NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn in superb seeing

Paul Haese

Neil I take your point ;) but I know this guy pretty well and what his motivations are really about. If he is not the center of attention he acts like a child and takes this tack. I have been into planetary imaging since 2004 (into astronomy since 1972) I think I know what I am doing most of the time with processing. We all make processing mistakes from time to time but bold statements that are untrue must have a response.

Crikey....!:pB):grin:

I was going to apologise as soon as I got back home (just then) after hearing about the initial comments you made here about seemingly offending you Paul over what seems to me to be a "storm in a teacup".....I'll still apologise for making that comment if it makes you feel better, despite the offensive remarks above (talk about the pot calling the kettle black!)

I note you're a newbie (vacuum) here on SGL, and you may not appreciate that this is a "genteel forum" for AA'ers where courteousness is practised - even if we disagree mildly or strongly with each other, there is allways a sense of decorum and respect shown, and the sort of rubbish above is quite unacceptable imho!

So let's all try to maintain the camaraderie and bonhommie that SGL is noted for in future despite your outburst Paul - clear skies, Darryl.;):)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darryl me thinks you doth protest too much. Now don't make out like this is not the first time you have acted like this; bans from several forums in the southern hemisphere for being obnoxious. Its not what you say Darryl it is the way you say it. Be a good boy now and go back to your thread. I did come into your thread and say stuff. You must have felt guilty as I did not write your name, so it would have been hard to tell whom I was talking about. Just because you are not the center of attention now, does not mean you have to write insulting things in your own thread and use my name. My body of work stands for itself, no need to try and insult to elevate yourself.

Yes I know how to be genteel. Perhaps you could follow your own words for a change. Now please go away.

Glad you posted here Paul, this is an amazing image and we all dream of seeing like that, your processing is very natural and a guide for me so glad you got round to imaging Saturn with the good seeing it needs. I am relatively inexperienced and overdo things processing wise but I am learning.

John.

Paul Haese, kokatha man,

Your knowledge, experience and expertise are welcome but we value SGL's sense of community more highly. Please respect each other's work and opinions and keep your disagreements offline.

Thanks guys,

Hey John, you are no slouch either mate. I just happened to be out there on the night when the seeing hit. I can say I have seen plenty of your images this year and wished for just one night of good seeing. That might indeed but my last lot of seeing for this apparition, but one thing is for sure; if it is good seeing I am going to be imaging in it and taking the opportunities.

Fantastic result.:icon_eek:

How has the storm on Saturn affected imaging times as in how long can you image at that FL before the storm starts to blur through planetary rotation?

Mike.

Actually not a lot I don't think. This image was about 5 minutes in duration. Mind you if you use an LRGB sequence you might be able to shorten that by a considerable amount and sharpen up the image a lot.

I should add, that if we were trying to get the sort of image detail sought after when imaging Jupiter then shorter runs are preferrable, but given the sort of detail visible on Saturn it is more akin to albedo features. If I had a big enough scope I could shorten up the imaging runs to the same as Jupiter and then the detail would be much sharper and not have blurring.

There is a slight marginal difference in rotation from Jupiter to Saturn but not really enough to make a big impact. So to get sharp data one still needs to follow the blur rotation time frames if you are trying to get data as sharp as you can.

Archived