Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 19th march red

neil phillips

I only got a coupe of moments when seeing calmed for moments during any avi, by the time i tried a RGB my flat was misted, and seeing dived even more.

In the process of major changes on the scope, there might be vignetting as i had to move the primary 30 mm forward to fit a now open back spx 9 point cell. I used a 12mm eyepice on the moon but couldnt see any vignetting. If anyone knows that it would show like that ?

Im not to sure of the collimation either, as the laser was about a inch away from centre. visualy collimation looked reasonable, so i ignored the laser. Its never been checked to see if its collimated but i have always used it. try as i did i could not get even a semi reasonable visual collimation with the laser centred. I may try to rotate the cell to see if that helps. but i suspect it wont. as of yet im not sure what the error is.

00:29 UT

5539703505_a7cf16f725_o.png

00:39

5539703503_cfbc77a8d6_o.png

Hi Malcom, its a Orion 10" ( actually in reality its not. the primary is 245mm ) Newtonian, f6.3 1/10th pv optics.And a DMK 21A Camera, neq6 mount. 8" scopes will struggle on saturn, that extra 45mm actually does quite a bit. Shooting in red, is the next best thing to shooing in IR. Ive only managed one colour shot at this quality level so far. I belive much better could be had with this equipment on saturn at 34 degrees. but seeing will just not settle for long enough. anoying to say the least these are about 150% resamples

Depends if there heating is on Stuart, if its been turned off hours before, things like that. Ive also got good images over house roofs mostly in warmer climates. occassionaly in winter. what we are talking about here is heat rising from the roof i reckon. could be wrong. but winters worse here no question. I still reckon its thermal. whatever way you look at it. seeing is up and down like a yo yo. some avis were the pits

Cheers

These really are pretty good for such low alt especially first one, for me if I was still in UK this would be rooftopped and very turbulent and probably a waste of time. First one shows good banding and second has more storm detail coming through. I have experimented with gamma and found at 1100 it can enhance storm detail sometimes but does not damage it at least.

John.

Cheers All

Freddy if i could i would send some tonight. I noticed you wanted to test the new imaging cameras, any news on there release yet ?

Thanks for the encouragment John, trust me its been hard lately, i need it. After being spoiled in oz, you would hate it, spend hours waiting for a few mins in the hope those minuets will not be too turbulant, mostly they are.

occassionaly ive been getting glimpses of what could be, but it never lasts longer than a min or two, certainly not a long capture. Its the same with RGB, if i get a reasonable red, seeing can worsen fast, as time is moving, if it does that on green, it just kills the intire rgb result. if it does that on a 6min red. theres usually enough frames left to save the capture. unlike rgb.

So i still belive the strategy im using is a good one. work on reds, when they show promise switch to rgb. As a example i did that here. but within a very short time seeing worsened, and the image started to get dim due to mist and moisture. one reason why ill be doing many more reds i guess John. But im still enjoying it. storm detail on saturn is very interesting. and you know me i like a challenge. lucky really with uk weather. interesting about the gamma i assume you have been experimenting more. because you mentioned last time it did affect storm detail. so im guessing the amount is crucial. which backs up what i saw, when i was using it. though i was using too much i feel. Im glad you mentioned this, because after your gamma example you posted, ive steered clear of using it. Normally i experiment. But your example did show a big reduction in detail. but again im guessing its the amount that is crucial. so thanks for pointing this out. ill experiment, but using 11 as a safe base. the crepe certainly jumps out doesnt it. even with just a small amount. but thats the nature of gamma. the crepe was made for its use. i hated gamma ( any gamma ) on jupiter with a dbk it caused onion skin. saturn has always been strangely less affected. maybe because of the higher gain used ? im not sure

No Neil, not a word from TIS and that new D*K21 618 sensor, the last email from Jonathan was that they were still in the lab for more tests.

I should fire those high paid white coat ingeneurs and leave the testing up to the pro-amateurs, much faster and efficienter !

Freddy

Its been a while hasnt it. sounds like the boffins, have a problem. i wonder what the frame rate will be ? probably 60 fps to keep it line with usb2. but that will be ok. though one does wonder about 100 fps 1/100secs exposure on the moon as per basler, 120 fps flea. I also wonder if they will hype the price. i hope not. Its good basler is a competitor, im thinking of selling both my cameras for a mono 618 if they ever release it. and yes Freddy i would love to test this. im sure that red would be doing better here than the dmk. every ounce of performance helps.

Archived