a chance to get a large aperture scope at an affordable cost to see if astronomy is for them. Once you decide OK I want to pursue the hobby then if you feel there was the need you can make those modifications bit by bit. Usually making modifications helps to keep the interest alive during the summer months. In answer to you question when asked what annoys me I would have to say nothing! If I do feel an improvement can be made I look to make it. You need not take a loan out and start modding the moment you get the scope as it is usable with out modifications. The only advice I would give is no matter what scope you do decide to buy always try to see it in person first as some scopes are a right handful http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing.html

SPACEBOY

Archived