Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed on targets that have the WOW factor

Hi all

It is not often that I’m in this section as I am Masochist , or as other people describe it an Astro imager :)

The reason I need help is that my neighbours (including their children) are coming around at the weekend to "look" through my C 11 edge SCT. I have to be honest and say that apart from the Moon and Saturn I'm really at a loss of what to show them.

So my question to all you lovely visual astronomers is.... What would be your top 3 DSO objects to observe that will give them the WOW factor.

many thanks for your ideas

Cheers Jon

Clusters mate. Either open or globs. Does it for me still.

Open Clusters - Like little diamonds on black velvet.

Globular clusters - with that big beast of a scope, a glob should be a spectacular sight. Everytime I look at them I imagine being on a planet on one of those stars.

Andy.

ps: will need to have a gander at suitable evening targets.

For variety I would say Albireo's a great example of a double, Plieades or Beehive - for an open cluster, M42 for a good Nebula, M13 (if it's up) for a globular example, and perhaps the Leo triplet or M81/82 for galaxies (cos Andromeda's not too good right now).

Mix in whatever planets are up and some views of the moon and I reckon you'll be "center of fascination" all night. Have a story to tell about each object (eg distance away from us, size, and what happens - eg starbirth in a neb or making elements in a star) - hope that helps :)

With it being the super-big full moon this weekend, it's going to have to be just the moon, Saturn, and globulars. The faint fuzzies, or even the bright ones, will be out of the question!

You could try Jupter and Mercury together just after sunset.

I have this problem when showing stuff to friends. They're so used to the amazing images which are available that, apart from the moon, they're pretty underwhelmed by what I show them, even through a 10" scope! Kids today. Huh!

With it being the super-big full moon this weekend, it's going to have to be just the moon, Saturn, and globulars. The faint fuzzies, or even the bright ones, will be out of the question!

You could try Jupter and Mercury together just after sunset.

I have this problem when showing stuff to friends. They're so used to the amazing images which are available that, apart from the moon, they're pretty underwhelmed by what I show them, even through a 10" scope! Kids today. Huh!

I know what you mean,

Last week I let a friend take a look through my scope at the moon and Saturn, but before he peered through the eyepiece he said I've seen the images from Hubble and can't wait to see them myself, when looking at Saturn, he sighed and said "O right" :)

If you're going for globular clusters try M3 - but make sure people stay at the eyepiece for some time. Get them to start looking at the outside of the glob and see if they can see individual stars, then ask them to move more towards the centre. By looking at the outside their peripheral vision will start picking up more detail towards the centre. And the more they adapt the more they'll see. Get them to describe to you what they see too, that makes people start to 'observe' rather than 'look', and most people get more involved this way.

I also like the clusters in Auriga - its nice to compare and contrast. Doubles where there is a colour difference are also very pretty!

Helen

PS if you've got Turn Left at Orion you could swat up on the targets for Spring, use those as the tour (if they're good in a small scope they'll be great in a big one!) and then really impress your neighbours with your knowledge!

PS I've found that with kids they have as much fun operating the scope as seeing things with it (particularly if you've got a game pad!) They'll love cruising the moon!

Oh, and if you're looking at the moon, do that last otherwise it'll take another 20 minutes to get dark adapted to see much else!

Assuming that the moon allows then M42, a few coloured doubles, Almaak and Alpha Casseiopia.

M31 would be good but doubtful with a full moon, simply to explain that it is the closest galaxy to us.

Would M57 in Lyra be an option?

Saturn has to be an option.

I think the moon and saturns rings will Wow them more than anything else Jon. If it is the first time they will see these, they will be impressed, especially if the moons phase is suitable for viewing the mountains rilles and craters in relief. YAou have just the instrument for the job.

Ron.

I know what you mean,

Last week I let a friend take a look through my scope at the moon and Saturn, but before he peered through the eyepiece he said I've seen the images from Hubble and can't wait to see them myself, when looking at Saturn, he sighed and said "O right" :(

Yes callisto, have also had a similair reaction from a few friends, still not all of us can truely appreciate the Cosmos.

I would agree with the comments already given Ford Prefect (John), with that scope and some decent power you are sure to have some great views of the Moon, Saturn for starters :)

Archived